Skip to content

The Dwarven Defender: Trained extensively in the art of Dwarven warfare

I love Dwarven fighters, but I find it hard to justify rolling one as a Dwarven Defender, how exactly did a baby Dwarf raised among humans in Candlekeep get enough training to become a Dwarven Defender which is a prestige class closely linked to Dwarven culture and is considered the elite among Dwarven warriors.

There is one other Dwarf in Candlekeep, but I'm not sure if killing rats for Reevor is what I'd call extensive training in Dwarven warfare :p

Maybe I could head canon that he is not actually of the Dwarven Defender prestige class, but rather just a fighter trying to emulatede the fighting style and traditions of his race. Like with my barbarian half-orc who is not really a tribal barbarian, but rather a fighter who channels this primal fighting style.
booinyoureyesQuartzlolien

Comments

• ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    The real question is why only dwarves can be dwarven defenders, when these same resources are available to anybody at Candlekeep.

Feel like a lot of the racial restrictions get a bit weird when you have a player character mostly removed from any race-specific culture.
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985

The real question is why only dwarves can be dwarven defenders, when these same resources are available to anybody at Candlekeep.

Feel like a lot of the racial restrictions get a bit weird when you have a player character mostly removed from any race-specific culture.

Not as strange as an elven dwarven defender, though. It kinda makes sense that some can’t be mages or bards — they lack that magic ‘gene’, or whatever — and maybe some (paladin) have powers bestowed by particular gods. In PnP my groups tended to stick with the restrictions, unless you could make a reeeeealy good case for, say, a halfling druid and everyone agreed on it from a roleplay and powerplay perspective. But you can’t program an analysis of the argument and vote, so for a computer game, ...

• ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    I could buy that some of the Dwarven Arts are specifically tied to their size, ruling out taller races.

That still leaves halflings and gnomes though.
  • SomeSortSomeSort Member Posts: 859
    edited April 2018

I could buy that some of the Dwarven Arts are specifically tied to their size, ruling out taller races.

That still leaves halflings and gnomes though.

It's not tied to their size, it's tied to their beards.

Edit: why do you think their damage resistance increases as they level / "age"? Their beard becomes thicker / more luxurious / harder to stab through.
    ThacoBellStummvonBordwehrEnialusMeliamneElendar