Skip to content

Suggestion: Ability to set a specific tile (instead of randomly cycling through)

prwoprwo Member Posts: 69
edited March 2018 in Builders - Toolset
As for now (and still in the EE Toolset), when painting an area, you can only select a terrain (e.g. Livingroom of City Interior) to be painted, but the actual tiles painted (e.g. the one with the carpet, the one with the bookshelves, the one with just the floor) are assigned randomly. That is sufficient in most cases but becomes unhandy if you want a specific tile.

By painting over it again and again or by using the eraser you can somehow cycle through the available tiles until you incidentally get the one that you want, but this is very awkward. For once, because the terrain painter always changes more than one at a time and additionaly, because the eraser will destroy doors and corridors.
Subsequent remark: You can already deterministically cycle through the available tiles by holding SHIFT and RIGHT-CLICK on the tile, which helps a lot.

I suggest to add a drop down to the Tile Properties dialog, which allows to specifically set one of the avaliable tiles directly.
Post edited by prwo on

Comments

• Lex23Lex23 Member Posts: 34
    Yes, this!

I like to choose a specific tile most of the time, so the random selection adds dozens of completely unnecessary clicks per room.
  • ProlericProleric Member Posts: 1,282
    Copy & paste is your friend, too, once you have one tile you actually want...

...but I agree that tile picking could be slicker.

• prwoprwo Member Posts: 69

Hold down shift and right click on the tile to cycle through all available options for that type.

Yeees. That helps a lot. I was unaware of that feature!
    ... and I realize that it was already there in the old Toolset - maybe for the whole time.
    That of course provides a deterministic way to select a tile.

Say, is there a list or documentation of all the commands and little treasures like that?
  • SherincallSherincall Member Posts: 387
    prwo said:

Say, is there a list or documentation of all the commands and little treasures like that?

My favorite treasure is chopping groups into tiles. Since in the end, an area is just a grid of tiles, you could manually edit the .are file and get something that is otherwise unpaintable in the toolset. But you can do it from the toolset as well.

1) Paint down a group, such as a ship.
    2) Click on a single tile, don't release the mouse button
    3a) Press CTRL+C to copy only that tile. CTRL+V to paste, right click to rotate
    3b) Press DEL to remove only that tile from a group.

Here's an example of what you can do, using just the standard city exterior tileset:

Hey, good trick.
  • FinalStandFinalStand Member Posts: 87
    Zwerkules said:

The shift+right clicking really should have been documented somewhere. It is one of the most important functions when building with tilesets, yet only few people seem to know about it.

yea, they have this weird policy of trying to make things "easy" and "user friendly", but, ironically, just makes it much harder to use.
  • ThomaswThomasw Member Posts: 18
    Piggybacking onto this, is there a way to make an "empty" room without any furnishing or such like inside. For example, I would like to place all the stools and tables in a tavern myself, but drawing out the inn tiles will place them in there for me and unlike my own "placeables" I cannot select and delete a pre-inserted table or stool. I have sort of got around this by using the "Corridor" tile to create large rooms, but was wondering if an alternative is possible.
    Thomasw said:

is there a way to make an "empty" room without any furnishing or such like inside.

I don't think there is. You can SHIFT + RIGHT-CLICK your way through the available tiles until you find one with minimal or no furniture, but most tiles have static furniture.
    You could also use special tiles (like the 1x1 Inn Room), which have little furniture.
  • ThomaswThomasw Member Posts: 18
    prwo said:

I don't think there is.

Ah well, I am still trying to get to grips with it all anyway. Probably for the best that I can't spend hours tweaking each ale mug in a 1 room in eh!
  • ProlericProleric Member Posts: 1,282
    It would be great to have "empty" versions of all the terrain tiles, even if we still had to cycle through to find them.

True, many tilesets already have a simple floor / cobble / grass / water / sand ... tile, but it's rarely possible to build an entirely empty area.

Two reasons for this request - allowing the builder to choose the furnishing (maybe for a more authentic medieval look) and avoiding duplication (like every bend in every road in the world has the same tree).
    Proleric said:

It would be great to have "empty" versions of all the terrain tiles, even if we still had to cycle through to find them.

That would indeed be a good option to have.

But I also understand the reason why they chose to have pre-furnitured tiles: It's simply much faster to get an area look like something if the furniture is already there. Just a few clicks and you are done.

Also another then: Turn off grass on a tile- or at least area basis.
    Or: stop the grass from growing through placeables.

Right now, if a tile has grass, it's most likely everywhere. If you place a bedroll, fireplace or a carpet on the cround the grass will grow through it... which looks terrible.