Skip to content

1 attack per round in BG2 is awful.

I remember in BG1 , whenever you were attacked by kobolds or bandits , I would charge Viconia, Branwen and sometimes even safana or garrick against them, and they would kick ass!

Xcept for branwen , they weren't really fighting characters, but they did their job just fine against weak opponents. However, in BG2 having one attack per round makes you too weak for combat situations - clerics, bards and thieves had their close combat effectiveness weakened , so I eventually I stopped creating characters who had a permanent 1 attack per round - clerics and thieves are dualed, bards are blades etc

How do you put up with it in bg2?

Comments

• MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    By dualing from a fighter class.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Perhaps, but then you won't try any of the available kits.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    Its not like they weren't already weaker than the warrior classes in BG1.
  • LordsDarkKnight185LordsDarkKnight185 Member Posts: 615
    By not sucking?
  • IgnatiusIgnatius Member Posts: 624
    With a Cleric: buffing. DUHM, Holy Power, Righteous Magic and for the Lathander kit, Boon of Lathander. APR is not an issue anymore and you've got an awesome melee combattant (for a while...).
    Tanthalas said:

They were. However, have you ever felt frustrated for playing a cleric or bard and not lasting long at the front lines?

DJKajuru said:

Perhaps, but then you won't try any of the available kits.

In the case of both clerics and thieves, their kits are far weaker than dual classing from a Kensai, Berzerker, or for Clerics a Ranger.
    If the guy wears heavy armor and has nice weapons, shouldn't he fight at the front lines? In 3rd edition they solved it by giving extra attacks to everyone, at a slower rate for non fighters.
  • KirkorKirkor Member Posts: 700
    DJKajuru said:

Tanthalas said:

They were. However, have you ever felt frustrated for playing a cleric or bard and not lasting long at the front lines?

But those classes are NOT designed for front lines...
    The I suppose it's a flaw of mine. I like having my protagonists in the heat of battle .
    DJKajuru said:

The I suppose it's a flaw of mine. I like having my protagonists in the heat of battle .

I'm going to be straight up blunt...

If your protagonist is a class who is not meant to be a front liner, and he is front lining JUST so he can "Be in the heat of battle"

He must have a wis and int of 3

Because your protagonist is retarded.

DJKajuru said:

If your protagonist is a class who is not meant to be a front liner, and he is front lining JUST so he can "Be in the heat of battle"

Because in Lord of the Rings even the wizard front lines.
    Gandalf is like a Fighter / Mage, not a pure mage.

Thats kind of like what you are looking to play. Try a fighter / mage multiclass.
    DJKajuru said:

DJKajuru said:

Because in Lord of the Rings even the wizard front lines.
    Gandalf duals into a fighter. Gandalf is only a level 5 Magic-User.
  • IgnatiusIgnatius Member Posts: 624
    @DJKajuru: again, almost any class can "front-line". In late BG2 there is no better "front-liner" than a mage. As has been said, clerics are decent front-liners due to low AC, and can be buffed to be formidable melee damagers. Anything is feasible provided your pay the price for it (be it in spells, scrolls, potions, etc...).
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    edited November 2012
    I usually think of Gandalf as a Cleric with some levels of Fighter. Maybe a level or two of Monk to boost his unarmored AC, too (and to reduce Falling-Into-Pits Damage).
    Aosaw said:

I usually think of Gandalf as a Cleric with some levels of Fighter. Maybe a level or two of Monk to boost his unarmored AC, too (and to reduce Falling-Into-Pits Damage).

http://kuoi.com/~kamikaze/RPG/gandalf.txt