Skip to content

ActivatePortal, some questions

Hey folks, how do you manage to call ActivatePortal so it can resolve the IP regardless of whether you're trying to connect to a local network or over the Internet?
I mean, ActivatePortal requires an address but if someone outside my network is connecting to my Linux server he needs my router's address while if I'm connecting to my own server on my local network, I have to specify something like '192.168.1.x:512y' because providing my router's address will not connect.

Second off, what's the best/easiest way to provide the address for ActivatePortal outside my network?
Is using Beamdog's tool recommended (and if so, how?) or a DDNS service like My No-IP?

I hope I made my point across, it's been ages (literally) I haven't tinkered with ActivatePortal (and now I'm alone to top it all, I had an IT team back in the days).

Cheers!

Comments

• JapualtahJapualtah Member Posts: 165
    I solved my own problem inadvertently. Or so I think, not sure about what I'm doing here but it seems to be working :blush:

1° Subscribe to a DDNS service. I use www.noip.com. Get a domain name, in my case mirfak.ddns.net
    2° Open etc/hosts on the Linux server and add '192.168.1.xx mirfak.ddns.net' to the file where xx is the static address of the server (which I haven't figured out how to make static yet, my router DNS has issues, will look into that later).
    3° Have the router refresh its address to the DDNS service automatically. If the router doesn't provide that service, either use the Windows software provided by noip or install the noip2 packet on Linux and execute sudo noip2 -C to configure the service. I chose to let my router do the job, easier.
    4° Get into the port mapping utility of the router and map 5121 to 5125 to the Linux server static IP
    5° Script in NWN: "ActivatePortal(pj, "mirfak.ddns.net:5121", "", "", TRUE);" replacing 5121 with whatever subserver you need portaling to.
    6° Profit

I repeat that I achieved that inadvertently, I was searching for some information when I stumbled across some Ubuntu documentation about modifying the etc/hosts file which got me thinking. Not even sure that part was even needed but I just typed things in the order I did them.

Since this had been a major concern to me for the last few weeks, I hope it can help somebody.