Skip to content

Druids! (and dual/multi restriction question)

Hi there. I have a question about the druid class in BG:EE.
In the original game, druids faced a rather hefty increase in experience requirement once they hit either 13th or 14th level. I believe the BG2 fixpack or something similar had options to correct this, giving druids the experience and spell progression tables of clerics. I know there are PnP reasons behind this, but it truly did get in the way, for me. I don't want to spend a long time on a character in the first BG to then simply be discouraged from playing that character in the second game.

Another question: Is the shifter kit fixed? Again, the fixpack noted the issues with the default shapeshifting forms that were very weak, and provided changes that made the class worthwhile. My friend is interested in going through the game if something similar is implemented. Overall, I thought the druid in the original was very disappointing and restrictive, partly due to 2e rules, but also the game's handling of them. One could argue that they have powerful endgame spells, but I argue that druids end up running into a brick wall, especially seeing as ranger/clerics have no penalties and clerics themselves have a lot more worthwhile healing spells.

Another question is about multi/dual restrictions. Are they the same? It's no trouble if it is, but I've always wanted to play my human fighter/druid without using a tool. If not, will there be any such tools available upon release?

Thanks.

Comments

• TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    Well, the experience table is something to worry about for BG2EE.

As for the Shapeshifter, it hasn't be touched. Any changes to that kit will only happen post-release when the developers have time to consider that kind of stuff.
  • chebmehchebmeh Member Posts: 20
    I know. I'd be worried if we were able to reach level 14 in BGEE. Thanks for the swift reply; I'll leave druids alone unless it gets updated, then :)
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    1: No, I don't believe they've adjusted the PnP tables away from druids functioning as Druids.

2: I believe that the shifter kit had some work done on it, but I could be thinking of the Totemic Druid kit. Either way, they're planning on checking out the rest of the kits post-release for balancing. The fact that Ranger/Clerics are super druids isn't related to kit balance, as it is a multiclass.

3: I doubt it, Humans dual, non-humans multi. You could Fighter 12/Druid dual with a human, or just be a half-elf or something, which is essentially superior to being human anyway.
  • chebmehchebmeh Member Posts: 20
    Thanks, Pantalion. I just have specific characters that I've used in 3/PF games, that's all. The conversion of characters from 3+ to 2nd edition is difficult to achieve, so I'm going to have to scrap those characters or wait for a tool.
    I'm very set on this character because I commissioned a voice actor to provide my character's voice in BGtutu/2 and NWN, but I can explore other classes in the meantime :)