Kit*
  1. What do you want to go for87 votes
    1. Multi class
      27.59%
    2. Specific kik
      72.41%

Comments

• GloktaGlokta Member Posts: 97
    Guess i've always been a pure-class/kit player, no idea why really, just the way I preffer to play
  • saffon69saffon69 Member Posts: 58
    kit player
  • HexHammerHexHammer Member Posts: 288
    Usually choose F/M/T, just annoys the hell out of me that they are restricted in xp.
  • KurakaiKurakai Member Posts: 18
    HexHammer said:

Usually choose F/M/T, just annoys the hell out of me that they are restricted in xp.

This is why I prefer pure-class, also I'm unsure about penalties etc.

I'll most likely go Paladin then Cavalier in BG2:EE.
    But at the same time I'll create a chaotic neutral thief and play them both chapter by chapter.
  • SuiboonSuiboon Member Posts: 86
    I'm leaning towards a multiclass, possibly mage/thief, for when I play campaign co-op with a friend who is new to BG. For single player I'll probably go with the blackguard at least for a while.
  • XaenorXaenor Member Posts: 34
    My experiments with multi-classing ended up failry badly, so unless it's a Prestige class, I always stick with a specific kit. But multiclassing itself is a very interesting approach, just have to do it right. I always lacked D&D experience for that, sadly.
  • Kang54Kang54 Member Posts: 58
    I'm always deeply divided. I *think* I'll go multi figther/thief for my first game. I've also debated going for a base thief or an assassin. In the end though, I feel that BG2 is better for dual and some kits, as they take some time to get off ground and really shine (whioch is natural I suppose, as kits were only designed for use in BG2).
  • DinoDino Member Posts: 291
    Cleric/Thief. I prefer to have a large toolbox rather than a specialized powerhouse. Makes for more interesting encounters!
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    Fighter/Mage multi-class, playing a neutral evil female elf
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    Stalker>Cleric and Priest of Talos (5) > Thief are pretty gosh darn fun to play!
    Xaenor said:

My experiments with multi-classing ended up failry badly, so unless it's a Prestige class, I always stick with a specific kit. But multiclassing itself is a very interesting approach, just have to do it right. I always lacked D&D experience for that, sadly.

Multi-classing is easy, it's dual-classing that is more tricky (and more tedious IMHO...)
    Dino said:

Cleric/Thief. I prefer to have a large toolbox rather than a specialized powerhouse. Makes for more interesting encounters!

Think I'm going to try that out for my second run through, fighter/mage first, though
  • DraconianKangDraconianKang Member Posts: 5
    Depends on the character I have in mind though this time I am going to do an evil playthrough with blackguard as it is the new shiny, and I have never done one.
  • CommunardCommunard Member Posts: 556
    I generally either play kit or dual class, hardly ever multi-class. Even though I know multi-class is very powerful, I think it's kinda unnecessary. I'd rather excel at my role as arcane caster or melee frontliner than try and combine the two roles, since we get 6 NPC slots, nobody has to fill more than one role.
  • patbakerpatbaker Member Posts: 21
    with bgee and bgee2 and tob I figure u will be able to go to such high levels better to play multi class
    Communard said:

I generally either play kit or dual class, hardly ever multi-class. Even though I know multi-class is very powerful, I think it's kinda unnecessary. I'd rather excel at my role as arcane caster or melee frontliner than try and combine the two roles, since we get 6 NPC slots, nobody has to fill more than one role.

I like the idea of a multi-class fighter/mage because it can really play like a class quite different from either a fighter or straight mage and there is a good synergy from the two classes

At the first few levels you're basically just a fighter who can cast Identify before resting, but at higher levels, a fighter/mage can use all those great self-buff spells (many of which can *only* be cast on the caster, so you can't just have your pure class Mage cast these on a Fighter) and become a truly awesome magic-enhanced melee fighter.

It's true you don't get as many high level spells as a pure class mage, but you don't need to, I would usually take another mage (e.g. Edwin) in my party anyway who can cast most of the AoE/disabling spells, and focus my fighter/mage primarily on self-buffs and touch/short-range spells. Also, you don't get Grand Mastery like a straight fighter, but you can put the proficiency points saved from there into dual-wielding instead and, for example, gain up to 2 extra attacks that way, if using certain magic weapons in BG2. Also the elf +1THACO for bows and (currently *all*) swords helps here too, if going for an elf (which is my personal preference).
  • EldmoreEldmore Member Posts: 22
    edited November 2012
    I just started BG2 last week and I made a elf multi-class fighter mage thief and honestly he's just way to powerful, can cast invisible 4 times a day + thaco of warrior + backstab x 3 + pickpocketing and more...
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited November 2012
    I happen to be going multi-class for my first run, although not necessarily because I prefer that all the time (I don't). I'm just doing it because the first BG1 game I ever completed twelve years ago was with a half-elf Fighter-Mage, and I didn't use the class very well. So I felt it would be fun to go back to it after all these years and try to play that multi F-M really well, and get the most I can out of it, for the type of playstyle I prefer. But anyway, I enjoy the whole great big spectrum of classes and kits. I like variety. I never play two games the same when it comes to PC classes/kits and parties.
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    I am one of nature's dilettantes; I always multiclass, and in systems where multiclassing isn't possible, I always play a generalist capable of at least two primary roles.

Ideally I'd have a kit as well, because that's another layer of customisation, which is nice, but unless they fixed it, BG doesn't support kits in multiclasses.
  • SenashSenash Member Posts: 405
    edited November 2012
    Sorcerer ofc:) Later I will definetly try Blackguard,and thinking about Archer too. I just love the special little things kits have.
    I would try a Fighter/Sorcerer if I could...
  • EldmoreEldmore Member Posts: 22
    Lemernis said:

I happen to be going multi-class for my first run, although not necessarily because I prefer that all the time (I don't). I'm just doing it because the first BG1 game I ever completed twelve years ago was with a half-elf Fighter-Mage, and I didn't use the class very well. So I felt it would be fun to go back to it after all these years and try to play that multi F-M really well, and get the most I can out of it, for the type of playstyle I prefer. But anyway, I enjoy the whole great big spectrum of classes and kits. I like variety. I never play two games the same when it comes to PC classes/kits and parties.

Same here. I've never completed the game. Any of you guy knows if we can dual class kits?
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    Dual-class, possibly with a kit.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited November 2012
    Eldmore said:

Any of you guy knows if we can dual class kits?

Yes, you can. However humans only, and dual-class characters may not use kits for their second class. They have to start out with a kit and dual to a general class.

• FredjoFredjo Member Posts: 477
    I always get a kik out of playing a single kit.
  • mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    i'm going to try a cleric of lathandar kit...just for kiks ;)