Skip to content

Good Clerics can now Cause Wounds and Animate Dead???

I just tried rolling up a Good Cleric and found that I could prepare the Animate Dead and Cause Wounds spells. I'm positive that in the past, Good Clerics were not able to use the Animate Dead or Cause Wounds spells.

When was this changed? Was this part of the 2.5 update? Or did it happen a long time ago?

Comments

• BorekBorek Member Posts: 513
    Smurfking said:

I just tried rolling up a Good Cleric and found that I could prepare the Animate Dead and Cause Wounds spells. I'm positive that in the past, Good Clerics were not able to use the Animate Dead or Cause Wounds spells.

When was this changed? Was this part of the 2.5 update? Or did it happen a long time ago?

Yeah it doesn't really match the pnp rulings most GM's subscribed to which was Undead=evil, but i prefer to think that the creation is merely a tool, it's what the priest does with it that counts. AFAIK it's always been available as a spell for clerics in BG.

The only spells that change with Alignment are the ones that target good or evil, and if you play a neutral cleric you can actually pick from both versions which is kinda cool.
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,434
    Afaik, Animate Dead was always available to good clerics, even in classic BG2. Not sure about Cause Serious Wounds, but I remember Harm being available to good clerics too.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I've never used the "cause wounds" line of spells, but Animate dead and Harm were always available to good claerics.
  • SmurfkingSmurfking Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the clarification! I must've been thinking of Icewind Dale or something.
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    Yes, IWD has these restrictions for the Cause X spells, but not Animate Dead. It always was more strict about following P&P rules than the BG series.