Skip to content

How to get the NWN EE Installation directory

How do you find where EE is installed on Windows now? Standard NWN had a bunch of information inside the registry in HKEY_CURRENT_USER/SOFTWARE/BioWare/NWN but I can't find anything in the registry for the EE (searched on my install path, "Beamdog", "NWN").

Comments

• Reaper1510Reaper1510 Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2018
    hmms thought about using an install repackager to capture the installation, atleast here it has a line in the registry to nwmain, atleast in my version under appcompat
  • PlokPlok Member Posts: 106
    I can't depend on that being there, unfortunately. It's for storing application compatibility settings (the things you set via Right Click -> Properties -> Compatibility Tab). Notice the RUNASADMIN bit you've got there? You probably don't need that set to be honest.

Incidentally, I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate and installed the game via Beamdog Client. I'm wanting this information because I'm trying to fix up the Hak Installer tool that comes with the PRC. If there's nothing, I'll just have to code up a GUI to select the installation directory.
  • DazDaz Member Posts: 125
    NWN:EE userdata isn't saved in the install folder anymore. It's in the following folders:

[My Documents]\Neverwinter Nights (Windows)
    ~/Documents/Neverwinter Nights (macOS)
    ~/.local/share/Neverwinter Nights (Linux)
    edited April 2018
    @Daz Unfortunately, I really do need the install directory. I'm working on getting the hak patcher (and the PRC Compendium) working with the EE; that's why I posted this question in this category. The patcher needs to have access to the official campaigns in order to patch them.

This (and waiting for a NWN:EE bug to be fixed) are the last things stopping the PRC from working in EE. It's looking like I'll have to code up a GUI to get people to enter the install directory themselves. :(
  • BehindflayerBehindflayer Member Posts: 36
    Doesn't the nwnsc compiler find the NWN installation folder?

3. -l If the -l flag is passed The following sources are searched:
    Check the environment variable NWN_ROOT
    NWN EE Digital Deluxe Beta (Head Start)
    NWN EE Beta (Head Start)
    NWN EE Digital Deluxe
    NWN EE
    NWN Steam
    @Behindflayer awww man. I thought that would have done it for sure... :(

I don't have NWN_ROOT listed in my environment variables, running env | grep comes up zilch (thank christ for mingw) and I can't find anything in the environment variables via explorer. Maybe it's because I installed via the Beamdog Client rather than Steam?

I've been passing in the install path into nwnsc when I've been using it. Still, I'll make the hak installer check for this thanks. Can I ask what's inside your NWN_ROOT just so I've got an idea of what *might* be there?
    I don't have an NWN_ROOT either, but I have

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Steam App 704450

which has the only "InstallLocation" for the EE that I could find in my registry.
    @Behindflayer thanks, that saves me having to install via steam to find out where it stores the game. Will make the program check for this.
    You are welcome. Glad to be of help. Just ask for any other information I may be able to provide.