Skip to content

Draw/fog distance setting?

Anyone know how to increase fog distance setting in NWN? There is option for grass, but don't see one for fog. On high resolution modern computer it seems very low. I'm not sure if this is weather effect or for performance.

Comments

• PomprantPomprant Member Posts: 2
    You can modify fog distancie in edit > área properties > fog distance ( i think its called by that name, set the value to 90 ) and The fog distance will increase.
  • GrymlordeGrymlorde Member Posts: 121
    Note that objects (creatures & placeables) will still not render past 45 meters or so, regardless of the fog settings.
  • jglvz256jglvz256 Member Posts: 52
    I think he meant how to do it if you're a player. Which unfortunately you can't.
  • EetheartEetheart Member Posts: 22
    This should be something that the player can control, at least to a certain degree.

When playing the original campaign, zoomed out all the way, I can't even see my own character. That's not right.
  • SherincallSherincall Member Posts: 387
    Eetheart said:

This should be something that the player can control, at least to a certain degree.

When playing the original campaign, zoomed out all the way, I can't even see my own character. That's not right.

It is, kinda. Fog is entirely client side. The draw distance if much further than the fog distance, so you can remove the fog. But this might mess with the aesthetics the area builder had in mind. Type "mainScene.fog" in the console, then press TAB. You'll see the controls available to you.
  • JFKJFK Member Posts: 214
    Well, it's a product in part of being able to be 'zoomed out all the way'. If I'm so far out that the fog interferes, I feel like I'm sort of meta-gaming, trying to see more as a player than as a character. Not that that's inherently wrong, but if the builder designed it a certain way, he or she likely had a certain experience in mind. A builder can lock the camera at times, as part of the design. Should a player be able to override that lock at will?
    I completely understand players wanting to play how they want though, too. Enjoyment is the goal, after all.

@Sherincall nice to know about some of these console commands available. Thanks.

-JFK
    With most old modules though builders generally left the fog at the default (very close) setting. This is likely less to do with aesthetics then the likelihood that removing fog would have killed the framerate. Unless every module is individually updated to take advantage of modern PCs the only other option would be to add an optional setting to override it.
  • SkipBittmanSkipBittman Member Posts: 146
    This would be nice to have access to, with the camera limits tweakable I've enjoyed having a super ultrawide panoramic shot - less foggy muck would be appreciated!
  • PhantomizerPhantomizer Member Posts: 76
    Grymlorde said:

Note that objects (creatures & placeables) will still not render past 45 meters or so, regardless of the fog settings.

Is this something that can be worked around? I think this would make a good candidate for a suggestion, render distance shouldn't be so limited.
  • KaosWarMonkKaosWarMonk Member Posts: 40
    Have posted this before but... Pls Beamdog, unlock the camera and make fog range an in game config item.

;)
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    As someone who is in the process of building a module and having deliberately set the fog to thick, I would be very annoyed if people were able to do this and then went around telling everybody about the surprise that the fog is supposed to hide until the last moment. So no, not game side and if you cant see your PC because of fog you are zoomed too far out. Builders side is where it belongs.

TR

As someone who is in the process of building a module and having deliberately set the fog to thick, I would be very annoyed if people were able to do this and then went around telling everybody about the surprise that the fog is supposed to hide until the last moment. So no, not game side and if you cant see your PC because of fog you are zoomed too far out. Builders side is where it belongs.

TR

IIRC, there are placeable "fog items" that simulate fog, that would work better, In the event that a builder wants to purposely obscure view, not being forced across the board by the engine. :)

Grymlorde said:

Is this something that can be worked around? I think this would make a good candidate for a suggestion, render distance shouldn't be so limited.
    The render distance could be extended, if BD implemented it (creatures/placeables, scenery already renders further).

• TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    edited March 2018
    @Phantomizer IIRC, there are placeable "fog items" that simulate fog

Not in vanilla EE there isn't. There's mist which at best is knee height and evil smoke which is very localised.

TR

@Phantomizer IIRC, there are placeable "fog items" that simulate fog

Not in vanilla EE there isn't. There's mist which at best is knee height and evil smoke which is very localised.

TR
    I'll have to remember to take a look, I faintly recall messing with fog placeables In the toolset before....before, as In 10+ years ago, mind you ^^;