Skip to content

How would you solo a Fighter/Cleric?

I soloed BG as a FMT, an Inquisiter(BGT) before but recently when digging through piles and piles of web archives I found out that F/C is at least very interesting to play. So how would you people solo as a F/C?

A little ristriction: only consider BG1+TOSC; only dual a F to C ( I think it's a bit more powerful than multi-classed ). At which level would you dual to Cleric?

BTW the weapon choice is no brain as the War Hammer +2 is powerful and can be obtained early.

Comments

• DinsdalePiranhaDinsdalePiranha Member Posts: 419
    depends on 2 things: XP cap? and normal or unnerfed masterys in case of BGT? also, original BG1 weapon profs, or BG2's version?

with playing on, say, BGT/tutu, with all rules closer to BG1 (unnerfed mastery, BG1 weapon profs, xp cap), I'd go with the following:

Fighter 3 -> Cleric, for weapons pick blunt weapons and two weapon style, warhammer +2 in one hand, mace +2 (eventually) in the other. you can reach grandmastery by cleric 8, putting a hell lot of hurt on enemies, and your thac0 will also be alright. use DUHM, kick ass, chew bubblegum.
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    Multi-classing is actually a better option for Fighter/Cleric in BG1, especially for a solo character. You'll begin with your heal spells so there'll be less running around to rest at inns, plus at cap you hit 7/7 instead of 6/8. I'll take slightly less spells per day in order to get that extra attack per round.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    Maybe, but only if he was evil. I want undead to bow to my wishes. :)

Multi-classing is actually a better option for Fighter/Cleric in BG1, especially for a solo character. You'll begin with your heal spells so there'll be less running around to rest at inns, plus at cap you hit 7/7 instead of 6/8. I'll take slightly less spells per day in order to get that extra attack per round.

if you go for multiclassing, ranger/cleric is an even better idea.
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    Ranger / Cleric multi would be the best choice.
  • jimkayjimkay Member Posts: 10
    Will Ranger / Cleric still get the druid spells? Is Fighter / Cleric the better choice if spell choice is fixed?
    ranger/cleric gets all the druidic spells, yes. fighter -> cleric (as in dual class) can be a better choice damage-wise, because they can get grandmastery.
  • DeucetipherDeucetipher Member Posts: 521
    Honestly, were I to solo as a f/c, I'd probably do so as a multiclass dwarf just for the shorty saves. There are enough instant death scenarios in the game that it would be worth it, imo. This would also give you immediate access to sanctuary, a solo cleric's best friend in BG1.

If you were to dual, and only considering BG1, I'd dual at 3. Grab the extra proficiency point and a nice cushion of HP. If you do want to extend his play into the other games, dual at 13.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Cleric/Ranger is definitely a great option, but as far as soloing goes...

Solo with a Dwarven Fighter/Cleric. Make sure to set his Constitution at 19. When you pick up the Constitution tome, you can get your Constitution to 20 at which point you regenerate, an invaluable tool in a solo run.

Don't go for a Dual-Class.
  • ElendarElendar Member Posts: 831
    I wouldn't. :P

I've soloed some of BG2 with a sorcerer and a fighter/mage/thief... Always got bored before getting all that far.
  • styggastygga Member Posts: 467
    By myself.... ba dum tsss
  • Markus_ZhangMarkus_Zhang Member Posts: 13
    Thanks guys, guess I'll play a multi-classed FC when the game hits!
  • IgnatiusIgnatius Member Posts: 624
    Watch out for spoilers below.

I have once soloed a Cleric (Half-Elf, Neutral Good) throughout BG1. I managed a no-reload until the final battle with Sarevok, which I had to re-load twice before I won.

I believe that in terms of strategy it is almost identical to a dualled Fighter->Cleric. A multi-class F/C would be different however, and involve much more melee.

1/ First you need metagaming. You need to know you way around the Sword Coast fairly well. You need to be cautious and pick up the fights that you know you will win / or at least, give you an exit door.

2/ You need good AC and decent HP's in the beginning. Plate Mail, Full Plate Mail if STR allows, is handy. Shield definitely, preferably large. Your worst ennemy in the beginning will be arrows. Wear a helmet for criticals. I wielded a mace and used (a lot) my sling. Save magical bullets preciously. Invest in the best slings possible to improve THACO.

