Skip to content

[Monk Ability] "I found a trap! Um... Somebody throw a rock."

2»

Comments

• LaflammeLaflamme Member Posts: 54
    Monks' mindfulness should allow them to react faster than anybody else, so I'd rather have them get a bonus to saves against traps than the ability to find them. Why would they be familiar with what a trap looks like anyway?
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    After thinking about it some more (and calming down after that interesting interpretation of what a persuasive essay is on the previous page...), I think I favor getting rid of the ability entirely. It doesn't help the monk or the party unless there's also a thief in the group, at which point the ability is redundant because the thief can (more often than not) do it better.

So I say, remove the Find Traps ability altogether, and give the monk something else (that makes sense) to compensate. See also my ideas about fighting styles.
  • killeahkilleah Member Posts: 124
    Find traps works fine for me tgh. the very gamble/planning of finding a solution to a trap you cant disarm is actually interesting case. I've done no thief paties from time to time. and they work just fine. imo
  • thedemoninsidethedemoninside Member Posts: 188
    I think the point of finding a trap without being able to disarm it, is to prep yourself with potions or spells of resistance, then cross and pray. I think anything else that would detract from using a thief would severely lower any reason whatsoever of using a thief. I feel that a monks ability to find them goes good alongside a thief who is also searching for them, and it is good for increasing your chances of discovering the trap. Same goes for the Find Traps spell.

While I can understand your reasoning behind the suggestion, it seems like something more suited for modding in on your own than actually being part of the default game.
  • beo01beo01 Member Posts: 7
    I'd agree with the original post, I'd like the idea of the trap not going off (only for the monk) when detected.

(
    I don't think it matters that much at high level (bg2) with the resistances you get but at low level it would help. Not sure why people think monk are strong in bg1, there are no items for them (armor/helmet) and far better classes since monk need levels to be effective, has low healing and nothing like a thief utility. Sure the monk is great in bg2 but I have a solo game going and the monk is far from the best at it.
    Also a lot of enemy are immune to fist damage and need to switch to +1/+2 weapons, one could as well play a fighter.
    )
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2012
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DarkcloudDarkcloud Member Posts: 302
    Mungri said:

Makes no sense to be honest. Clerics can also find traps, so shouldnt they also get those bonuses?

The way it is implemented in the game makes no sense too. If you know that there is a trap every character with decent dex should be able to avoid most. Its not that the trap actually fills the whole red trap stripe up to the ceiling. Also most traps should be removable with a stone, or something else by activating them that way.

This is not possible because of the limitations of the engine.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Darkcloud said:

Mungri said:

Makes no sense to be honest. Clerics can also find traps, so shouldnt they also get those bonuses?

Its not that the trap actually fills the whole red trap stripe up to the ceiling.
    In fact, in the few cases where it does fill the space entirely, the trap is undetectable and impossible to disable through conventional means (see also, Bodhi's dungeon: The Crusher).