Skip to content

Externalize Class Action Buttons

KenethKeneth Member Posts: 57
As anyone who's ever created a custom kit knows, one of the biggest issues is choosing an appropriate class to make the kit for, as that will dictate your item usability flags as well as determine which buttons will appear on your action bar at the bottom of the screen. There's not much that can be done about the former since someone at BioWare thought it was a brilliant idea to hardcode the (un)usability flags to a very limited space on the items themselves. As for the latter, I imagine there could be a fairly simple way of externalizing the action bar to a 2DA file. A more thorough solution would be to allow players to modify their action bars as they wish, like it's possible to do in IWD2, but that would likely require a lot more work since 2E is considerably more strict with regards to what classes are allowed to do. A halfway point would be allowing the player to customize buttons but having a 2DA file that limits the buttons to specific set that the class/kit can use.

I'm sure it's been requested before, but the ability to modify action buttons would bring kit creation to a whole new level, so it's worth reiterating.

Comments

• GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    Keneth said:

As anyone who's ever created a custom kit knows, one of the biggest issues is choosing an appropriate class to make the kit for, as that will dictate your item usability flags as well as determine which buttons will appear on your action bar at the bottom of the screen. There's not much that can be done about the former since someone at BioWare thought it was a brilliant idea to hardcode the (un)usability flags to a very limited space on the items themselves. As for the latter, I imagine there could be a fairly simple way of externalizing the action bar to a 2DA file. A more thorough solution would be to allow players to modify their action bars as they wish, like it's possible to do in IWD2, but that would likely require a lot more work since 2E is considerably more strict with regards to what classes are allowed to do. A halfway point would be allowing the player to customize buttons but having a 2DA file that limits the buttons to specific set that the class/kit can use.

I'm sure it's been requested before, but the ability to modify action buttons would bring kit creation to a whole new level, so it's worth reiterating.

I wish I could agree with this 1000times