Skip to content

[Request] Enhanced Prologue

HeroicSpurHeroicSpur Member Posts: 907
The BG1 prologue features some pretty mundane quests, buy a quarrel of crossbow bolts, kill 5 rats, find a book in some hay, take a potion to someone etc.

While this is pleasant, it can get a bit tiresome. I would like to see a new, slightly more advanced quest introduced into the prologue (possibly one that can only be finished later in the game -like the BG2 windspear acorns).

This would have the double effect of firstly, adding a bit more life to the prologue, and secondly letting players know that they're playing an enhanced edition right from the start.

It's important to note that what's sought here is not any change to existing content, but rather the introduction of one or two new quests within the prologue. These should be used as an opportunity to really show off the depth and quality BG is capable of.
TingellordkimlansounetCespeBhryaenAndreaColomboBannyncarugaShapiroKeatsDarkMageAedan

Comments

• AlejandroAlejandro Member Posts: 201
    I completely agree with you.

"and secondly letting players know that they're playing an enhanced edition right from the start." That´s actually a great point, and I am almost sure Trent mentioned exactly that on one of his tweets a while back.

Bannyn
  • lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063
    edited June 2012
    Love the idea !!

Off topic : Im overwhelmed by the passion of this game, some people have., like you @HeroicSpur.
    Post edited by lordkim on
    HeroicSpur
  • HeroicSpurHeroicSpur Member Posts: 907
    Lol! Yes, I suppose I am a nut Lordkim.
  • lansounetlansounet Member Posts: 1,182
    Yeh, quite prolific with suggestions HeroicSpur.

I guess it wouldn't hurt to have 1 or 2 new quests in the prologue, and I like the idea of one that can only be completed later.
  • lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063
    edited June 2012
    @HeroicSpur ; Hehe, but its guys like you, @Bhryaen, @caruga, etc etc. that really can give this forum a boost of experience. So im glad to be here and be a follower .

On Topic :
    Think i saw Trent mentioned it to...
    Post edited by lordkim on
  • BhryaenBhryaen Member Posts: 2,874
    @lordkim You're in the thick of this process just like everyone else. ;-) Your participation is just as indicative of the legacy of BG as anyone.

As to that guy @HeroicSpur with his 250pts of heroicness- a quarter of the way already toward beating Trent O himself- well, huh, lemme tell ya... I like this idea! For the same reason that @Alejandro mentioned.

That's why I suggest that besides rats and Carbo to fight, we also get a dragon. Just a small one. Like Firkraag, but a little less firebreathing- just a little. No, but it would be nice to see something new in a welcoming way. The mod "Unfinished Business" adds a new encounter in Candlekeep that also acts like a "Hello, you're playing something new now!"
  • KoreKore Member Posts: 245
    @HeroicSpur ; Hehe, but its guys like you, @Bhryaen, @caruga, etc etc. that really can give this forum a boost of experience. So im glad to be here and be a follower .

On Topic :
    Think i saw Trent mentioned it to...
    You're sucked in now. There's no escape :)

As for extra encounters, how about a mini dungeon (a bit like the BG2 tutorial) that gives you a brief glimpse of the under library so that when you come back to it later in game you can say "Oooh, that's what it is. Cool!"

Cadros
  • CadrosCadros Member Posts: 253
    While I fully support this as a good idea, would this be restricted by the no tampering with original material caveat.
  • HeroicSpurHeroicSpur Member Posts: 907
    @Cadros: yep, but there's no complete limitation on adding new encounters to existing areas, providing they don't tamper with existing content.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    The only thing that I request is that any new content added to the Prologue must remain on the same level of epicness as the existing prologue quests. They should also come with Journal entries similar to the ones you found in the original prologue. Reading those always made me smile.