Skip to content

Do you ever play a no-reloads game?

IntoTheDarknessIntoTheDarkness Member Posts: 118
I do not like reloading my games. I even pushed on when Aerie, my love interest, permanently died in my first ever play through of BG2:SOA. I wonder how many people play this hard-core.
  1. Do you ever play a no-reloads game?145 votes
    1. Yes
      19.31%
    2. No
      80.69%

Comments

• MERLANCEMERLANCE Member Posts: 421
    Nope. Never appealed to me to try one.
  • NadroirNadroir Member Posts: 50
    Not yet. I was never really tempted to make one until I started reading the forums.
  • allhailsteveallhailsteve Member Posts: 210
    No, I'm a chronic autosaver/reloader!
  • AlexDeLargeAlexDeLarge Member Posts: 273
    Yes, that's where the real challenge is.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    Not fully. Lost interest halfway through BG and never took it back up again.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    Not yet, but I plan to do @Quartz's Play Yourself in BG Challenge after BGEE ships.
  • DeathMachineMiyagiDeathMachineMiyagi Member Posts: 120
    I play with SCS and SCSII. If you have those mods installed, a 'no-reloads' game is usually very short.
  • AlexDeLargeAlexDeLarge Member Posts: 273

I play with SCS and SCSII. If you have those mods installed, a 'no-reloads' game is usually very short.

Not if you know every encounter almost by heart, and thus have the correct approach to everything the game throws at you. There's quite a handful of people on bioware forums who have finished the game on core rules no reloads (myself included), some of them even doing the challenge with solo char!
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    Not yet but I plan to try a semi no reloads game (reload if PC dies, no reload if anyone else dies or gets gibbed).
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Occasionally I'll try it. Not because I want to, but because I forget to save often.

Then I die, or someone in my party dies, and I look back and see how far my last save was, and say "screw it" and start over from the beginning. Seems to work well for me. ;)
  • siliconpsychosissiliconpsychosis Member Posts: 32
    Yeah I always play no reload, which is why I have been playing BG1 since its first release and never completed it and therefore I've yet to play BG2 :)
  • NadroirNadroir Member Posts: 50
    @siliconpsychosis

That's some extreme dedication.
  • KrypteiaKrypteia Member Posts: 50
    Yes, but rarely.

I am interested, for example, in trying the Project Eternity "Trial of Iron" mode, and I've done a couple of Nightmare difficulty playthroughs of Dragon Age 2 in such a way (along with "no pauses" and "no ridiculously overpowered DLC items" games).

Never actually tried it with Baldur's Gate itself, probably because by the time it occured to me, I knew the game too well and could successfully predict where enemies would appear, what tactics they would use, spells they would employ etc.
  • LadyEibhilinRhettLadyEibhilinRhett Member Posts: 1,078
    Nope. I mean, I did do a playthrough where I had to leave characters dead if they got chunked, but I still reloaded if I got really pissed, and there was none of that IF TPK THEN RESTART ENTIRE GAME stuff. It really didn't affect me much since I was very careful on that playthrough and no one actually got chunked. Never finished it though. Savegame got wiped. I think that was from the time Dad accidentally wiped the save data from all my games when he was trying to clean junk out of the hard drive. Like, back before I had my own computer.
    Of course, it does sound interesting, and I may try it, if I can ever get over my habit of composing my parties mainly of squishy low level mages.
  • CyhortCyhort Member Posts: 78
    Nope. I never understood how anyone could have fun doing that. I play games to have fun, not to stress myself out, and that seems super stressful.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2012
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    I have tried it, and found it a fun challenge. But overall I find that reloading allows me to play the game that I will enjoy the most. And it's a game, with enjoyment being its raison d'être. I can understand equally how one might derive enjoyment from the no-reload approach, but that's not what does it for me personally.
  • siliconpsychosissiliconpsychosis Member Posts: 32
    Yeah by playing no reloading means every second I'm terrified I might die and have to start all over again. I love the uncertainty and the constant feeling of impending doom. The last death by spider so devastated me, it inspired me to write a new track which hopefully will get released next year - its called 'Arachnoid God Destroyer' :)
  • CharlytanCharlytan Member Posts: 27
    I tried it a few times in the past, but I usually end up reloading eventually towards the end. Hm hm hm, the last time that I played a no reload game was in BG2, and I was forced to reload a lot sooner than usual. lol, Edwin was petrified then shattered. (At the time, it was justified reload! It was one those “I did too much just to get him in my group!”)

Mmm, I have a better question though….

How many of you guys leave the gear/loot on your dead comrades just for the sake of respecting the dead? o.O’ I’ve never done it before, but it seems pretty extreme to me. I would NEVER leave behind a Quiver of Plenty +1!
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    yes but very rarely.
  • RohndilRohndil Member Posts: 171
    Not really, though I got close a couple of times. I'll try for sure in BG:EE.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    I'm too co-dependant on my characters to let them die permanently ...
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    Yes, occasionally, but I usually do reload, though I really try not to let my NPCs (or CHARNAME) die (unless I want them to...)
  • Kang54Kang54 Member Posts: 58
    I suffer from the quicksave-every-5-steps-no-matter-what syndrome, so no.
  • Vonbek777Vonbek777 Member Posts: 135
    I've played many a short no reloads game. Apparently I role a lot of dumb or unlucky adventurers. ;)
  • cloakanddaggercloakanddagger Member Posts: 111
    no reloads; its a fallacy. Im assuming you don't count when your main character dies.
  • LMTR14LMTR14 Member Posts: 165

Yeah I always play no reload, which is why I have been playing BG1 since its first release and never completed it and therefore I've yet to play BG2 :)

awesome

• IntoTheDarknessIntoTheDarkness Member Posts: 118
    edited November 2012

no reloads; its a fallacy. Im assuming you don't count when your main character dies.

I didn't initially mean a no-death game as you pointed, but it was too late to change the poll since everyone saw it that way. I guess it works this way too.
  • drsahldrsahl Member Posts: 65
    Yes and No it can differ from each playthrough.. so well
  • cloakanddaggercloakanddagger Member Posts: 111
    i have often times wondered about not reloading. But then there are those times when you forget to find traps and a fireball kills half the party.