Skip to content

[Request] Make Taverns More Worthwhile

HeroicSpurHeroicSpur Member Posts: 907
Hey everyone,

I think one area of the game which is a bit flat is the taverns in BG1. You don't actually need to use the tavern rumours to get any quests, so they feel under-utilised. This is disappointing because you can imagine some very interesting stuff coming out with just the right number of drinks...

My suggestion may help kill two birds with stone. There are certain hidden items, ring of wizardy near friendly arm, ankheg plate in a field in nashkel, which with the tab key highlight are very easy to collect and very powerful. Rather than getting rid of these items, make them only appear after the player has heard about them while drinking at the nearby tavern. that way you can stop players getting them too easily and give some utility to taverns.

While that might count as content-tampering, I would still say that tavern rumours should still be given increased functionality.

Comments

• Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    That ring of wiz always struck me as a cheat to be able to find it so early in the game... Not to mention it is impossible to find it without the prior knowledge of it being there...without the tab key. This is why I don't even use the tab key :) maybe there should be an option to disable the tab key too.
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,525
    @Space_hamster You don't happen to have an account on the Beamdog forum, do you? ;-P
  • AliteriAliteri Member Posts: 308
    Thing is, I could swear that there was a comment about a crazy gnome speaking about a ring and running into the wilderness that does estabilish things, but there was no such thing in every one of my BGT playthroughs...
  • MajoritasMajoritas Member Posts: 16
    I think that the rumors could help you find some hidden items, like said ring. But you should be able to find them somehow without hearing the rumor.
    I'd say maybe add a new location(s) with some quest(s) that would be triggered by a tavern rumor. It would be like "Hey, have you heard about that bridge? I heard someone saying that there are few trolls living there."
    Anyways, this is great idea and I fully suport it.
    There is plenty of opportunity for mini quests in taverns, most taverns are quite empty in BG. There could be gambling, ladies of the night ;) , fences dealing in smuggled goods, con artists, high society types looking for trouble, bar owner quests (similar to candlekeep bar), the possibilities are endless.
    Thing is, I could swear that there was a comment about a crazy gnome speaking about a ring and running into the wilderness that does estabilish things, but there was no such thing in every one of my BGT playthroughs...
    Oh man...I may have to reinstall BG I To confirm. I can't wait to try it out on my iPad though.
  • lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063
    Yir but not all should be like that. A bar should be a bar. For drinking and fun. A place to relaxe and rejoin ;)
    edited June 2012
    Im in !!! where are you :P

Well i see the fun and it may be good for the game, so its not so trivial in bars. But still, not in every Bar . :O)
    There is one quiet bar in BG city that has a library inside right? That one should be perfect for you :)
    :P
  • WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    edited June 2012
    @Bhryaen

I find your morbid fascination with homicidal Xvarts disturbing... (EDIT: apparently homicide only applies to humans killing other humans. What do you call it if it's Xvarts killing humans?)

...But then again I am the one with a shrine to him in my laundry.

I would enjoy taverns being more useful too. Not much reason to go there, except for a drink. I don't think the innkeeper would let you in on free magical items. "Say! Did you know there's a full suit of Ankheg armour in Nashkel in a hole next to the fields? Go on. Go look! You'll be happy."

Silly innkeeper could've sold it.
  • HeroicSpurHeroicSpur Member Posts: 907
    @Bhryaen, @Ward: I mentioned over on the reddit that what would be brilliant is a running 'tavern rumours' quest. In other words a quest which required or led you from tavern to tavern on a wild goose chase, but eventually if you have the persistence and constitution you get some special reward at the end (e.g. +1 cons, or a permanent increase to the bonuses you get when intoxicated). This would also benefit from the fact there are loads of taverns in the BG game already.

Another excellent quest would be one similar to Witcher 2, where you drink heavily, and wake up the following day outside and without any equipment. You then have to find out what happened to you and get your stuff back.

And Bhryaen, we know you're talking about the Ulcaster Skeleton Ring quest.
  • SterlingArcherSterlingArcher Member Posts: 8
    How about adding some more rumors about some of the "legendary hero" quest that you have done. And\or some rumors about a band of heroes or misfits depending on reputation? or when you take over a stronghold, could be mentioned.

