Skip to content

What a waste of time

So would appear player numbers have already peaked and started dropping off , in these days of social media aka free advertising im astonished too see youve made no form of campaign to push this game. dissapointed.

Comments

• themazingnessthemazingness Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 702

So would appear player numbers have already peaked and started dropping off , in these days of social media aka free advertising im astonished too see youve made no form of campaign to push this game. dissapointed.

It seems a lot of the small developers are failing at promotion these days. It's kind of strange given there are so many cheap/free options in today's digital world.
  • raz651raz651 Member Posts: 175
    Also there are those that are waiting for it to be released on GOG.
    TorgrimmerdTdPrince_Raymond
  • FreshLemonBunFreshLemonBun Member Posts: 909
    Numbers will tend to go up with events like new releases, announcements or sales. I'm certain there will be a small spike from the D&D steam sale this weekend, no doubt a release on GOG will have the same effect. However the numbers will most surely stabilize once again with a core group making up the daily player base. Combining nightly peak log in totals for both games and subtraction private and coop games you'll have a number that is perhaps only slightly higher than NWN before the EE version launched. None of the server lists tally highest concurrent logins so the best I can guesstimate is maybe a 10% or 20% increase to the total NWN persistent world player base.

I also don't really see servers transferring to NWN EE if they make extensive use of features like those made possible with NWNCX or if they have NWNX issues with NWN EE that can't be quickly resolved. So NWN EE still has a lot of catching up to do and will have more options and community expertise once all the old servers do transfer over.

I don't think sales or other e-store releases will have much of a lasting impact on the consistent daily player base, I expect they'll be spikes on a graph that represents a year. Likewise I don't think new persistent worlds will have much impact on overall totals either based on what is currently capable with this version at this point in time.
  • fluke13fluke13 Member Posts: 399
    Trent has talked loosely about this in the streams with the potential of a future collectors edition. The current version is focused on multiplayer, modders and role players, most of who were playing a little NWN before the EE and following Beamdog. Beamdog will be adding more game improvements, content and graphics over time. Once there is enough of a full package, it's likely there'll be a more concentrated sales promotion and potentially a hard copy collectors edition, to attract new fans and old fans who prefer cosmetic and campaign improvement over multiplayer.
    pscythe
    I wouldn't say it's multiplayer focused at all, I think that's a misunderstanding some ppl are making. While there are some changes made that benefit the multiplayer experience likewise the color filters work for the single player campaign. NWN EE is no more essential for multiplayer at the moment than it is for single player.

The only reason it would be necessary right now is if the server you play on has transferred to NWN EE. Otherwise you need both copies of the game to access all servers.
    dTd
  • jglvz256jglvz256 Member Posts: 52
    It's beating a dead horse, but BD released the game on Steam way too soon - they should have waited until they had something to show people (or marked the game as Early Access to show it's not yet finished).

New mods and PW's are in development to make full use of the new features of EE but that takes time.

Lots of time.

Which is why they should focus on improvements to the game itself instead of always to the toolset.

Game improvements: Benefits to every module, every PW.

Toolset improvements: Only seen if a builder uses them, and then only will benefit that specific module.
    helmo1977
  • voidofopinionvoidofopinion Member, Moderator Posts: 1,248
    jglvz256 said:

It's beating a dead horse, but BD released the game on Steam way too soon - they should have waited until they had something to show people (or marked the game as Early Access to show it's not yet finished).

I can see the case for Early Access but NWN:EE is a full game with 2 expansions, DLC content and a bunch of fixes/improvements to make the game work better on modern hardware, higher resolution support, working servers and player authentication and improved multiplayer, and corrections to lighting and shaders to return the game to it's original aesthetic. With Steam Workshop support.

There are a lot of HD/Remake/Enhanced Editions out there which come with far less content and enhancements for far more than $20.

And releasing the game on Steam has allowed Beamdog to bring in more staff who can work on things like improving the textures and models. Artists and programmers to work on new and improved DLC/New Content as well as a diversity of skillsets who can work on issues and suggestions on the trello roadmap which otherwise would have been outside the reach of the original team.

Because more money. More features. Faster development.

While it would be nice to see MP suddenly flush with new people and new servers I think Beamdog are playing the long game.

:)
    ShadowMDerpCity
    Pedantry aside releasing the game early and staggering out sales and content releases is a valid strategy but has it's own problems. Launching a game with an established player population in place is a boon and the larger that population is then the more interest that will be generated and the more players they will retain on account that most of us want to be part of something.

As predicted the sale and the DoD release already seem to be having their effect but I think these things tend to be like scooping up a lot of water with your hands. Most of it will leak out. So while the strategy does increase revenue it doesn't necessarily build large amounts of sustained interest.

That is instead of having an increased concurrent player peak of 500 more ppl when there's a sale or content release you could have 500 extra all the time plus 500 more when there's a sale or content release. Of course the amount of interest generated most likely interacts with expected sales, with more expected sales the higher the perceived interest / active population. I imagine it works similar to needing money to invest money to make money.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    helmo1977
  • StaranStaran Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 295
    IMHO the release could have been better (as I have said in previous threads).

I still play like I have always played. But not online.

There is really too much module content out there
  • sandronejmsandronejm Member Posts: 70
    edited June 2018
    This forum entry is foolish! Total disaster to reply here, why are you guys doing that?
    Beamdog, please continue with your job.
    Beamdog, I know you are busy with a lot of more important things but what do you think to create a nice and new Premium module? Check my module Amnesia Chapter 1 on neverwinter vault. I can help you guys to create a new premium module, I am good with toolset.
    StummvonBordwehr
  • KethaKetha Member Posts: 10
    It is summer......... go figure... and now, go play.
    Prince_Raymond