Skip to content

Player how-to: Getting mods to work on BGEE

CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
edited January 2013 in General Modding
When it launches next week No older mods will currently work on BGEE because the current version of WeiDU (the tool used by mods to install) won't be able to understand the BGEE setup. There are, fortunately, workarounds that will allow WeiDU to work on the BGEE setup while we await a new version of WeiDU.

Please note that mods may have issues with the content of BGEE itself; these steps just get you to the point where you can at least try to install them. There will be a transition period where a lot of modders have to make minor adjustments to account for BGEE content--I strongly suggest you take advantage of the contact information in the readmes to let authors know about any issues you find so that they can address them.

Note: When I refer to the 'game folder' or 'game directory', it means the folder that contains chitin.key.

Step One

Go to your game directory and make backups of chitin.key and the Tutorial.bif file in the Data directory. Double check that an 'override' folder exists and create one if it doesn't.

Step Two

WeiDU has a problem reading one of the files that contains game resources, so we have to manually extract them as a workaround. Download the latest jar of Near Infinity (NI), which should work on OS X and Windows. (If it doesn't open when you double-click it, you may need to download the Java Runtime Environment for your OS as well.) The first time you open it will ask for your key file; navigate to your BGEE directory and select chitin.key. (If it doesn't prompt, you can select your BGEE game by selecting Game > Open game in the menu.)

Once BGEE is loaded in Near Infinity, go to Edit > BIFF; select Data/Tutorial.bif under 'edit existing'. Select all the files on the left, hit the right-facing arrow in the middle, and press the save button. It should give you a small window showing six steps completed and an OK button. Hit OK and then close NI.
Tutorial.bif should no longer be a problem, so step two can be skipped.

Step Three

WeiDU expects the tlk file (which holds all the text in the game) to be in the main game directory, but BGEE puts it in subdirectories to allow for multiple languages. We can create a hard link, tricking WeiDU into thinking it's in the main game directory while leaving it where it is. First, figure out which language subdirectory inside the lang folder is yours. English is the en_US directory inside lang; other languages have their own directories inside the lang folder.

In Windows...

...open a command window and navigate to your game directory. (In Windows 7, you can shift-right-click on the game folder in Explorer and choose 'Open command window here...'. In older Windows, you'll need to Windows+R for the run dialogue, run cmd, and then use 'CD nameofdirectory' to get to the game directory.) Once you're at the command prompt in your main directory, type
mklink /H dialog.tlk .\lang\en_US\dialog.tlk
Change the en_US part to the name of your language directory. Some languages actually have two tlk files, so you'll need to run the same command again, but with dialogF.tlk in both places instead of dialog.tlk. If you ever want to undo this step, you can delete dialog.tlk (and dialogF.tlk) from the game directory as if they're normal files.

ALIEN has an alternative method for Windows XP users a few posts down.

In OS X...

...open Terminal and navigate to your game directory. At the terminal prompt type
ln -s ./lang/en_US/dialog.tlk dialog.tlk
Change the en_US part to the name of your language directory. Some languages actually have two tlk files, so you'll need to run the same command again, but with dialogF.tlk in both places instead of dialog.tlk.

Go Forth and Install Mods!

You're now ready to try mods on BGEE! Again, this will just get you to the point where WeiDU will work. Individual mods may still have issues and I urge to contact the authors if you encounter any so they can get fixes in.
Post edited by CamDawg on
lordkimShinporkchopsTanthalasmch202EudaemoniumCuvDeeDukeGrKeithSQuartzdiggerbkilroy_was_hereMornmagorAndreaColomboAkerhonKirinaldoLordsDarkKnight185GloktamlneveseBeetleRerelKerozevokGruloelvee68macholyRaistlin82SinistralKamigoroshiDinsdalePiranhasunset00MuzzleIlphalarKreatur3Grieghook71smallerAbelSigfenmilBurfiakKerthalmister_ennuiSkyPigletXavioriaSCARY_WIZARDJTMStefanOenqLavaDelVortelWarmongerdstoltzfusFelipeH92RetsuyamaShareazuPlastic1XanthulMhorghinachChad

Comments

• diggerbdiggerb Member Posts: 132
    edited November 2012
    symlinks tutorial for OSX: http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=2001110610290643

So... in Terminal, it's:

ln -s ./lang/en_US/dialog.tlk dialog.tlk

(I think)
    CuvKirinaldo
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    Thanks @diggerb, I've updated the OP.
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited November 2012
    @CamDawg

This is going to be a popular thread. Would it be possible to include, in your original post, a list of bugfix mods which are no longer needed for BG:EE? That way people who are unaware will not be trying to mod stuff that is not necessary to be modded!
    lordkimRaistlin82
  • DogmatixDogmatix Member Posts: 25
    edited November 2012
    I think it would be great if there was a centralized "official" mod site which allowed for easy rating and installing (+uninstalling) of all BGEE compatible mods (the site could possibly also be there for assisting in possible problems which might arise).

If such a site doesn't exist during the launch, then perhaps later on as post ship feature?
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    @Dogmatix

I think its possible that someone might start up a list of compatible mods, but in the meantime the best places to look up mod information is at the current modding communities.
    DogmatixRaistlin82
  • lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063
    Nemissa said:

Would be really amazing if actually a Mod Manager would be released,like the Nexus one for Skyrim for example.
    One click to install the preferite mod,one click to remove it,easy to use and downloading/browsing feature built in :)

Could be cool. Think its difficult though.
  • DogmatixDogmatix Member Posts: 25
    @Tantalas: I guess you are right.

