Skip to content

The agonizing over large purchases thread

DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
So I'm about to rebuild my home server. I've got my old i7 2600k setup with 16GBs of RAM, 4x512GB Intel SSDs, a supermicro HBA, and I'll transfer my existing 6x3TB RAID 6 array to the new box, with room to add more drives later. The server I'm upgrading from is an old Core2 Quad 9550, 8GB ram, 4x 750GB RAID 10 for OS and VMs, plus those 6x 3TB drives in RAID6 (Linux MDADM software RAID, so easily transferable to any Linux box).

Thing is, the Ryzen2 chips just came out. I'm super tempted to just grab one up, and throw it in my desktop and upgrade from this Ryzen 1700X. Then grab a new (probably open box) mobo and ram, and use that to build up the server. If I go with a new Ryzen setup, I'll have an 8 core/16 thread box with 32GBs of RAM, vs the 4 core/8 thread 16GB 2600k setup. It'd be like $800 bucks, but I'm super tempted by it. Plus if I do that I can either upgrade my spare gaming rig from an i7 920 to a 2600K with a much better mobo. The spare gaming box is really mainly used for blasting music while I work out or shave my head in the bathroom and when my friend comes over to play civ6, so no big whoop there. I suppose I could also hook my friend up with the 2600K setup. I gave him my old geforce 980 GTX for Xmas, but his CPU is so crap, it still won't even run GTA5. I could certainly run more VMs on the server if I went for the upgrade, and could finally run a chef server at home, and be able to rebuild any of my systems on the fly with automation.

I'd be out like $800 bucks to do this, but get a new chip in my desktop, a better server that'll last longer, and an upgrade to my spare gaming PC, or able to hook up a friend. I already spent over $500 bucks for those 4x 512GB intel SSDs, plus another $100 for the HBA, so I'm already out some money, but it's all on stuff I'd use either way, so none of the cash I've spent on the server would be wasted.

I've had all the parts for to build up the rig with the 2600K setup for awhile, just have been holding off for the release of Ubuntu 18.04, so I don't have to upgrade crap later. Thing is, I want this box to last for a long time, so the temptation to do it as best as I can is high. That old Q9550 used to my desktop, and it's been running as my server for like 7 years. So setting up something that'll last, and I don't have to put time into upgrading later is really tempting.

I may want to grab up a Geforce 1180 GTX, when those come out too. So this may affect whether I can do that then, or not. But it's not like I'm unhappy with my 1080GTX right now. Ya, I'm a spoiled Dev Ops engineer ;)

So is anybody else agonizing over a large purchase right now? I realize mine is a total first world problem, but who else is working through whether or not to do a large purchase right now? I'm just thankful I can agonize over such things.

Comments

• SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    Some time ago I bought a Pro Controller for my Nintendo Switch. While it's not quite in the same price range as your server, it is very pricey as joypads go, especially when you're in my financial situation. Now it's possibly the best joypad ever made (after the SNES one of course) and I don't really regret it, but every time I hold it I initially think "Better make the most of this, it wasn't exactly cheap"
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    I said screw it, and did it. I justified it by telling myself it'll save me money in the long run. An 8 core/16 thread with 32GBs of ram will last me a long time, and I can be excessive with the amount of resources I allocate VMs.

With all the excessive resources I'll have at my disposal, I could throw a NWN server on there. I've got gigabit fiber, so should run great.

All the hardware should show up late next week, right about the time Ubuntu 18.04 comes out. I'm a bit scared, since my current server had a drive failure on it's OS/VM array. Early this morning the root file system went read only on it, and needed a hard reboot. I'm running on borrowed time on that box, and don't want to replace the failed drive when I have new hardware on the way. Just glad I've got everything backed up.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    edited April 2018
    Yeah I just bought a flat...

Actually, I recently bought a ryzen 1700 non x with 32 Gb RAM. Got 4.02 GHz out of it and I'm very happy with it!
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577

Yeah I just bought a flat...

Actually, I recently bought a ryzen 1700 non x with 32 Gb RAM. Got 4.02 GHz out of it and I'm very happy with it!

Lucky bastard, my 1700X would only do 4ghz with a stupid amount of voltage, and heat, so I only ran it at 3.9ghz. Even though I'm using with water cooling. Ah, the silicon lottery.