Skip to content

5E Ruleset Conversion

I'm largely ignorant when it comes to programming and scripting although I did manage to get a small handle on NWN/2 toolset stuff.

So I'm just wondering if anyone has thought about/started any project to convert NWN to run on the 5E D&D ruleset. This would mostly involve removing iterative attacks, implementing a proficiency bonus, changing how spell saves work and rejigging the skills as well as overhauling 99% of the class options.

Thoughts?

Comments

• 1varangian1varangian Member Posts: 367
    edited April 2018
    Probably anyone planning to do that is waiting for Beamdog to finish unhardcoding the engine. And we have no idea how long that will take.. over 3 months at least since it's in the Icebox on the roadmap.

I'm very interested in this as well. I think the 5e bounded accuracy approach is really good at keeping lower level enemies a relevant threat in big numbers. Concentration is a great mechanic for spellcasters as the abundant buffing in 3.x is just unbalancing and repetitive in the worst possible way. Don't even get me started on the obtrusive vfx that turn all casters into an ugly mess. Reactive defensive magic is much more interesting than stacking the same 8 long lasting protections every time after rest.

In fact the only thing I don't like about 5e is how Fighters get a sudden crazy power bump at level 5 with the extra attack, and how other classes can only dream of such things. Imagine how boring NWN combat would look for high level non-Fighters who still only attack once every 6 seconds.
    dTdPhototoxin
  • PhototoxinPhototoxin Member Posts: 23
    But those non fighters have other ways to do things - rogues get skills and damage, and fighters can trade some attacks to do other things like the battlemented commands
    edited April 2018
    I mean comparing a level 4 Fighter to a level 5 Fighter. Crazy power jump, a level 4 Fighter can't even get lucky facing a level 5.

3.x attack progression is smoother and universal. But in every other regard 5e seems the better game. They even managed to make Abjurers awesome.
  • PhototoxinPhototoxin Member Posts: 23
    I know coming from 2E/BG that 3.5 was a lot cleaner - but that wasn't particularly difficult! The main issue with the iterative system +6/+1 is that say you're base attacking are +12/+6/+1 at level 12 and your end attacks are say +10 on top of that so you've got 3 attacks at +22/+16/+11. If +16 is what you need to hit on average the +11 isn't great because it will miss.

I much prefer the bounded accuracy where sure you're only at +9 to hit but 3 attacks of that is still great.

It also makes zerging hordes of goblins a threat, but still something a fighter can deal with because they can hit without needing to crit although their damage is pitiful compared to your hitpoints.

Also presteige classes. Again I loved some of them but in many ways it was the mix & match abuse that ruined it for me - the whole paladin 1/ socr 9 / RDD 10 type mix and match seemed a bit gamey...

I'm not trying to poo-poo 3E I've had a lot of fun times with it, I just am hoping that now that we've got an even better system (5E) that perhaps we could use the lessons leaned in over 20 years of game development to make NWN EVEN BETTER!
    PaulGreystoke
    Yeah I think I'd prefer 5e bounded accuracy but extra attacks being introduced with a small penalty.

Like a choice for lvl 5 Fighters between making one attack at +5 or two attacks at +3/+3. And once you get your third attack it would be two attacks at full AB or three attacks with a small penalty each.

Also, iterative AB doesn't work well with ranged. Say you have a very limited amount of fire arrows. You really don't want to be firing them with your second (-5) or third (-10) attack that is very likely to miss. NWN happily makes you waste your special ammo since you can't choose to skip your attacks.

Overall I'd just be happy with 5e. It does so many things right.
    Phototoxin
  • shabadooshabadoo Member Posts: 324
    edited April 2019
    It's very interesting that complain about stacking buffs in 3.xe. In PnP bonuses of the same type don't stack. With only a few exceptions, dodge bonuses from different sources DO stack, for example. That's why enchanted armor gives an "armor bonus" while shields give a "deflection bonus".
    My point being that if the game is allowing multiple buffs to the point it seems redundant, then the mechanic has been translated incorrectly.

Correction: I should have said shields give a "shield bonus". Sorry for the mix up.
    Post edited by shabadoo on