@Nemissa: Mod Manager might be better than my centralized mod site idea..
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I believe (though I could be wrong) that this is something they would like to do eventually. I agree that it would be difficult to execute, but wonderful to have.
    lordkimDogmatix
  • NemissaNemissa Member Posts: 73
    lordkim said:

Nemissa said:

Would be really amazing if actually a Mod Manager would be released,like the Nexus one for Skyrim for example.
    One click to install the preferite mod,one click to remove it,easy to use and downloading/browsing feature built in :)

Could be cool. Think its difficult though.
    I know,still nice to hope ;)

What will it take to make a Mod Manager is the next question....:P
    We'll have a mod manager around the same time you can have more than six party members.

I'm going to start a new thread to try and round up compatible mods--this thread should, after all, not be needed once we have a new WeiDU but a mod compatibility list will probably be needed forever.
    ok.. sorry to spam your thread :/
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    1) When should we expect a new version of Weidu?

2) When the new Weidu is available, will we need to "cancel" anything that we did above? Like restore the original chitin.key or dialog.tlk? Or is it irrelevant?
    Mornmagor said:

1) When should we expect a new version of Weidu?

At this point, no idea, which is why I went ahead and started looking for workarounds.
    Mornmagor said:

2) When the new Weidu is available, will we need to "cancel" anything that we did above? Like restore the original chitin.key or dialog.tlk? Or is it irrelevant?

It's going to depend on Overhaul's patching process. If they issue patches by sending out new biffs and keys, you're going to need to undo this, patch, and redo it. If they use a WeiDU-esque patcher then these changes can stay indefinitely, even after WeiDU gets updated. I believe it'll tend to the latter but you can't anticipate everything they might need to patch for.
    DogmatixMornmagor
  • AkuroAkuro Member Posts: 93

This is the list of mods that are not needed anymore, according to @AndreaColombo

- ToBEx
    - [...]

If this is all correct, then you don't need these mods.

ToBEx had some *very* interesting features which you could activate in it's *.ini file - to name a few:

a) Even if the mainchar dies, the game is not over...
    b) If your pickpocketing was successfull and you were invisible before, you don't lose your invisibility
    c) THE SPELL CONCENTRATION CHECK!

Sorry for those capital letters, but I need to know if this feature was built in!
    I cannot play without it anymore and I would love to enjoy this feature in the BG 1 EE again!

• AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,524
    @Akuro - It wasn't. ToBEx features are being evaluated by the devs for implementation, but no official word has been given about them yet.
  • KerozevokKerozevok Member Posts: 695
    "With BGEEE, modding will become more user friendly" (Beamdog team)

Now, the players needs to type command lines for install a mod... ^^
  • CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
    That is for older mods pre-BGEE. There are already some new mods in the works for BGEE where you wont have to do anything but double-click. Patience... the game isnt even released yet.
    ElectricMonk
  • LordsDarkKnight185LordsDarkKnight185 Member Posts: 615
    Kerozevok said:

"With BGEEE, modding will become more user friendly" (Beamdog team)

Now, the players needs to type command lines for install a mod... ^^

Did they actually say "User friendly?" I know they said more options would be soft-coded for modders to build from, but I don't recall them saying modding would be "user friendly"
    IllustairRetsuyama
    edited November 2012
    @Cuv Yes but if I understand, once again, the community do the job...

Do you know if "WinBiff" (old tool from the teambg) is compatible BGEE ?
  • CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
    @Kerozevok It currently is. I cannot speak for the final release. Once the game is released many things will quickly become known. Two more days and you will know for sure:D

As for mods, the devs are doing many things to make modding easier. They have been VERY helpful and cooperative.
    lordkim[Deleted User]AndreaColombo
    edited November 2012
    @Cuv You say that as beta-tester, but the communication of Beamdog on the "modding forum" was.... very quiet. No one topic "what's new".

Good thing for Winbiff.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    edited November 2012
    @Kerozevok

That's just because most of the modders are in the beta, so the problems with mods gets discussed there.
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited November 2012
    Akuro said:

This is the list of mods that are not needed anymore, according to @AndreaColombo

- ToBEx
    - [...]

If this is all correct, then you don't need these mods.

ToBEx had some *very* interesting features which you could activate in it's *.ini file - to name a few:

a) Even if the mainchar dies, the game is not over...
    b) If your pickpocketing was successfull and you were invisible before, you don't lose your invisibility
    c) THE SPELL CONCENTRATION CHECK!

Sorry for those capital letters, but I need to know if this feature was built in!
    I cannot play without it anymore and I would love to enjoy this feature in the BG 1 EE again!

The three examples you gave should be default features if you ask me.

• pheanoxpheanox Member Posts: 1
    I know the mod is considered taboo by some, but the BiG World Project has a pretty well developed mod manager already implemented. I don't see why it can't be updated for BGEE.
    Kate_wisexxxsmb1987xxxJared4242Retsuyama
  • ALIENALIEN Member Posts: 1,269
    edited November 2012
    Information for Windows XP Users:

Step Three
    3.1 Download and install NTFSLink Tool: http://elsdoerfer.name/ntfslink | ntfslink.exe
    3.2 Make "Hardlinks" for dialog.tlk (and dialogF.tlk if it exist for you language)
    Viola !
    CrevsDaak
  • YosharianYosharian Member Posts: 67
    ALIEN said:

Viola !

Cello!

....sorry.
    BelgarathMTHSomulo_CrevsDaakmashedtaters