Skip to content

Attention : to those who despise rolling for good stats.

What's the problem with doing many rolls until you have some good stats ?
I do not use ctrl+8 in BG2 because that's cheating, I just keep rolling until I have the most appropriate stats for my character.

Why willingly having good stats ?

Because this is a computer game, not a pnp game, where you DM - if he wants you to play for a longer time and do not cause frustration - will adapt the encounters to the strengths and weaknesses of your party.

For instance, in BG2, Mind Flayers can eat your intelligence 5 by 5.
You'd better at least have 11 intelligence if you want to survive two hits.

In BG, encounters are fixed and cannot be changed.

There are mods to increase difficulty.

You are free to use average stats for your characters.

Hey guys, why don't you cut yourself one arm and try to swim ?
And wait, cut both arms.
Why not adding sharks in the water ? (with both of your arms bleeding you'd better swim quickly before the catch you).

This should be harder that way... And so fun ;-)

Comments

• BenjaminBenjamin Member Posts: 39
    edited November 2012
    Its because your cheating yourself from the whole experience. The best characters to play as are usually flawed in some way.
    E.g. A fighter with low strength can be fun trying to juggle your equipment weight & weapon choices.

Why only ever play with a fighter that has 18/00 strength, where is fun in that?

I always have the most fun with random stats, it would be awesome if BG had a random character gen.

...Also some of us like me will get OCD & quite literally re-roll different characters for hours if we allow ourselves :(
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    While i don't agree with the OP, i support the right of roll until i'm satisfied. No one rolls for an entire day and people that are patient and roll hard for a long time get in time better status.

So if anyone want a flawed character with a low status or just want to adapt their status to roleplay, just don't roll again or just don't use all the points from your roll. While people that want flawed characters can already get what they want, if the system change, people that want to reroll will lost this right. So, does that sound fair to anyone?
  • Aasimar069Aasimar069 Member Posts: 803
    I do not need to have a 18/00 in Strength, since there is a book that will carry it to 19 ;-)
    Shin said:

Personally I only see a problem with this part:

I do not use ctrl+8 in BG2 because that's
    cheating

If you're going to reroll until you get exactly what you want, you might as well just Ctrl+8 and save yourself some time (unless you happen to enjoy the process of rerolling). The result is the same. Similarly, if a PnP DM were to let you roll an unlimited amount of times for each stat, he might as well just let you select your stats yourself. Calling it cheating doesn't seem to make sense.

Then again, you miss the best part of pnp games, where your DM (who wants you to enjoy your rpg session), will adjust the encounters to your party composition, which can't be done in a computer game.

edited November 2012
    Benjamin said:

Its because your cheating yourself from the whole experience. The best characters to play as are usually flawed in some way.
    E.g. A fighter with low strength can be fun trying to juggle your equipment weight & weapon choices.

Why only ever play with a fighter that has 18/00 strength, where is fun in that?

I always have the most fun with random stats, it would be awesome if BG had a random character gen.

...Also some of us like me will get OCD & quite literally re-roll different characters for hours if we allow ourselves :(

Why is this an OCD ? You just want to take the best part of the system.

You have an OCD, but I don't.

And I do not need 18/00 in strength, as specified before.

I suggest that you play Icewind Dale, which focuses HEAVILY on combats over dialogues and characters interaction, with your characters with 9/9/9/9/9/9 .

You'll surely have a lot of fun.

When your warriors won't be able to repel the waves of enemies (crappy ac, crappy strength, crappy con).
    When your caster will fail to memorize spells.
    When you clerics don't have many spell slots per level.

It's because it focuses on combat.

Try Planescape Torment, this is a computer game in which most of the situations can be resolved by speaking (and therefore having the best stats is pointless).
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345

Shin said:

cheating

If you're going to reroll until you get exactly what you want, you might as well just Ctrl+8 and save yourself some time (unless you happen to enjoy the process of rerolling). The result is the same. Similarly, if a PnP DM were to let you roll an unlimited amount of times for each stat, he might as well just let you select your stats yourself. Calling it cheating doesn't seem to make sense.

Then again, you miss the best part of pnp games, where your DM (who wants you to enjoy your rpg session), will adjust the encounters to your party composition, which can't be done in a computer game.

My reply had nothing to do with that, I am just saying that if you reroll until you get what you want, you might as well use Ctrl+8 - the result is the same.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited November 2012
    If they were to come up with a say 15 or 20 roll limit for the game I could care less. That is so long as you can keep your best roll stored and they bumped the minimum total to 80 (it could actually probably stay at 75 without there being much difference in your best roll). They won't be restricting this anyways, so I don't see how this is really an issue to begin with.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    As it is a single player game at heart I don't see a problem. Some people want to roleplay it out, others want to mash monsters. Both are equally viable.

The beauty of BG is that both playstyles can be catered for.
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    You can, but you don't have to; what's the problem?

The game gives you a random roll rather than maximum from the off because that's the system it's based on.
    edited November 2012

You can, but you don't have to; what's the problem?

The game gives you a random roll rather than maximum from the off because that's the system it's based on.

That's it.

As @Lemernis stated before, the best solution is to let people playing the way they want, because that's the way they want to play it.

