Skip to content

[Mac] significant performance issue

I’m playing with MacBook Pro 2015, 13in.
At first, I set the video option to best and opened all the effect, the frame rate is about 15. I really didn’t expect this from a game 15 years ago. So I lowered the resolution, and got FPS of 20. At least it is playable now. But then the real problem came. After playing for an hour or two, the frame rate dropped significantly to less than 10. It happens faster when you frequently load the game.
I believe there must have some bugs causing memory leak or likely. And if you can fix the FPS dropping issue, I also really hope I could get better FPS than 20 for this 15 years old game.

Comments

• jwwjww Member Posts: 34
    I can confirm the issue where after a number of reloads, the game suddenly (from one load to the next) switches to being unplayable. This has been happening since I first bought the game and I believe it affected every patch since then (I haven't noticed it on the current patch, but I just updated a few days ago). Since this particular issue only happens immediately after a re-load, I just quit out of the game and restart, and it goes away, so it's more of an annoyance than anything, but it should probably be fixed. It usually happens after a significant number of reloads, but I once had it happen on my second reload.

As for general performance issues on the Mac, several people have mentioned encountering that. I got a response to my post on the bug tracker that they are looking into it. For me, the problem started with the 8159 patch, but after the 8162 patch, most areas are running well enough (at least with my graphics settings turned way down) that I don't notice a problem, except for places like Neverwinter City Core (though I haven't been back there since updating to the most recent patch, so I don't know the current status).

• mwielochamwielocha Member Posts: 1
    I second that confirmation. Bought the game yesterday (29th of March) been playing for a couple of hours today and when it got crowded with NPCs the game slowed waaay down. Its practically unplayable. My setup: MacPro 5,1 with NVIDIA GTX980 Ti - this clearly and easily should handle a 2002 game even an enhanced one. Which means its a bug. Please provide information on when and if this issue will be addressed - would be awesome to know before the option of steam refund expires. Thanks.
  • PhilboBagginsPhilboBaggins Member Posts: 1
    I’m playing on an older iMac from 2009. It has a C2D at 3.06ghz 16 gigs of ram and a Ati 4670 256mb. With the fancy post processing effects on its not playable but if I turn them off I can play at max settings (well save for max resolution for some reason when I try that I get a black screen with a cursor).

My Mac is more powerful than the laptop I originally ran the game on back when it first came out. I know Mac’s aren’t known for their gaming prowess but still you’d think they would be able to handle an old game like this.

On a side note I saw the requirements for the original Witcher (which uses the same engine that NWN uses), and on Windows you need a Pentium 4 and Mac minimum requirements are a core i5?? Yup that’s right core i5. So is this because of poor coding in the port? Or what?
  • cottontycottonty Member Posts: 2
    Perhaps it's because my macbook uses intel integrated graphic card? to be specific, iris 6100. have seen
    others on the forum with integrated card having some issues as well.