Skip to content

[MOD] BG2EE Bow Restoration Mod - Bring back the power of bows!

gattberserkgattberserk Member Posts: 190
edited May 2018 in BGII:EE Mods
There is something that bug me between the stark difference of certain ranged / throwing weapon type. Bow have their damage neutered to the cores, while throwing Dagger are on the opposite extreme.

This mod aim to bring back the power of bows in original BGEE / SOD. As it focus solely on ITM files, this mod should be applicable to any mod available, including the famous unofficial BG2 Item mod. However I need some kind soul to help me deal with dialogue with WeiDu mod. I am only using DLTCEP for this.

Why this mod? Throwing Dagger have been too OPed in BG2EE, especially with Kensai and their 22 STR fire giant belt. Bow in comparison have been completely outclassed due to meager damage. Benefit of dagger include:

1) Str bonus apply
2) Damage bonus from enchantment applies
3) Unlimited ammo (at very early game and is up to +3 enchantment, only a +4 arrow or bolt is better)
4) Usable by any class (except Priest)
5) You can equipped a friggin shield while throwing a dagger! (Not applicable to Kensai who is the king of TD, but still...)

This mod aim to enhanced Bow back to the olden days, so as to provide a strong competition / alternative to TD. Certain rule are applied to this mod for game balancing.

1) No launcher will give >5 damage bonus.
2) Standard +x damage bonus from +x Enchantment applies, for both BOW & ARROW.
3) Follow BG1EE rules where CLB give extra 2 damage from LB & SB.

With this in mind, I have edited the files to follow the rules of damage from BG1. All magical bow will follow the standard rules as +x damage based on x enchantment except for:

Strong Arm +2: Deal 1 extra damage higher than typical +2 composite bow due to 19 str requirement

Others out-of-norm changes:

Ripper +2: +1 extra Dex to distinguish this bow from usual +2 CLB
Firetooth +5: +1/2 APR to compete with the best BOW in game, APR bonus is only available after upgrade from bowstring of Gond.

Example of bows after modding: (with a lvl 10 GM Archer)

A comparison of end game BOW (after mod) vs TD used by a 19 STR Warrior:

Highest possible based damage (BOW): 1D6+9 (Bow & Arrow)
Highest possible based damage (THROWING DAGGER): 2D4+10 (19 STR, not including 1D2 Fire damage)

Still no fight, but at least the power gap is more reasonable now.

Post edited by gattberserk on
StummvonBordwehrGusindagamekeen

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
    StummvonBordwehr
  • gattberserkgattberserk Member Posts: 190
    edited May 2018

I think throwing daggers simply need to be nerfed.

Honestly BG2EE throwing daggers are just stupid.
    - There should be no STR bonus
    - They should use the same base damage as melee daggers... NOT bastard swords
    - They should have reduced APR

Then I would make all the changes here except I would not give arrows damage bonus from both launcher and missile enchantment. I'd probably give thac0 bonus from launcher and damage bonus from missile.

That is not the point, the point is that bow has been lackluster in bg2. In both sod and bgee it work like a charm. Even iwdee uses the same standard. There is no reason why bg2ee need to be otherwise.

I dont need -15 or -20 thac0. Its not helping. I need damage. Also such change will equalised the power of tuigan, cos as of now tuigan bow is ironically the most powerful bow due to its high dpr (thac0 not an issue especially for archer)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.