Skip to content

UI scaling issue for default (2) - Cursor display not in sync with mouse selection

dhansen5dhansen5 Member Posts: 12
Hi - I did all of the beta testing on an older machine using 1980x1080 and had no issues. I recently purchased a new computer and new monitor (3440x1440) and am struggling with the UI.

First, the mouse wouldn't work, so I turned the Hardware mouse off. This solved the issue, but now the cursor display is not in sync with what's actually being selected. Horizontal is fine, but it has issues vertically. The area highlighted is "stretched" meaning it's higher than the cursor at the top of the screen, and lower than the cursor at the bottom.

I was able to resolve the issue by changing the UI scaling to 1 - but now everything is VERY small and is testing my eyesight.

Has anyone else encountered issues like this? I may end up playing this on the older computer and monitor, unless I can find a resolution. Please advise. Thanks!

Comments

• etonbearsetonbears Member Posts: 1
    Yes, I have the same issue using the Linux version on Ubuntu 18.04.

As best I can tell, when switching to 2X UI scaling, the mouse cursor moves twice as far ( both horizontally and vertically ) on screen as the distance that is registered when clicking the mouse button.

It appears that the centre of the screen has x,y = 0,0, and as the mouse moves away from the centre, one of the calculations used simply leaves the scaling factor out, hence needing to move the cursor twice as far as you might think to reach a UI element when scaling is 2.

For example, on my 2560x1440 screen when I "apply" 2X UI scaling, leaving the resolution selection interface on the screen, I need to move the cursor on-screen to Aribeth's belly-button in order to activate the "down-arrow" of the scrollbar. By inspection this is twice as far in both the horizontal and vertical dimensions. This seems consistent for other UI elements in the menus.

In-game, the position of the cursor is correct with respect to the 3D rendered world, as this positioning is calculated very differently; so, for example, you can move to the correct location by clicking where you want to go. However, NONE of the fixed UI elements can be accessed using the cursor, since to do so, you would need to move past the bounds of the screen or visible window in order to get the double-distance cursor movement required.

In addition to the bug, the game does not work well with Linux Window Managers. I have some sympathy here as the original game is old, and X Windows interactions between applications and Window Managers, as well as good behaviour in grabbing mouse and keyboard bindings are not easy to get right for all situations. Many games now use SDL2 as a cross-platform way to acquire output surfaces and bind input devices, since it does that job quite well for all of Linux, MacOS, Windows, iOS and Android. If the game still uses GLUT for that purpose, it may take some effort to change, but it would probably be worth it.