Skip to content

NWN:EE Steam sound issues

Hello, guys! Registered to get some input on an issue I can't find anything about (might be bad search skills).

I downloaded and installed NWN:EE from Steam last night and I'm having issues with sound, not sure if bugs or specific problem. They are all related but will make them in a list for better tracking, please read all points.

1) Ambient sound cuts off when the camera is a certain distance from the source. For example, standing near a torch in the Academy: it's either full volume fire raging or completely silent, depending on camera angle. It doesn't fade or increase based on camera position, it's either on or off. It's not game breaking but it bugs the hell out of me to move the character through the level and have random sound effects raging in my ear for 1 second then cutting off.

2) Sound position is wrong or totally faded. Sometimes I fight a creature and only hear it in one headphone even though I'm facing it. Same goes for dialogue. Camera must be centered perfectly on the NPC in order to hear the proper sound, otherwise it sounds like the NPC is on the far side of a cave and only in one speaker. When the camera zooms in for a dialogue, I can barely hear the first few words since the camera is at an angle, so I have to move it manually to a point I can hear properly.

3) Sound options in the menu are lacking. I don't have the options to change from speakers to surround, enable hardware sound and so on.
https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/912416819142693155/BDE1F5240A5818C2C39E3352D656C7895B5E8AAA/
Here is a screenshot of the menu. Also note that "Advanced settings" only has 2D3D Bias, which doesn't help with my sound problems.
I tried tweaking it from nwn.ini but I don't hear any difference.

My setup:
Windows 7
Intel i5 4440
MSI GeForce GTX 970
16 Gb RAM
No dedicated sound card

Thanks for reading all of this, I'll wait for your replies. Have a great day!