Skip to content

Big reputation loss for taking Dorn?

Do you think that if you take Dorn into your party, you'll suffer a big reputation loss (perhaps more than the -2 for taking Viconia into your party) and/or some other reaction penalty? Something like this seems implied from some of what I've read in some of the interviews with the developers. With an evil PC and party, I don't mind having fairly low reputation, though, as long as it's above the threshold where the Flaming Fist get on your case all the time...

Comments

• BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    I don't know, but it would make sense. The reputation hit from Viconia is because she's a drow, not because she's evil, so the same thing ought to apply to walking around with a big half-orc. Of course, the player character can be a half-orc, too, so maybe not.
  • KietzelKietzel Member Posts: 40
    from what i remember half-orcs are generally tolerated in Baldur's Gate & Amn.. It was in Icewind Dale that orcs were the boogey men.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    As I was posting in another thread, adhering to the concept of "social cost in exchange for martial prowess" for including Dorn, I was hoping for more along the lines of "other reaction penalty". As reputation gains are fairly abundant in BG and can be boosted in a pinch at temples, a reputation hit here and there isn't a big deal for an evil-oriented party. It may even help them from getting it up too high.

Stuff along the lines I'd like to see for Dorn:

- Picking fights in various encounters (e.g. the Flaming Fist road patrol, the bitter father at Feldepost's Inn (a la Montaron in the BG1 NPC Project), etc) , forcing you to fight. Generally making peaceful solutions difficult to achieve if the other options include a display of strength.

- Insulting Kelddath Ormlyr so he bars you from his temple, making you lose out on the reward for Bassilus.

- Attacking Brage so you can't bring him back to the temple of Helm.

- Recognizing Greywolf and scaring him off so the party can't kill him for Varscona.

- Insulting Angelo so someone gets killed.

Etc, etc. There are likely all sorts of situations where he could be used to limit the player's options, making sure that taking him along will make for a different and sometimes costly adventure, not only in terms of reputation.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    Shin said:

As I was posting in another thread, adhering to the concept of "social cost in exchange for martial prowess" for including Dorn, I was hoping for more along the lines of "other reaction penalty". As reputation gains are fairly abundant in BG and can be boosted in a pinch at temples, a reputation hit here and there isn't a big deal for an evil-oriented party. It may even help them from getting it up too high.

- Picking fights in various encounters (e.g. the Flaming Fist road patrol, the bitter father at Feldepost's Inn (a la Montaron in the BG1 NPC Project), etc) , forcing you to fight. Generally making peaceful solutions difficult to achieve if the other options include a display of strength.

- Insulting Kelddath Ormlyr so he bars you from his temple, making you lose out on the reward for Bassilus.

- Recognizing Greywolf and scaring him off so the party can't kill him for Varscona.

Etc, etc. There are likely all sorts of situations where he could be used to limit the player's options, making sure that taking him along will make for a different and sometimes costly adventure, not only in terms of reputation.

I like this idea
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    Shin said:

That would be interesting, maybe I should try to get Varscona before picking up Dorn!
  • KirkorKirkor Member Posts: 700
    Shin said:

Nice. Then I would pick him up just because those interactions. They're awesome :)
    I hope, all of the 3 new characters will have some nice interaction with surrounding world.
  • kansasbarbariankansasbarbarian Member Posts: 206
    Definitely taking Dorn. With Kagain and the gauntlets of ogre power, and Shar Teel I should have all the melee power I need.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729

Definitely taking Dorn. With Kagain and the gauntlets of ogre power, and Shar Teel I should have all the melee power I need.

I think Kagain needs Dex gauntlets mores than strength
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    edited November 2012

Bah give him a shield and he will just have to suck it up on the extra damage side of things :)
  • MechaliburMechalibur Member Posts: 265

Nah, he can just take the hits.

...Then regenerate them.