Skip to content

Missing Weapon Proficiency: Dwarf

We have a "Weapon Proficiency: Elf" in game that gives Elves access to bows and the like, but Dwarves do not get one for their race weapon "Dwarven Waraxe". NWN 2 introduced this, but it's still missing from NWN 1.

So, can we get this added please? Show some love to the Dwarves?

Comments

• DerpCityDerpCity Member, Moderator Posts: 303
    edited March 2018
    From what I've read, it seems PnP Dwarves don't get proficiency in the Dwarven Waraxe (and the PnP exclusive Dwarven Urgrosh). Rather, they simply treat them as martial weapons rather than exotic weapons. I definitely feel it should be included in either form, however, as its a bit silly Dwarves have to waste a feat to use a weapon they should be accustomed to.
  • JimbobslimbobJimbobslimbob Member Posts: 206
    Indeed. One way or the other (a race feat would work perfectly fine, like it does with Elves) it should be implemented.
  • VarthmathrVarthmathr Member Posts: 1
    Bump!
  • FreshLemonBunFreshLemonBun Member Posts: 909
    It should be noted that dwarf war axe is a martial weapon and only exotic when wielded in one hand.
  • LaputianBirdLaputianBird Member Posts: 107
    Adding a new weapon proficiency as racial feat would make old characters of that race not pass the Enforce Legal Character check anymore. Not a big deal in Single Player, as it's disabled by default, but it'd be worse in MP and on PWs.
    There is a quick and dirty solution through an override, if anybody is really interested in saving one feat when playing a dwarf in single player. For Multiplayer, the way to do it is having the host implement the change.
  • FreshLemonBunFreshLemonBun Member Posts: 909
    I think if you really wanted a good system you should remove weapon proficiencies entirely, make everyone proficient, and then add the new feats for weapon proficiency that don't do anything by default. In the on equip and onunequip events you would have to check if they have the new feats and then apply/remove the -4 penalty with weapons they're not proficient in. That way it is also easier to check for dwarven war axe as a single handed weapon or a two handed weapon.
  • LaputianBirdLaputianBird Member Posts: 107

I think if you really wanted a good system you should remove weapon proficiencies entirely, make everyone proficient, and then add the new feats for weapon proficiency that don't do anything by default. In the on equip and onunequip events you would have to check if they have the new feats and then apply/remove the -4 penalty with weapons they're not proficient in. That way it is also easier to check for dwarven war axe as a single handed weapon or a two handed weapon.

I actually did exactly that - everybody can use any weapon, but if they lack the proficiency, they do so with a significant penalty.
    NWN is a wonderful engine under that regard, a lot can be achieved with just 2da editing and scripting, let alone NWNX (in a client-server environment).

The same freedom isn't possible with making global changes though, as so many things can break and the vanilla game should not be affected by such unwanted side-effects
  • helmo1977helmo1977 Member Posts: 364
    edited April 2018
    DerpCity said:

From what I've read, it seems PnP Dwarves don't get proficiency in the Dwarven Waraxe (and the PnP exclusive Dwarven Urgrosh). Rather, they simply treat them as martial weapons rather than exotic weapons. I definitely feel it should be included in either form, however, as its a bit silly Dwarves have to waste a feat to use a weapon they should be accustomed to.

You are right. In PnP dwarves use dwarven waraxes as martial weapons instead of exotic. That way dwarf fighter types save having to take the exotic weapon proficiency feat if they want to use the axe with a single hand, as any non dwarf would have to wield a dwarven waraxe with a BOTH hands unless he took the exotic weapon prof.

The only problem I see is that in the OCs there are no dwarven waraxes, except in the SoU one, iirc. They should have to tweak the OCs a bit a that is something they dont seem to want at all.
  • dTddTd Member Posts: 182
    They don't have to touch the OCs at all really, leave them as is and make it proper for everything new.
  • helmo1977helmo1977 Member Posts: 364
    dTd said:

They don't have to touch the OCs at all really, leave them as is and make it proper for everything new.

They dont really have to tweak them to implement the changes, but any new player that takes a dwarf character will find very frustrating that he cant get a single dwarven waraxe in the OCs. Have in mind most players play SP and that new mods will take years to make, something that people seem to forget, as if the new additions to improve mods would give fruits from one day to another. Remember that good modules take at least one or two years to make.

What do you do in the meantime, if MP is not that popular?

• dTddTd Member Posts: 182
    helmo1977 said:

What do you do in the meantime, if MP is not that popular?

Play on PWs naturally :) Isn't that what's bringing the popularity back?
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    @helmo1977 that new mods will take years to make

Not in NwN. However if you add in the time taken to make the custom content then you are taking probably up to low thousands of person hours.

TR