Skip to content

Some Race/Class Mechanics that need work.

As you will soon be able to tell. I like to play stealth/radar type characters. There are 3 things in the base game that affect a huge percentage of these types of characters.

1. Rogues only can find traps above DC 20: I know that this is base 3.0 DND but it is really a bad rule. Either, get rid of it all together, or provide access to advanced trapfinding via feat. There is no reason for a ranger who specializes in search and set traps to have to dip a level of rogue just to be viable as a scout late game.

2. Elven Keen Senses is to strong: If you want to play a scout type character (search, spot, listen), especially one who is also a stealthy, you have to be an elf in muli-player. Activating the "active search mode" cuts speed in half, and then activating "stealth mode" cuts it in half again. A character moving at 1/4 speed has no chance of performing as a scout. My fix, give the same ability to the underwhelming halfelf at least, and probably make it accessible via a feet that requires ranks in search/spot/listen.

3. Bards can't cast in armor: Again, I know that this is cannon 3.0 DND but 3.0 is the only edition of the game that made this mistake. 3.0 bards are weak. Allowing them to cast in armor separates them from the pure arcane casters and gives them a niche. My solution would be to allow them a -10% to arcane spell failure directly and access to even more (perhaps another 10%) via feats. This makes masterwork/mithrial items more valuable and would let someone who built towards it actually play a front line bard.

If all three of these changes were implemented, the number of viable "scout/dex/rogueish" build in the game would skyrocket. None of these rules are really good in the first place.

Please correct me if there is something that I am overlooking.

Comments

• FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    As for 1., without this rule there isn't really any reason to play a rogue. The cause, of course is straightforward: Rogues are too weak in 3.0 (largely due to BAB shenanigans).
  • PhantomizerPhantomizer Member Posts: 76
    I've actually never gotten the whole purpose of having to slow down to search for traps/hidden doors. My two cents as to how they should work Is as follows: Rogues/Rangers should actively be searching for hidden things by default and than they should have a Detect action that allows them to boost their spot/search skills (like the DDO Search skill). Slowing down my character feels like It breaks the game for me.

As for the Bard, I actually disagree since there are feats that reduce Arcane Spell Failure from armor.
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    B said:

I've actually never gotten the whole purpose of having to slow down to search for traps/hidden doors.

Walk through a woods filled with poisonous snakes. Would you be more likely to detect them while running through the undergrowth or while moving slowly and concentrating on the smells, sounds, and sights that might indicate a snake? The standing/slow movement means your brain is spending fewer resources on proprioception and equilibrioception, and can devote more resources/capacity to sight, smell, etc.

And I say this not only as some who has hunted for over thirty years, but is also a burglar.

tbone1 said:

B said:

I've actually never gotten the whole purpose of having to slow down to search for traps/hidden doors.

Walk through a woods filled with poisonous snakes. Would you be more likely to detect them while running through the undergrowth or while moving slowly and concentrating on the smells, sounds, and sights that might indicate a snake? The standing/slow movement means your brain is spending fewer resources on proprioception and equilibrioception, and can devote more resources/capacity to sight, smell, etc.

And I say this not only as some who has hunted for over thirty years, but is also a burglar.

I guess It would really depend, I was thinking more for the purposes of detecting a hidden trap or enemy. I get that a novice rogue would have a harder time detecting a hidden trap or enemy, unless he was concentrating on that, but I would think that an experienced Rogue would be much more apt at detecting things without having to concentrate as hard on It. But I get your point, especially If we go with sentient animals that are alive, breath, move, etc as well as the complexities of the enviroment.
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    Sooooo one of the reasons I'm super "meh" about Neverwinter Nights 1 and think 2 is superior is I think 3.5 is a vast improvement over 3.0. Like for example bards can't cast in armor AND they only get simple weapons instead of simple weapons + longsword, rapier, sap, short sword, shortbow, and whip. Granted there is a 3.5 mod for NWN1 but I haven't used it yet. If it's compatible with the campaigns and custom modules then I'm always going to use it.
  • cherryzerocherryzero Member Posts: 129
    One thing I kind of prefer about walking slowly in search mode is it allows me time to stop if I detect a trap. Sometimes with eleven rogues I'll detect them just as I'm stepping on them because of the speed I'm moving. The easy fix is just having them stealth which I normally do when scouting anyway.
  • IceborgIceborg Member Posts: 19
    cleric domains need reworking aswell war domain buff lasts such a short time its really worthless can only cast it 1 time per day.
  • FletcherBrownFletcherBrown Member Posts: 8

As for the Bard, I actually disagree since there are feats that reduce Arcane Spell Failure from armor.

Realy? In NWN 1 there are feats that reduce Arcane Spell Failure? Are you playing with a mod? I don't remember them at all?
  • raz651raz651 Member Posts: 175
    there isn't a feat, but there is a property that you can add to items that reduce or increase the arcane spell failure. from -50 to +50.
  • TerrorbleTerrorble Member Posts: 169
    I borrowed a code snippet that I put in the OnEquip/OnUnequip events for my module that checks if a player is a bard, then checks the armor appearance, and if it is a light armor (maybe medium too) then it applies the proper amount of arcane spell casting reduction necessary to the armor to allow them to cast without possibility of failure.

Granted it isn't part of the base game (and I think it has some problems with custom armor appearance types), it is doable.

It's definitely a feature I like.

Playing modules that don't address this I've taken still spell with my bards who wore armor. There are a couple spells they have that have no somatic component anyway, but it was the way I had to do it.

The random enchantment system in my mod occasionally puts some arcane spell failure reduction on armors, usually enough to make light armor good, but never enough to make heavy armor free of some spell failure. However, some gloves and shields will have enough to cover some of the difference.
    raz651 said:

there isn't a feat, but there is a property that you can add to items that reduce or increase the arcane spell failure. from -50 to +50.

That's what I meant... Now I'm curious as to what game I may have been confusing with NWN, that has a similar feat. :D
  • FletcherBrownFletcherBrown Member Posts: 8
    NWN 2 has light armor casting for bards with medium as a feat.
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    Icewind Dale 2 also has a series of feats that reduce arcane spell failure by a certain percentage