Some people wants to roll as much as they want.
    Other don't like rolling, but they don't have to despise other people for rolling and rolling again.

Leave Britney aloooooone ... ;-)
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    @Lemernis: RIP Bob Ross. :(

Anyway, I don't know people who are anti-unlimited rerolling who are so militant about it they hate people who choose to meta-game by re-rolling til their guy is awesome.

So, my suggestions? Let's not go criticize people who choose NOT to play that way.
  • TetraploidTetraploid Member Posts: 252
    It's a game; play it in whatever way you find fun. If you want to take random or deliberately low stats for a challenge, that's fine. If you want to re-roll until your eyes bleed in order to give your Bhaalspawn appropriately God-like attributes, that's fine too. You don't need to seek validation from anyone else if you're happy with the way you're playing.
  • ElectricMonkElectricMonk Member Posts: 599
    edited November 2012

What's the problem with doing many rolls until you have some good stats ?
    I do not use ctrl+8 in BG2 because that's cheating, I just keep rolling until I have the most appropriate stats for my character.

Hey guys, why don't you cut yourself one arm and try to swim ?
    And wait, cut both arms.
    Why not adding sharks in the water ? (with both of your arms bleeding you'd better swim quickly before the catch you).

This should be harder that way... And so fun ;-)

As @Shin mentioned, there's no difference between rolling for like an hour until your stats are perfect, and just ctrl+8'ing them in, the only difference is the time it takes (and the fact that you don't see your way as cheating apparently, yet you think ctrl+8 is).

Apart from that, I really don't care if that's how you play your games, although I think it's a little absurd to compare the act of not rolling for hours until stats are perfect to cutting off both of your arms and jumping into shark-infested waters...

I like limiting my number of rolls, you clearly don't, why do you assume that my way can't be fun?

I'm sure that you enjoy your way of doing it, although I would recommend trying limited rolls sometime just to see whether or not you really like the game less that way (the same goes for limited saves, sleeping, etc.), not because I think that the way I play is the only way to play, but rather because I've tried a lot of different ways and I've found limiting some of these things to really improve the game for me, so recommending them to others is just in hopes that they might enjoy it too.

• LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    Shin said:

Shin said:

cheating

My reply had nothing to do with that, I am just saying that if you reroll until you get what you want, you might as well use Ctrl+8 - the result is the same.
    The only difference is not getting 18/xx, but that can be easily Shadowkeepered after Ctrl+8ing.
    edited November 2012
    I did not say it wasn't fun.

I just said, I don't like people that advocate their way of playing as above all other way.

You play the way you want, let other play the way they want.

And my final example was voluntary absurd to show that people don't want to impede themselves blindly.

EDIT : In BG1, there is no ctrl+8. You indeed have to roll until you have the scores you want. Most of my characters came from BG1, where I had no opportunities to ctrl+8.
    Tanthalas said:

I don't really see the need to argue about this.

If you want to play with the first stats that you roll, do it.

If you want to re-roll to your hearts content, do it.

If you want to just CTRL+8 them, do it.

Yesterday I wanted to see the best I could roll for a Druid and I was only satisfied after I got 16, 18, 18, 10, 18, 15.

Nice roll!
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    Only took me 30 minutes!
    Tanthalas said:

Only took me 30 minutes!

I would have probably given up by then :)
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    I think I'm seriously going to play a low stat character on the first go, just for the challenge. Ph and crank up the difficulty level to the max of course.
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    I will actually consider having 5 rolls and keeping the highest.

I can see them quickly becoming 6 or 7 though :p
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    elminster said:

Tanthalas said:

Only took me 30 minutes!

I would have probably given up by then :)
    Pfft. Casual.
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    CTRL-8 is boring, I like to roll until I get my own uber stats.

Also CTRL-8 gives you illegal 18/00 strength on non fighters, which is no fun.
  • kilroy_was_herekilroy_was_here Member Posts: 455
    Mungri said:

CTRL-8 is boring, I like to roll until I get my own uber stats.

Also CTRL-8 gives you illegal 18/00 strength on non fighters, which is no fun.

How is it illegal? CHARNAME is a *SPOILER* anyway, so don't the normal stat limits not apply? Well it doesn't work that way, but maybe it should. You suppose it's too late to implement changes before the game releases? :)

• SirCumferenceSirCumference Member Posts: 35
    I find rerolling for stats over and over to be a minigame. You can say why not ctrl + 8 but again it's the minigame aspect for me. I can roll for stats for a couple hours before I get tired of it. I totally get the attraction of not rolling for high stats but for me I just like to see how high I can get my roll without 'cheating'. It still puts limits on you, the limit of chance! Who has ever rolled all 18's? I'm betting no one has ever rolled that before but if you rolled it one day you certainly would remember it, even if you spent hours getting it.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345

Who has ever rolled all 18's? I'm betting no one has ever rolled that before but if you rolled it one day you certainly would remember it, even if you spent hours getting it.

There was actually another thread on rolling where this came up, in relation to comments about an external rolling program in frequent use at one point. The program rerolled around 20 times per second for you and saved the highest results. It was calculated that even at such a rate you'd have to spend around ~160,000 years rolling to expect a perfect 108, or all 18s (under the assumption that the BG rolling system handles like actual dice, which likely isn't the case).