Skip to content

Darkness Over Daggerford Questions (May contain spoilers)

BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
edited June 2018 in NWN:EE Modules
Should I import an 8th level character with full gear to play this, or create a new one with nothing? It makes a huge difference in how the game plays. An 8th level character would normally have some pretty good gear and a moderate amount of gold to work with, but if you start a new character in the game, you start with nothing.

That doesn't feel right for a mod that wants you to start at level 8, and apparently doesn't take away any gear you bring with you. (Which Hordes of the Underdark did, and explained it in the story, and immediately let you know you were expected to start over and find new gear, a lot of which is provided immediately.)

I'm a bit at a loss about how to start this. I have a level 8 wizard from the OC with nothing better than +1 items, a level 8 wizard from Saga of Aielund with extremely powerful wizard items, such as a cross bow that shoots unlimited magic missiles, or I can start with a new level 8 wizard who has nothing.

I wish there was a little more guidance in game about it.
Post edited by BelgarathMTH on
JuliusBorisov

Comments

• PhantasmaPhantasma Member Posts: 79
    If it helps, you will have a 'Traveler's Chest' in the starting area which will contain a few basic magic items according to your class, and a small amount of gold. Your OC character sounds about right, your Aielund wizard a bit too powerful. If you want to play it 'by the book' I guess you bring in nothing, and assume your possessions are what are in the chest, and/or that you are 'travelling light'.
    pscythe
  • pscythepscythe Member Posts: 116
    They have reduce the amount of gold this time, but the combat is still pretty easy. I agree with Phantasma, bring in nothing and take whatever is in the caravan to be your starting gear.
    Phantasma
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    Phantasma said:

If it helps, you will have a 'Traveler's Chest' in the starting area which will contain a few basic magic items according to your class, and a small amount of gold. Your OC character sounds about right, your Aielund wizard a bit too powerful. If you want to play it 'by the book' I guess you bring in nothing, and assume your possessions are what are in the chest, and/or that you are 'travelling light'.

Really? I started it twice yesterday and never saw that chest. I guess I can look again.
    Okay, so I'm getting bogged down in the first town. I've run around talking for over two hours, I still haven't visited the mariner's office or the mage guild, my quest book is getting full, but I still haven't even found anybody that can help me get past the lockdown on the town.

Would it be fair to say that the Darkness Over Daggerford adventure is very heavy roleplay, and very little combat? I'm not sure this is going to be my kind of D&D, because I'm already getting bored.

The art and the voiceovers in the town are very nice, as is the music. But my god, talk, talk, talk, talk, talk; seems like forever.

Can someone link a good walkthrough if I need one?
  • PhantasmaPhantasma Member Posts: 79
    edited June 2018
    I don't think it's massively in balance of roleplay over combat, but it might feel like that if you're not able to progress the critical path - I'll drop you a PM although I think there is a walkthrough still linked on the NWN Vault DoD - https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/module/darkness-over-daggerford-canceled-premium-module and get the daggerford_docs.7z file for critical path walkthrough (although I suspect you won't really need it)
    Post edited by Phantasma on
    BelgarathMTH
    @Phantasma , Thanks, that's helpful. I don't know when I might come back and work on it some more, though, because it gets off to such a slow start, I'm already bored with it, and wanting to move on to other games.
  • ShaidenShaiden Member Posts: 181
    @BelgarathMTH

I was worried about that too when I first tried it. If I might make a suggestion, follow the main plot (Going into the fancy Inn and speaking to a certain NPC), and follow her requests until the city gates are re-opened. There's a lot more combat scenarios mixed in with Conversations once you get to the more open world.

I made the tragic mistake of playing a *terribly* stat'd wizard/rogue, and not knowing I could get both viable party members in my party at the same time, so I had a very very challenging early game. Running through as a barbarian slayer with both party members made combat a lot easier.

The difficulty setting also makes a fairly large difference, as (once again) I found while running my wizard/thief.
    JuliusBorisovBelgarathMTH
  • Taro94Taro94 Member Posts: 125
    Yeah, I'm not a fan of the Daggerford part itself, too, but trust me, the game becomes really good once you're free to travel around the region. :)
    BelgarathMTH
  • Scourge2Scourge2 Member Posts: 32
    edited January 2021
    I'm stuck trying to find the bird/druid in Liam's Hold. I've looked for two hours and haven't found ithe druid yet.

Nevermind.
    Post edited by Scourge2 on