Skip to content

Spawning a Multiplayer Game, Possible with 1 copy of the game?

I'd very much like to get my wife into BG so she can experience the epicness. Will there be a way I can do this with just the copy of the game I've bought for myself or will I have to buy her a copy too? I expect the later, but, I almost remember being able to do the former with the old game. Been too long to remember for sure though.

Comments

• GoForTheEyesBooGoForTheEyesBoo Member Posts: 97
    The short answer is yes. Though if it becomes an issue they will act (they are monitoring the amount of multiple downloads and stuff). I would encourage people not to exploit this and support the people who are making the game however.

~Source: Trent replying to this on Twitter and another multiplayer forum post.
  • RavenXRavenX Member Posts: 86
    My wife has a odd history with gaming. Either she really gets into a game and likes it and plays it quite a bit (like she does with Sims3), or she barely plays it for a few days and puts it down and never plays it again (like she did with Diablo3). If she really likes BG:EE I'll buy her a copy of her own. I would like to try a multiplayer game with her first though so if she doesn't like it much I can save the money buying her other stuff for Christmas.

Appreciate the response my friend.
    @Ascerion I suppose that's true indeed. Perhaps odd was the wrong choice of words. I myself have a ton of games I never played for more than a week, usually after I beat it at least once though. I remember a few years ago I busted my ass hard core to earn the money to buy her a Wii Balance Board for Christmas so she could use it to exercise. I think it got used maybe twice, with the excuse to not use it now being that we don't have that much room in front of the TV, which is true, but it makes me wonder if she'd use it if I re-arranged the room....Hmmm.
  • Sese79Sese79 Member Posts: 478
    I ordered 2 copies, 1 for my wife. We are creating the custom portraits for our characters today. :)
    @Sese79 That's awesome :) . I always used my own custom pics for portraits as well.
  • Vonbek777Vonbek777 Member Posts: 135
    Yep, two copies here as well, probably 2 more later for my kids. Wife and I started creating characters last night in preparation.
  • BytebrainBytebrain Member Posts: 602
    I was under the impression that it wasn't possible to use the same copy if you intend to use it for multiplayer??
  • ValchistValchist Member Posts: 44
    so was i
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    Vonbek777 said:

Yep, two copies here as well, probably 2 more later for my kids. Wife and I started creating characters last night in preparation.

Word of warning. You may find that those characters won't properly transfer over to the new game.
  • ankhegankheg Member Posts: 546
    elminster said:

Vonbek777 said:

Word of warning. You may find that those characters won't properly transfer over to the new game.
    BG1, BG2 or both characters?
    ankheg said:

elminster said:

Vonbek777 said:

BG1, BG2 or both characters?
    Either. Just don't expect them to work until someone comes out with a conversion program. They may without it, but from what I've been reading on here its best not to get your hopes up.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    There is no guarantee that any character from the original series will still work with the EE. The files still use the same format, but it's definitely not an advertised capability. A lot has changed that might make it not work.

That said, if it does work, more power to you.
  • ankhegankheg Member Posts: 546
    Than I have to make a free afternoon for rerolling. :) Thanks anyway.
    Yes, but the Portraits should work, not? I created asmodeaL, asmodeaM, and asmodeaS all as 24 bit bmp with the given sizes (read on an another topic).
    edited November 2012
    Sese79 said:

Yes, but the Portraits should work, not? I created asmodeaL, asmodeaM, and asmodeaS all as 24 bit bmp with the given sizes (read on an another topic).

So long as you put them where they need to go sure they should work. Make sure you name them properly as well. I think those are fine names though, as I think the maximum number of letters is 8.
  • raelcariraelcari Member Posts: 133
    I'm gonna bump this in hopes of getting an official word out: Is it possible to run more instances of 1 account of BGEE at the same time for multiplayer purposes, or do we need to buy several copies/accounts like say SC2?

At the risk of seeming cheap, I'd like to point out that I've pre-ordered 2 copies, and in my case the question has a 3rd player in mind...:)
    It's not so much that I'm trying to be cheap so my wife can play, it's that we're rather "poor" and if I'm going to spend another 20 I need to make sure she likes the game first. Granted I could just let her play mine on my PC, but then those would be minutes that I'm Not sitting here playing it, and that is completely unacceptable!!!

:)
    I could download mine, but not my wife's. She were going to sleep, couldn't wait for it. Shame on releasers. :( And the Intro video was a crap, lacks the most important phrase, that he is not alone, there are bhaalspawns out there.