Skip to content

A Question Regarding Overrides

Greetings and salutations, and may this evening find a full tankard in your grasp!

Do we (community) need to create a new set of overrides for EE to replace the ones we customarily used for 1.69.? Just as an example, I'm referring to things like Voicesets and NPC portraits, Undead and Goblin Appearances, et al., or are these old overrides still compatible with EE?

Comments

• GrymlordeGrymlorde Member Posts: 121
    edited June 2018
    So far, all 1.69 overrides should work fine with EE except that portrait packs need to account for 11 new lines in the EE portraits.2da. That is, the custom portraits will appear correctly but the new EE portraits will not. I've seen some posts about some GUI mods not working properly but nothing consistent. I personally use a bunch of custom voices, portraits, appearances, tilesets, and a GUI mod in my userpatch.ini and have no problems at all.
  • ProlericProleric Member Posts: 1,270
    Yes, in principle overrides work as they always did.

The wisdom of using overrides is questionable, though, as the portrait example illustrates.

A well-made module will have all its new content in haks, not overrides. That way, nothing gets broken, and no other module is affected adversly.

Having said that, graphical overrides don't often cause many problems. Script overrides, on the the hand, should be avoided, as they often break modules in unpredictable ways.
    pscytheGrymlorde
  • Grizzled_DwarflordGrizzled_Dwarflord Member Posts: 168
    Thanks for the feedback. So for a PW module, does it make sense to place old server-side overrides into a hak and add it via module properties? I don't use much, but I favor TK's A Bone to Pick and Dynamic Deity Populated Pantheon override, and I think something else in Spells.2da where I fixed the Krenshar gaze, and a poison.2da to make poisons actually useful. I had Amethyst Dragon's GUI Override but I removed it for fear of it not playing nice with the new EE GUI.

Also, I question my current wisdom at keeping some of my current Spell and Feat 2da overrides since Beamdog probably fixed or amended quite a bit in the EE version.
  • dTddTd Member Posts: 182
    Well I for one liked to use a custom edited voiceset 2da which had a lot of voices enabled at character creation but these no longer work because overrides don't load until after character creation now. Frankly I'd add it to a hak but it would need to be compatible with cep2.65 and I don't believe it is since I've had it for years. Has anyone recreated one similar?
  • acidchalkacidchalk Member Posts: 70
    My overrides load just fine before character creation. I have several races i'm working on for the dark sun server and i'm working out of my override for the time being while i make them and it all shows up just fine.
  • dTddTd Member Posts: 182
    They do, but are overwritten by hak based files now before character creation.