Also sometimes you get rumors about stuff that are you have cleared out, witch is fine for a while. But should stop after some time (to simulate how rumors take time)
  • ZakerosZakeros Member Posts: 75
    @SterlingArcher I'm not exactly sure, but there are some rumors about CHARNAME, after the Nashkeel mines for example
  • SterlingArcherSterlingArcher Member Posts: 8
    yes the nashkeel mine , but i think that is the only time it is used (?)
    Its a while since i've played BG1 but if you play BG2 and kill firkraag, free trademeet, nalias keep, or take down demigorgon. it would be nice touch if theres a small chance that you could hear about it in a bar. Or if your reputation is low\high, "watch out for the evil\good merchendaries who roam the land"
  • JamesJames Member Posts: 110
    You could also tie the tavern rumours to some of the smaller quests, like Marianne at the Friendly Arms Inn and Joseph's Ring quest in Nashkel or the lady who is waiting for news of her husband in Beregost as I'm not sure they have any other trigger points apart from wandering into their houses?

On the subject of Josephs wife I always find it odd that I have to pick the lock when I go inform her her husbands not coming home
  • AzL0nAzL0n Member Posts: 126
    @HeroicSpur

I know we discussed this suggestion a lot on beamdog but I feel like I need to reiterate what a fantastic suggestion this is and how it would be unfortunate if it was passed up. I think this would be an especially interesting feature for new players who have no idea about these secret items and who would likely never find them unless they looked it up online.

@AndreaColombo

''@Space_hamster You don't happen to have an account on the Beamdog forum, do you? ;-P ''

LOL.

• carugacaruga Member Posts: 375
    Totally against creating containers upon certain events (as you know from the beamdog thread, HeroicSpur). But I am in favour of making rumours more meaningful.
  • pklooppkloop Member Posts: 113
    There is plenty of opportunity for mini quests in taverns, most taverns are quite empty in BG. There could be gambling, ladies of the night ;) , fences dealing in smuggled goods, con artists, high society types looking for trouble, bar owner quests (similar to candlekeep bar), the possibilities are endless.
    All for this. So much additional content can be added by fleshing out taverns..
  • CommunardCommunard Member Posts: 556
    Any DM worth his salt will tell you that pretty much *any* adventure can start in a tavern...
  • gesellegeselle Member Posts: 325
    I smell future content/quests, that will start in taverns
  • pklooppkloop Member Posts: 113
    Any DM worth his salt will tell you that pretty much *any* adventure can start in a tavern...
    Exactly:-) Ye 'ole tavern is home base.
    edited July 2012
    I love how the original BG had a T rating because of Alcohol use (not that getting drunk in game ever served a purpose)! ;)
  • Jaxx86Jaxx86 Member Posts: 26
    I really like the idea of adding more functionality to the taverns. The OP had a fresh idea about the bartender giving the player rumors about the location of magical items. The bartender should also reveal unique quests. Some taverns should also load a random companion you can take along with you on your adventures. Maybe every 150 days the sellsword at the bar changes to someone else. These hirelings shouldn't have the best stats seeing as how they are merely capable normal people, not heroes like Minsc or Edwin.
  • paulsifer42paulsifer42 Member Posts: 267
    I really like the idea of adding more functionality to the taverns. The OP had a fresh idea about the bartender giving the player rumors about the location of magical items. The bartender should also reveal unique quests. Some taverns should also load a random companion you can take along with you on your adventures. Maybe every 150 days the sellsword at the bar changes to someone else. These hirelings shouldn't have the best stats seeing as how they are merely capable normal people, not heroes like Minsc or Edwin.
    I'm not a big fan of the "random companion." Mostly because I've never seen it done well. I already have 5 very capable and talented team members, do I really need a lacky who I constantly have to try to save from death? Aside from that though, I agree with the idea of unique quests from taverns and rumors leading to rewards.
  • bgplayabgplaya Member Posts: 129
    I think the BG series probably had the most worthwhile taverns in any RPG I've played. The Copper Coronet was the best tavern-based questline I've played in any game.

But that being said, I don't remember the rumors you can get serving much of a purpose. Would be nice if they kept the 'flavor' information that was already there, and threw in a few things that were actually useful. The sellsword idea mentioned above would be neat too, but I really only see it being utilized in BG 1, since you already have more than a full party by the time you reach your first tavern in 2. And I think your everyday merc is gonna ask for a little extra if you ask him to go into the Underdark with you. :p
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    edited July 2012
    Copper Coronet FTW But I was surprised how they got the troll down there...