Skip to content

Large Haks and NWN user folder in Documents

I think that locating user folder wasn't a good idea. Many of the PC players have a SD disk for system and SD disks doesn't have much space on them.

From this reason Documents folder is unsuitable for players. Afterall my old hak folder had 30GB size, just CEP2 is over 5gb. And many PWs such as Sinfar have haks that takes up much more space than that.

It was reported to me from a builder of a PW that attempted to move onto NWN:EE, but their haks have 20GB total and many of their players have no space on C: drive.

Is there secondary location for haks? If not, is there anything we can do about this issue?

Comments

• Grizzled_DwarflordGrizzled_Dwarflord Member Posts: 168
    Agreed. The choice to place them there seemed short-sighted.
  • DerpCityDerpCity Member, Moderator Posts: 303
    At the top of the NWN.ini under [Alias] it lists the path that the game looks for Haks, Screenshot, etc. You can change the path to where you want it to look for haks, presumably including changing which drive it's looking in.
  • shadguyshadguy Member Posts: 154
    Can you can use an alias in the .ini file to relocate your folders to wherever you like?

Dave
  • ShadooowShadooow Member Posts: 402
    edited August 2018
    DerpCity said:

At the top of the NWN.ini under [Alias] it lists the path that the game looks for Haks, Screenshot, etc. You can change the path to where you want it to look for haks, presumably including changing which drive it's looking in.

hmm yes this should work, still this seems to be quite unfriendly solution to the user and you end up with basic folders in documents and hak in hdd2:/NWN/haks and will have to manage it separately.

I think what we need is the ability to locate the NWN user folder to wherever we like prefferably during installation.
  • shadguyshadguy Member Posts: 154
    I've aliased all of my folders to my old 169 install to avoid redundancy. Our PW hasn't migrated yet from 169, but we can look at before and after nicely, and NWNee folders all point at the legacy 1.69 locations I have under C:\Games

The "Documents" and NWNee alias stuff is clumsy - I filed a RedMine ticket on it back in December but I think we ended up just chalking the whole thing up to "it's confusing, but can work". I think the part that confused me was that the .ini file must live in my Documents folder, even if nothing else does (IIRC, YMMV). I was trying to stick the thing in the bin dir or something like that.

-Dave