Skip to content

Content creation workflow

JadeArkadianJadeArkadian Member Posts: 1
Hi there!

I'm curious about the content creation on nwnee, specifically when creating new models that use the brand new specular/normal shader and then run them on the game.
Is there any updated guide on this?

Also i'm unaware of which plugins or formats i have to deal with. Usually for modelling i work with maya would like to stick to it rather than using some other piece of software such as blender or 3dMax.

Also i'm interested on editing and modifying existing models. For example, let's say i want to edit the city tileset and add to it some normal map or even add more detailed geometry . Is the some documentation about this? Also, since the game is 15 years old, what are the engine limits about content?

Thank you kindly!
Post edited by JadeArkadian on

Comments

• zordren3742zordren3742 Member Posts: 207
    I know the the feeling lol. I just started modding a couple of months ago and trying to learn to do everything from scratch is like learning to pick a lock on a chest that is inside another chest that is inside another chest that is inside another chest... Ext.......but I like it. There is a Lot to learn.
    edited June 2018
    You could make stuff in Maya then import to blender then export as mdl, but you will need to learn to use neverblender for some things. I do not think there are any nwn plugins for Maya. There are some old plugins for 3d max though.
    The workflow depends on what you are trying to make. For a simple placeable with no animations from scratch, you will need to make the mesh, unwrap the uv's and edit their layout. Unless you are making a high poly model, then you you will bake a normal, then disintegrate to get your low poly model that you will use in game, then do the uv's on the low poly.
    edited June 2018
    A tip for those that do not know, get a CONCEPT of some kind before you start to model. Art, a drawing, something you can go by. I learned that hard way the first time, know what it is you want to create, all the details or as much as you can get. There is a reason companies have concept artists, it's because it is a lot easier and faster to make something when you know what it is you want to make than it is to add things or change things on a model.
    Post edited by zordren3742 on
    edited June 2018
    The best way to make a normal is with a high poly model with detail. So you cannot do that with anything in nwn because they are all low poly models.You could also use a program like crazy bump or awesome bump,but those really only work better if you do not have a model to work with, like if you only have a texture.
    Specs maps can be made by turning the the bit maps into grayscale and playing with settings in gimp or photo shop. There are guides on how to make spec maps on youtube. The best way to add all these things to a model and get them in game is set them up in and export with neverblender.
    Post edited by zordren3742 on
    edited June 2018
    There are guides on how to use neverblender on the nwn vault called "do it blender"
    Also there are old guides on how to get a lot of things into nwn on the vault just search custom content guides. Most of those guides are for use with gmax.
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    There are guides on how to use neverblender on the nwn vault called "do it blender"

It's actually called "Do it in Blender". I only mention it because it helps with searching if you have the full name.

TR
    oh my bad Tarot
    I want to do some up to date videos on installing tools for making custom content and such. I just do not know when I will get to it.