Skip to content

Announcing Nat Jones as Baldur's Gate Art Director

DanBoulosDanBoulos Member Posts: 146
edited June 2012 in Archived News

Overhaul Games is happy to announce that Nat Jones has joined the team as Art Director for Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition™.

imageNat Jones has been a popular figure in the comics and film industries for over a decade, working on such popular titles as Frank Frazetta’s Death Dealer: Shadows of Mirahan, ‘68, Spawn, 28 Days Later, Rob Zombie’s The Nail, 30 Days of Night, and many more.

“I am excited and honored to be a part of the talented team bringing Baldur's Gate back to the fans. There is a lot going into Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition, we have some amazing things in the works”, says Nat.

Nat will continue award-winning Baldur’s Gate artwork with his own dark fantasy style. Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition will contain new adventures, characters, and locations featuring Nat’s take on the Forgotten Realms universe.

For more samples of Nat's artwork, visit his official website. For all information regarding Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition, visit www.baldursgate.com

Samples of Nat Jones' Work

image  image  image

The Friendly Arm Inn, by Nat Jones

Post edited by PhillipDaigle on

Comments

• WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    edited June 2012
    This is good and all, but I don't think this is new news is it? I suppose it's a good idea to archive the website updates on here too.
  • RazorRazor Member Posts: 436
    "featuring Nat’s take on the Forgotten Realms universe."

I like this! And the art looks good. It's important to keep the style and try to stop the new trend of cartoon art. I do like manga but not just everywhere and because it may attract different audience. you know what I mean.
    @Razor

I'm still unsure where his art will take him. I have my doubts on how successful his take will be in coordinating with existing pieces, there's every opportunity for it ending badly.

I like his Baldur's Gate pictures, but I can't go as far to say they suit what exists already. My best advice to them would be to not over do it, and be conservative in the amount of new artwork.

But don't think I don't support this, new artwork is great. It just has to be 'correct'.
    @Ward I fully agree with that, did I send the opposite message?
    edited June 2012
    @Razor

Naw, I was just discussing it with you, weren't implying anything really.

If I was honest I'd say the picture of FAI and Candlekeep don't suit Baldur's Gate. Looks like a comic book drawing, a really good one. It's too smooth and too sharp and too solid, Baldur's Gate is hand drawn or, even, 3D animated by the crappy programs of the 1990s. They need to step back in time to make this work and use equally crappy 3D generating and watercolour/charcoal/oil paint. It looks better anyway. Baldur's Gate landscapes beat most 3D landscapes on top engines.
    edited June 2012
    I know what you are saying. It would be nice if they kept that "old feel" But at the same time I fear that, for the developers, making an EE and not updating some things may not make sense. But one thing is clear, it's better hand drawn and 2D than a bad 3D like some modern games have. (Especially landscapes)

Those images also look like a comic book to me, Just compare with the Castle bottom image, that is the feel I'am looking for in BG:EE. Medieval, not marvel or manga or whatever. (I like those in their own enviorment)
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    I think that the Friendly Arm Inn image is the only one that is confirmed to be in BGEE, the other ones are just samples of Nat's work.
  • satanic36satanic36 Member Posts: 1
    i hate 3d rpg games they are all designed to ps3 & xbox 360 they got worst inter face designed to a daam controll pad
  • FillaFillasonFillaFillason Member Posts: 110
    I love the friendly arm in picture!
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    You need to check his site, amazing stuff!
  • FillaFillasonFillaFillason Member Posts: 110
    mch202 said:

You need to check his site, amazing stuff!

*Claps hands*

• Papy_SilkPapy_Silk Member Posts: 44
    I hope there won't be too much zombies though. BG2 has never been about zombies - zombies tend to disgust people like me. x) BG is about dark beauties... *_*
  • Papy_SilkPapy_Silk Member Posts: 44
    Oh by the way, good job on Neera splash and portrait. This is truly Baldur's Gate. You could think it was done 14 years ago with the others. *_* I really love it.
  • ScooterScooter Member Posts: 182
    Excellent job to Nat on the new work thats come out so far, looks b-e-a-utiful! Keep up the good work!
This discussion has been closed.