Skip to content

I've got a few basic mostly ranger based questions.

Could you guys help me by answering a few of my questions?

1. What is the base damage of long bows, short bows and composite bows? When I look on gamebanshe and the like I can only find magic effects like +2 damage or THAC0. I'm looking for a 1d-X

2. Is there any functional difference between being restricted to only using studded leather armor and being restrected from wearing any metal armors?

3. How much stealth points do rangers gain per level?

4. Will rangers benefit from higher wisdom in BGEE?

Comments

• BrudeBrude Member Posts: 560
    1. The damage roll is based on the ammo you're using, not the weapon itself.

2. Not sure I understand this question. You can't stealth while wearing metal armor. Aside from AC, each armor type has bonus and penalties toward certain weapon attacks (piercing, slashing, crushing, etc).

3. IIRC, it's 5% per level. Although your character's race may provide bonuses. Stalkers get a flat 20% bonus to this skill.

4. No.
  • gustonguston Member Posts: 70
    Brude said:

2. Not sure I understand this question. You can't stealth while wearing metal armor. Aside from AC, each armor type has bonus and penalties toward certain weapon attacks (piercing, slashing, crushing, etc).

I meant are there actually any non metal armors that are heavier than studded leather? Chainmail and half/full plate armors are all metal. As far as I can see there is no difference between an archer's and a thief's armor restrictions but the wording is different for some reason. I was wondering if there is any significance to that.

Thanks for the help.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    guston said:

Brude said:

I meant are there actually any non metal armors that are heavier than studded leather? Chainmail and half/full plate armors are all metal. As far as I can see there is no difference between an archer's and a thief's armor restrictions but the wording is different for some reason. I was wondering if there is any significance to that.

Thanks for the help.
    Hmm, that's a good question. The only possible difference I can think of is with regards to certain armour made of exotic materials (eg ankheg in BG1, dragon scales in BG2). A character limited to studded leather could not wear these (except for a particular dragon armour in BG2), but maybe a character limited to non-metal armour could? I really don't know though.
  • TetraploidTetraploid Member Posts: 252
    Regarding armor above studded leather that isn't metal, I think the only exception in BG1 would be the ankheg plate.
    edited November 2012
    I've got another question. Will elves still get a +1 to hit with all swords or will it be changed to just longswords? I'm thinking of giving my future archer Drizzits scimitars if they benefit from the elfs racial bonus.

Opps! Should have checked the new manual before posting! Sorry about that. Guess its longsword for my elf.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    guston said:

I've got another question. Will elves still get a +1 to hit with all swords or will it be changed to just longswords? I'm thinking of giving my future archer Drizzits scimitars if they benefit from the elfs racial bonus.

Opps! Should have checked the new manual before posting! Sorry about that. Guess its longsword for my elf.

Actually, in BGEE (for now anyway) Elves will get +1 THAC0 with *all* swords, including two-handed swords, katanas, scimitars, or at least that's what those who know better than I have said. Beware, the BGEE manuals contain quite a few inconsistencies currently.

Elves also, of course, still get the +1THAC0 for all bows (apart from crossbows).

If playing by PnP rules they should only get the +1 THAC0 for long and short swords, though

Brude said:

3. IIRC, it's 5% per level. Although your character's race may provide bonuses. Stalkers get a flat 20% bonus to this skill.

Stalkers still get a +5% (or thereabouts) per level bonus to stealth, as well as an initial flat +20% bonus, see this thread :
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/7039/how-does-the-stalker-stealth-progression-work

guston said:

Actually, in BGEE (for now anyway) Elves will get +1 THAC0 with *all* swords, including two-handed swords, katanas, scimitars, or at least that's what those who know better than I have said. Beware, the BGEE manuals contain quite a few inconsistencies currently.

Elves also, of course, still get the +1THAC0 for all bows (apart from crossbows).

If playing by PnP rules they should only get the +1 THAC0 for long and short swords, though

Yeah the manual also says that the Archer kit gets to put 2 points into melee weapons. Thats probably not gonna happen though I wouldn't complain if it did.
    guston said:

guston said:

Yeah the manual also says that the Archer kit gets to put 2 points into melee weapons. Thats probably not gonna happen though I wouldn't complain if it did.
    I think it's an error
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited November 2012
    All bows deal 1d6 base damage. Shorts bows have no bonus, Long bows get +1 to hit, and composite bows get +1 hit, +1 damage.

Depending on if they're using the BG1 version (bow enhancement applies to hit/damage) or the BG2 version (bow enhancement only applies to hit) any additional damage comes from unique bow effects listed in the description, class abilities (archer for example), or the ammo used.

There is not. Only items tagged as studded leather or less can be worn. Ankheg can't be worn since it's considered plate, even though it's not made of metal. Most dragon armors in the 2nd can't be either, except the shadow and ...white? was it?...dragon armors which are considered plain leather.

And no, wisdom is a wasted stat for rangers and paladins (but both have fairly high minimums, so you don't really get much say in the matter)
    So now that the game is out can anyone tell me if elves get +1 to hit with scimitars? My game crashes when i hit play so I cant check myself.