Skip to content

Custom monster pallet is gonne!

rodrigodsrodrigods Member Posts: 5
edited May 2018 in Technical Support
I was working on dungeon like areas for a module, had over 60 custom mobs created, over the course of 4 days. Closed the toolset normally yesterday, today when I open the area again all custom creatures are gone. In fact, there isnt even a list labeled "monster" in my custom creature tab. Most of them were in Special - Custom 4, the list name is there, but no creatures in it.

I had an encounter set with half the monsters for testing, the encounter still shows the monsters, all of them. But I cant access any of them cause the pallet shows as empty, and again, the whole "Monsters" tab was removed.

Comments

• DerpCityDerpCity Member, Moderator Posts: 303
    edited May 2018
    For some reason, your toolset is displaying the custom pallete for Merchants. I don't have a technical explanation on why it is, but have you tried changing to the Merchant's tab and back? Also, does this happen on all modules you try to edit now, or just this one? If so, are there any haks in the module or overrides that you're using that could be modifying it? (Granted, you said it worked fine yesterday, so it probably isn't that. Always good to check, though.)
  • Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    edited May 2018
    Stuff like this doesn't normally just happen unless your dabbing in custom content. You may have a rogue itp file that has snuck in changing the palette. This may have come from downloading a creature pack that comes with a custom itp file, which was included in a hakpak you are using. There could be one sitting in your override too.

If you have made no changes or saved this broken module, try loading the backup one created by the toolset found in the same directory your module is saved to. module_name.BackupMod and rename it to have a .mod extension. Load that and see if the palette is mucked up as well.
    DerpCity
  • rodrigodsrodrigods Member Posts: 5
    DerpCity said:

For some reason, your toolset is displaying the custom pallete for Merchants. I don't have a technical explanation on why it is, but have you tried changing to the Merchant's tab and back? Also, does this happen on all modules you try to edit now, or just this one? If so, are there any haks in the module or overrides that you're using that could be modifying it? (Granted, you said it worked fine yesterday, so it probably isn't that. Always good to check, though.)

First thing I tried deleting, the overrides. Didn't work. I'm not using anything custom made in the module. I tried messing with the merchant tab, creating new merchants, new custom mobs, they only get added to the pallet normally. Only happens in this module. I have an older version and its working.

Stuff like this doesn't normally just happen unless your dabbing in custom content. You may have a rogue itp file that has snuck in changing the palette. This may have come from downloading a creature pack that comes with a custom itp file, which was included in a hakpak you are using. There could be one sitting in your override too.

If you have made no changes or saved this broken module, try loading the backup one created by the toolset found in the same directory your module is saved to. module_name.BackupMod and rename it to have a .mod extension. Load that and see if the palette is mucked up as well.

I did have some overrides, but I didn't mess with them at all since I started making these creatures a few days ago. In any case I deleted everything custom and the problem remains. I don't know if its possible that something got "attached" to the module. The module was not broken when I saved it yesterday, 100% sure. Just tryed the backup rename and didnt work as well.
    DerpCity
  • rodrigodsrodrigods Member Posts: 5
    CREATURES ARE BACK!
    I imported some mobs from the outdate module, that are still present in this one. Some errors showed up about used resrefs and the list got repopulated, everything is back as normal. Looks like it was a "simple" display bug.

Thanks for the help guys! (now let me backup this...)

DerpCity
  • Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    A sure way to create a working backup is to navigate to your module directory when you have your module open in the toolset. Inside the module directory is another one normally named temp0 which could also be temp1, etc., depending if the toolset crashed and a previous temp directory was not cleared.

Going into the temp0 directory will be all the raw files from the unpacked module you have loaded in the toolset. My suggestion is to back that up when you decide to make a backup file of your module itself. This allows you direct access to the raw files, which you can then simply drag and drop back into the temp0 directory, then save the module in the toolset to revert to that backup of the file.