Skip to content

PVRZ Item Icons

AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
I'm doing a bit of experimenting with item icons in BG:EE, and I've noticed that the PVRZ-based (v2) BAM offers interpolated alpha support, and does away with the 256 color palette. So, it does seem lucrative to use BAM v2 for a project that involves improving item icons in BG:EE.

I have several questions regarding this format, however:

1. Is this a viable option? E.g. should item icons use the PVRZ format?
2. I've noticed that my PVRZ files follow the MOS*.PVRZ naming convention, where * is a four to five digit number. Is there no way to use custom names for PVRZ files?
3. If there is no way to use custom PVRZ file names, what PVRZ range can I use for my project? Is there a registry for modders?

Comments

• argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,434
    1) It is a viable option. I'm using it for a number of icons in my own mods. However, since installation is more complicated (because of associated pvrz files) I would only use it for icons that will benefit from the new format. It also works great for description images of items.
    2+3) Yes, filename scheme MOSxxxx.PVRZ is hardcoded for both BAM V2 and MOS V2 resources. WeiDU offers a couple of PVRZ-related functions to make installation of PVRZ files easier... err, less complicated (example code).
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    @argent77 Ah, I see! Thank you! That makes sense, WeiDU to the rescue. :)