Skip to content

Themed playthrough: noble/paladin

Connor, "the Thrice-Damned", as he would later come to be known, had always known he was different. Even before he knew his father was the dead Lord of Murder, Bhaal, he was made aware of the fiendish nature of one of his mother's ancestors. While growing up in safety among the relatively open-minded scholars of Candlekeep, from visitors and history books alike he learned early on that not everyone on the outside would be able to look past the fact that he was a tiefling.

A sometimes short-tempered child, Connor did want to be good, and desperately wanted to prove to the world he could be. He resolved to train, to master his sword, to master himself. To be of service. His desire for acknowledgement and recognition sometimes clouded his judgment. He got used to surrounding himself with the wise, the respected, the people in power, and despite his heritage (or because of it?) his natural charisma brought him to the attention of many a visiting nobleman. He had yet to learn that not all "nobles" are posessed of noble hearts.

In an attempt to subtly steer Connor to good, Gorion introduced him to an old friend of his, a paladin of X, and her squire. Connor befriended both, and learned from the squire that he was actually of noble birth, and the paladin was not. The squire had grown disgusted with the greed and corruption of his family, rejected them, and joined a temple of X. This encounter showed Connor that nobility, respect, Good and justice are not always combined in the same package. The paladin and her squire stuck around for quite a while, and Connor took to the Faith of X and the martial pursuits of the knightly order with abandon.

This basically is the premise for my next playthrough. A tiefling cavalier-paladin of X. As you may have guessed, 'X' is for now a placeholder, since I haven't yet made a RP-decision as to his patron. :wink:

As mentioned, Connor's childhood was often spent in the company of nobles or other people "of station". While he has found the wisdom to now sort wheat from chaff so to speak, he still tends to surround himself with people like that. Starting in BGEE for NPC choices Ajantis will probably be a given, as will Skie (we'll arrange an "accident" for Eldoth...) and Rasaad.

I'm not yet sold on which magic user(s) to take along, and how much divine support we need.

I have Indira, Gavin, Finch, Isra, Drake and Valerie installed, as well as BG1NPC project. A number of QoL mods and other (evil) NPCs too. I am not above using EEKeeper to alter a vanilla NPC to suit my needs, among other things, as long as it fits the theme and doesn't break immersion too much. First and foremost this will be a roleplay experience.

Anywho, I am looking for others' ideas on party composition, and maybe some decision making when it arises.

I'd love to hear your thoughts. :smiley:

Comments

• SjerrieSjerrie Member Posts: 1,234
    Connor is doing well, even if a bit lagging behind the other party members (but immunity to morale failure is a nice thing to have). Currently the party is consisting of him, Ajantis, Khalid, Jaheira, Eldoth and Skie.

Found Eldoth inexplicably in the area south of the FAI, even though I distinctly remember not installing that modded part. Since I had planned on getting Skie asap, and since Eldoth showed up sooner than expected, I took the liberty of TP'ing to the duke's estate, grabbed Skie, and TP'd back. Not yet sure how I'm gonna lose Eldoth, but I need the slots, and way more arcana than Eldoth can provide. I'll drop Khalid and Jaheira probably after Nashkell to make even more room.

Definitely want to pick up Rasaad, but I'm not yet sure if I want Xan or Dynaheir, and Valerie also looks interesting. Dynaheir does come with Minsc, but I'm already quite warrior-heavy and not sure I could bring myself to 'off' the big guy. ;)

When I drop Jaheira I'll also lose divine spells, and I'm not yet sure who fits as a replacement. Drake or Gavin maybe, Drake seems more interesting. Branwen or Yeslick might be an option, but Yeslick enters the scene later of course.

We've just entered Beregost, but will not be joined by Will Scarlet O'Hara, he's for another time if I can look past some textual "quirks". Off we go again. :)
    As there were a bunch of quests to do around Beregost, and my agreement with Jaheira and Khalid was to take them to Nashkell, I parked their butts in the tavern when i found both Drake and Finch there. Drake also pointed me to Bassilus.

I like Drake! He defies the norm, unlike Ajantis, who feels a bit one-dimensional, even with the NPC project.

Sent Eldoth into a home where he got chunked by the resident, which freed a spot for Neera, who will be serving as main arcanist till Xan or Dynaheir.

ON THAT NOTE, I am in fact wondering if I will miss out on content with Skie now that her loverboy got chunked. I have her serving as a generic Imoen replacement atm, but I want to experience her, like Ajantis.

After the sidequests around Beregost, I picked up Jaheira and Khalid again, parked Drake and Finch at the bar (just put in on my tab...), and am now heading to Nashkell.
    We've just cleared the Nashkell mines. Since this was the main "mission" of Khalid & Jaheira, this is the point where I dropped them to make room for Xan. In Nashkell town I already picked up Valerie, and while she does suffer from the sorcerer's early-game squishyness I do like her. I am now again without a divine caster, so I'll head to the Carnival to pick up Branwen... and then I realllly have to make some choices...

Still don't really like Ajantis, but I feel I should experience him at least once. I need a divine caster, so Drake or Finch would have to return, but same as Ajantis I still need to experience Branwen. Also, I really want Rasaad with us. So many choices!
    Darn, last update was a while ago...

Well, I dropped Branwen really quick. Not sure if any other mods than BG1NPC add interjections for her, but imho she broke her character big-time. Still at the carnival there's an exploding ogre "attraction" of sorts, and she outright *laughed* at the helpless ogre. Here I was thinking she was against the torturing of creatures that couldn't fight back. Maybe to her that worldview doesn't apply to Ogres, but that would make her just a tad bit racist.

Anyhow, basically cleared the south area quest-wise with Skie, Ajantis, Xan, Valerie and Drake/Finch/Rasaad. Contrary to what I thought at the start, I don't think I'll take Rasaad permanently this playthrough. I'm simply enjoying Valerie and Xan too much (I need to romance them one of these days!) and that leaves only one slot open, which I should really use for a divine caster I think.

Finch was there for the bandit camp, and while I never had the intention of using Faldorn for long, I did take her along for the Cloakwood mines since she was so enthusiastic. I picked up Yeslick in those mines (who I promptly changed to Shaman, since I haven't played with those very often) and he may become a regular sub.

Went around finishing some more quests and before I entered The City I picked up Tenya. She seems interesting sofar, and is another divine caster. I may take Yeslick through the Iron Throne building though, since he seems to have a grudge anyway. We'll see what happens after. :)