Skip to content

NWN toolset's N° 1 problem

although i don't disagree w/many of the other inspired comments about how to improve the toolset, to my mind one of the most aggravating issues w/the toolset is it's just so damn slow. the reason involves both workflow and simple performance issues. why should i have to open an area when all i want to do is create or edit a placeable ? the palette should be available regardless of whether an area has been opened up. why does it take 10-15 seconds to fire up the dialog editor, when i can do the same thing within a second or two using speakeasy ? [answer - the toolset performs a lot of superfluous - and even unnecessary - checking for everything it does, and the code isn't that well written.]

i would love to see a group of co-operating independent processes. this would not only enhance performance, but also lend itself to more powerful and more flexible workflow. these could be presented as a tightly-coupled group by default, accessible via a unified gui [similar in presentation to the current toolset], whilst more experienced developers could perhaps decouple the processes to improve workflow.

if anything but a monolithic approach is just pie in the sky, then i would beg, borrow, or ... well, okay, not steal [that would be bad... :p ] to get a more spry toolset. what we have now is just such a dog, i find i do as much of my editing as i can outside of it anyway.