Skip to content

Changing PC Properties/Giving permanent passive buffs

Hi Everyone,

A friend and I are working on a PW, one of the things I wanted to achieve was some permanent passive buffs without taking up an inventory slot.

I know this was achievable in Neverwinter Nights 2 as the shards of the silver sword gave buffs just by being in the player inventory, but I'm not sure it's doable in NWN: EE.

I considered (if it's possible) editing the PC properties "Skin" item for players, but I believe this would cause the character to be considered illegal.

Is there a better way to do this?

Thanks

Paddy

Comments

• FreshLemonBunFreshLemonBun Member Posts: 909
    If you change the character file directly it would be considered illegal but it is the most tidy method if you have NWNX I think. Editing the skin item in the creature skin slot if another option, you can use the item property scripts for that, or use those scripts on other gear the PC is wearing. The other option is that you use the effects system instead which is what spells set, you can give them a duration of permanent and set them to extraordinary effects so they're distinguishable between magical effects. You might have to do some bookkeeping work in scripts for events where the PC may have lost the effects, for example remove all effects and then reapply their permanent ones on login, rest, etc.

Since you can raise the effective ability cap it's possible to implement racial bonuses with itemproperty and effects bonuses that don't reduce the amount you get from magic bonuses and don't require NWNX. On the other hand you have to do all the checking and fixing yourself to make sure it works, like if you raise it to +20 but you want to keep magic to +12 so only races and class abilities can reach higher, then you need to track/tag the amount from magic.