3/ In the first part of the game, there are spell combos that will be very effective especially vs lone ennemies. Command works great if you time it properly. Hold person works great vs bandits. I use Doom a lot. Silence vs mages. Once you get summons, it gives more depth. Bless, Chant are handy to buff them while you command & sling from the backline.

4/ As you level-up, look for undead. Use Turn Undead a lot and the dedicated spells against them. Good XP farming here without much risk, getting full benefit from your class' innate ability.

5/ Be aware of ennemy clerics, they have incapacitating spells (hold, rigid thinking, domination) and are tougher to blitz than wizards. Always keep at hand spells/items/potions that will protect you from such game-ending effects. Invisibility is key; Sanctuary your best friend, but invest in potions as well. Free Action when fighting in Cloakwood is paramount - spell or potion. Potions: use them wisely, they are restricted. Always keep healing & antidote ones in your quick slots. Invest in wands (wand of sleep, wand of heavens...). Money will not be an issue at all.

6/ Later in the game, you will be strong enough to melee. Cleric buffs are impressive, but limited in time and in spell slots. Time carefully when and against whom you transform yourself into a war machine, but when you do, you'll likely prevail (except against you know who). As in any solo run, being hasted is more or less essential in order to own the battlefield.

7/ Traps. They are your weakness. You can detect them, but not disarm. Metagaming is key. And certain parts of the game are off limits (Durlag's Tower). Werewolf's island is also a very, very tough challenge for a solo cleric (not because of traps...)..

8/ Some fights will be very tough, if you know the game you can already figure out which. Being contained in small quarters, alone vs a group and without the advantage of taking them by surprise will make things considerably tougher. One mistake in such a fight, a poor opening choice of buffs/spells, and you probably cannot turn the tide.

It is a very fun soloing challenge. Often you will think that you cannot make it but in fact, the cleric's versatility means there is a solution for each and every encounter in BG1. Be inventive and know your spellbook in & out. Good luck!
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    @Ignatius : as far as I'm concerned, werewolf island is impossible for the clerics, unless you go haywire with a wand of heavens? XD

@Ignatius : as far as I'm concerned, werewolf island is impossible for the clerics, unless you go haywire with a wand of heavens? XD

I pulled it off with a solo druid (weapon restriction being different... which sort of matters a lot in this case). I've actually never tried with a cleric. Wand of heavens indeed, but will the damage be fast enough? not sure. Spiritual Hammer probably won't work. Poison? (is he immune?).

@Cheesebelly: I was thinking, a Priest of Helm might be able to solo the island using its magical +4 Seeking Sword and its 3APR. Properly buffed & hasted, you might be able to deliver enough damage quickly enough. Seeking Sword will only last 8 rounds though... very very tight, wonder if anyone has ever tried it.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    @Ignatius : I pulled a Wand of Heavens kill a couple of times now. It's fairly doable (all for my Cleric/Thief runs obviously). The wand deals 8 damage minimum, which I think is double the damage of what the wolfwere heals per round. Loup Garous don't regenerate at all, so that's easy enough.

It is possible (although I can't say for sure) that they might be killable by the Warhammer +1, +4 vs Giantkin that you can pickpocket from that dwarf guy in Ulgoth's Beard. In Baldur's Gate 2 that weapon always acted as a +4 weapon. Other than that, there's no other weapons I can think of that the cleric can use.

I'm checking around to see if there's anything else available, in classic BG1 obviously (keeping in mind that back then the warhammer didn't function as only weapons labled as "Cold Steel" would work against Greater Wolfwere and Loup Garous, aside from Kaishas Gan - meaning Sword of Balduran, the Dagger you get in the wreck and the Aldeth's Bastardsword +1, +3 vs Shapeshifters)
    Loup garous are not the issue. The problem is the greater wolfwere and he regenerates damn fast. Is he not allowed a save vs wands? I have not tried with the Warhammer +1/+4, but assumed only piercing/slashing damage would work... What do you think about Seeking Sword? it is supposed to act as a +4 weapon, but it does not last long. I do not know how many HP's the wolfwere has, but the Priest would have 8 rounds to kill him. Properly buffed he could deliver a nice amout of damage, and the sword is supposed to give 3APR. Might work...
    Actually on Seeking Sword:
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/6873
    They nerfed it. Still a +4 weapons but no other bonuses (ie, 2-8 damage per hit) so only 1 APR. Much more difficult now...
  • FrecheFreche Member Posts: 473
    MultiClass & Sanctuary