Skip to content

Help with older content?

KnickalenKnickalen Member Posts: 8
Ok so trying to install:

https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/script/curse-wolf-player-dm-controlled-lycanthropy-script

Ideally as an override so it would work across whatever I elected to play. Right now primarily the main campaign. I really wasn't that good with the toolset over a decade ago when I was playing this game all the time. Turns out I am less so now. Like newb level -50. I managed to get the player controlled widget into the main game. But I have no idea how to get the scripts to work along with said object outside of it's sample mod. Any help would be deeply appreciated, just please in advance, explain it like your talking to a 5th grader. Not even a particularly bright 5th grader. Really just very average. Thanks very much!

Post edited by Knickalen on

Comments

• KnickalenKnickalen Member Posts: 8
    Just as a bit of follow up. The mod does work with NwN EE. No problems loading it up or changing shape into a werewolf within the mod itself. Just trying to learn how to make that possible in the main campaign or other mods. If this is something that can be accomplished with the override folder or if it is a toolset issue. If the latter, I may be in trouble as I was never particularly adept with it. But hoping for input from others more skilled. Thanks :)
  • ShadooowShadooow Member Posts: 402
    put the files into override then spawn the "controller" item using dm console
    ##DebugMode 1
    ##dm_spawnitem resref_of_the_controller_item
    edited August 2018
    So just drop the mod itself into override and then spawn the item? I managed to get the item into the game just be exporting a character with it from the module itself. But even with the item and the module in override folder the scripts aren't firing when I use the item. Would spawning the item in the actual game I intend to use it in make a difference?
    aha

i downloaded it and checked it - it is not scripted with "tag-based" scripting in mind.

This would have to be reworked significally to work as override. (Or BeamDog has to give us the script which runs in every module - something I requested on an internal feature tracker)

Alternative would be to manually set the module's OnActivate event to the cotw_on_activate which will however disable the module's activate features (bad bad) or to merge it which needs a bit of scripting knowledge.

Maybe I can find a time and rework this into override, but no promises.
    Shadooow said:

aha

i downloaded it and checked it - it is not scripted with "tag-based" scripting in mind.

This would have to be reworked significally to work as override. (Or BeamDog has to give us the script which runs in every module - something I requested on an internal feature tracker)

Alternative would be to manually set the module's OnActivate event to the cotw_on_activate which will however disable the module's activate features (bad bad) or to merge it which needs a bit of scripting knowledge.

Maybe I can find a time and rework this into override, but no promises.

I would indeed be grateful for that. I have been trying to figure out how to add it to a module. My lack of understanding of even the most basic of toolset functions is a major hindrance there. But between here and the steam boards a few people seem interested in the opportunity to play with it. I am going to keep trying on my end. If you were to do it, is there a way to still edit the content? I have been tinkering with how to do that as well. In any event, whatever you decide. I deeply appreciate the time you have already taken.
    Shadooow said:

aha

Here's hoping they pony up that script you requested. I pretty much exhausted everything I can think of, and know how to do. Been trying to learn and attack this for a few days now. To no avail unfortunately.
    Hmm this proved to be bit more complicated than I though because it requires to put code into several module events.

This can be done using scripting now under NWN:EE however we still lact the script that I requested which makes changing module events via scripting little difficult to do. There is still a workaround to that, but not very good one and you might overwrite existing functionality of module/other package like that.

The best option would be to follow the installation in the package readme, however installing this into singleplayer module was probably never intented and while possible, it is impractical because singleplayer modules are mostly detached into many parts and each part is different module so you would have to install it into all parts...

Anyway, when the readme says:

// #1: Modify OnClientEnter module event script.
    // Add the following line to somewhere at the top of the script
    #include "cotw_include"
    // Add the following line to somewhere in the void main function.
    DelayCommand (6.0, COTWOnClientEnter (GetEnteringObject()));

what it means is that you open module of the singleplayer you want to install it, import the cotw_base_1_00 and then go into Edit - Module Properties - Events.

There you locate OnClientEnter and then you press edit button located right side of it. This will open script editor.

There you add line

#include "cotw_include"

above void main() line

and then you add
    DelayCommand (6.0, COTWOnClientEnter (GetEnteringObject()));
    right under the first bracket "{" under void main, then save and compile - it shouldn't throw an error.

you do this for other events and that should make it work properly - yes it is a lot of work something not really expected from a player, this is because the package was never intented for players but module builders instead as they possess this knowledge.
    Knickalen
    I tried that, and while I may have made an error you may help me correct with your example, the module still didn't compile properly. I moved chapter 2 and renamed it .mod then added everything. But when I tried building the module it throws literally hundreds of missing files.

I thought this might be an issue of having used steam to install things, and perhaps they didn't follow. So I uninstalled everything via steam. Started over with a new copy of chapter 2 and tried again. Same thing, hundreds of missing files. I'll try again using your guidelines and see if it makes a difference.
    aaaah official campaign, ah i see thats a problem

nwn has special treatment to the campaign modules, even if you copy the nwm and rename it to mod, without renaming the module everytime you try running it it will run the file in nwm folder. And while renaming will help and allow you at least to test your changes, the possible older savegame will still load the unrenamed module and you would have to start again and instead of starting campaign normally you would have to start it using Other Modules.

Anyway, to avoid this you need to rename your customized module back to nwm and overwrite the original file. Then it should work assuming you did everything correctly. If you start the modified, renamed module using F9 does it work?
    btw i never said build module, you dont need to build module its almost useless feature, and you can ignore those errors. Just make sure those scripts you are supposed to edit compiles after you edit them.
    Ok I think I am following you. I will test all of this and let you know the results. I really appreciate the assistance yet again. I hope you get that script you were looking for. There has got to be an easier way to play a werewolf =)
    Success! I managed to get this to work in Chapter 2 of the main campaign. However when installing it into Chap 4 using the same guidelines, I can not seem to alter OnUnAcquiredItem module event script. When I try and edit it, it just starts a new untitled script and opens a screen with module resources when I go to save it. Any advice?