Skip to content

Help Modding Single Player

RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
edited August 2018 in General Discussions NWN:EE
Hello,

I don't usually come around here, but I need some help.

Finally I'm jumping into NWNEE (bought it a long time ago but never played it). All DLCs, everything ready.

But I would like some guidance in how can I mod the Single Player aspect of the game. In Baldur's Gate/Icewind Dale it is all a matter of clicking one .exe and that's it, but looks like things are way different with NWN.

I want to use the following:

Community Patch (1.72)

CEP

PrC

ProjectQ

I don't even know if they are fully compatible with each other.

The community patch is installed already (the main screen shows 1.72, so I think I managed to do this).

CEP was downloaded through Steam Workshop, but I'm not sure if it is enough. I've also downloaded a Hotfix (can't remember if I saw it here or in Neverwintervault) and unpacked it inside /hak folder (as it was cep2_top_2_65.hak)

ProjectQ I've download files here (full 2.2, 2.2.1, 2.2.2 and Hotfix) and unpacked it in C:\Users\MyName\Documents\Neverwinter Nights

I know that for a multiplayer experience it would be enough. Throw the files, log the server, everything is there. But I'm not sure if the single player campaigns (OC, SoU, HotU, WCoC, PoS, DoD, WW, KM, ID) work this way.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• zordren3742zordren3742 Member Posts: 207
    edited October 2019
    Post edited by zordren3742 on
    edited October 2019
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    @zordren3742 Thanks for replying.

So all I can do is change the way things look, not adding new things like, let's say, more head options?
    edited October 2019
    edited October 2019
    @zordren3742 Thanks, I'll take a look :)
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    You also should take a look on these boards. It is possible to use project Q as an override... sort of. To do so you need to use project Q haks as patches. The method is outlined here, in the custom content section of these boards.

For a pure override tileset solution you could try NWNCQ by chico400. It used to be very popular back in the day.

One word of caution however. Using either or both of these is done purely at your own risk and can cause problems with other user made content.

TR
    @TarotRedhand Thanks!!! That will help me a lot.
  • ShadooowShadooow Member Posts: 402
    There is actually not much content for that. And there is rarely a description that would tell a player that this package will "mod" single player.

This comes mostly because the situation with mods is completely different than in BG2. In NWN we are able to create new singleplayers whereas in BG2 custom content was limited to modding vanilla campaign. And new single players are called "modules" with a "mod" file shortcut. Also pure mods for vanilla campaigns never were a thing in NWN.

So basically.

CEP, CTP, CMP, CPlaceablePack, CCreaturePack and ProjectQ will not modify single players in any way. Only exception is that Project Q has a special modded vanilla campaign that is using new assets. But thats it.

From packages that do affect single players: community patch, henchman battle AI, PrC (but needs to be installed into module it is not override), NWNCQ, creature override compilation and everything what states that it is "override" such ass various icon recolors, various main GUI image replacements, and various "cheat-like" stuff such as faster rests etc.

community patch and henchman AI are closest to the BG2 style of mods
    edited August 2018
    @Shadooow Thanks for clarifying this.

Can you guys recommend a good creature override compilation? I really hate pretty much every single creature provided by Bioware and ProjectQ spoiled me with good skins.

What I basically need to be happy are more heads and better-looking creatures.

Again, thanks guys!

Edit: Found one. :)
    Post edited by Raduziel on
  • Nic_MercyNic_Mercy Member Posts: 418
    You can mod the OC's easily. It's simply a matter changing the file extension to .mod instead of .nwm to open them in editor and then changing them back once you're done.

The CPP installation is mostly in the client folders but for certain functions the mod on load script needs to incorporate the CPP one for all the switches.

I edited all the OC's myself to use the CEP and the CPP functionality as well as using an override to make most of the tilesets look better. It just takes a little time.
    Nic_Mercy said:

You can mod the OC's easily. It's simply a matter changing the file extension to .mod instead of .nwm to open them in editor and then changing them back once you're done.

The CPP installation is mostly in the client folders but for certain functions the mod on load script needs to incorporate the CPP one for all the switches.

I edited all the OC's myself to use the CEP and the CPP functionality as well as using an override to make most of the tilesets look better. It just takes a little time.

Can you explain like I was five?

And can it be done with an ongoing game? Just passed the most boring battle ever against an Intellect Devourer and would prefer to crawl over glass before doing that again.
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    When you make a savegame, NwN actually stores the whole module at that point so it would not be an easy matter to make the mod you want. That intellect devourer is not that bad is it?

TR
    Oh sir, yes he is.
    edited August 2018

When you make a savegame, NwN actually stores the whole module at that point so it would not be an easy matter to make the mod you want. That intellect devourer is not that bad is it?

TR

This doesn't apply to NWN campaigns, thus most campaign modifications will take effect in already existing save games.

Either way, if @Raduziel wants to just change an appearance of monsters then that would be doable with making CEP or Project Q a patch hak and changing appearance.2da. No need to modify the actual campaign module. Additionally this project specifically overrides creatures that should work as override (no guarantee its not my project).
    Thanks everyone!

I solved my problem by throwing a bunch of files at the override folder. Now I can punch goblins and orcs for the right reasons.
  • FreshLemonBunFreshLemonBun Member Posts: 909
    Typically for NWN there isn't an issue where a modder can't create a package that self installs by clicking on an executable. The issue is that in NWN the emphasis is on building content which makes it more likely people will want resources to build their own adventures. On the other hand I believe there is also less desire for mods specific for the official campaigns, partly because these are not the primary ways to experience NWN. It could be possible for someone to make a self installing mod of the original campaign, and I'm sure they exist, however projects like the CEP and Project Q are more designed for custom modules and persistent worlds.
  • Nic_MercyNic_Mercy Member Posts: 418
    edited August 2018
    Raduziel said:

Nic_Mercy said:

Can you explain like I was five?

And can it be done with an ongoing game? Just passed the most boring battle ever against an Intellect Devourer and would prefer to crawl over glass before doing that again.
    I'll do my best to simplify:

1) Look in your nwn install for the DATA folder
    2) In the data folder find the NWM folder
    3) Make a backup of anything/everything you plan to edit
    4) You'll see the campaign modules. For example, Prelude.nwm is the prelude to the original campaign. The .nwm is the file extension. If you don't see the file extension you'll have to enable that in your folder properties.
    5) Change the file extension at the end of that file from .nwm to .mod
    6) Copy or move that file to the modules folder where you normally save your own modules or place downloaded modules.
    7) Fire up the toolset and load up that original campaign module you just put in the modules folder
    8) Edit till your heart's content (but be careful not to break anything).
    9) Once done editing change the file extension back to .nwm and move it back to the NWM folder (replacing the original that you've smartly backed up just in case)
    10) Fire up the game and see if you managed not to break anything/everything.

For the CPP, it was fairly simple. Most of the OC modules don't even use a mod_onload, and those that do can be easily merged with the CPP one so you can have all the CPP switches set how you want. I specifically wanted this functionality in the original campaigns for when I play Druids, Shifters, and Wizards/Sorcerers who like Polymorph/Shapechange for gear merging and to prevent spell loss.

CEP and Project Q are mostly visual changes as others have mentioned and they can really just use the override without needing to edit anything. I included the CEP modules while I was editing the OC's just so I didnt have to clutter my override.
    edited August 2018
    Just a note about community patch (CPP). You do not need to modify campaigns in any way to get CPP functionalities. CPP fixes/features are either automatic or optional. Optional features includes said module switches that changes some rules. But these switches can be, and should be, toggled via so called PC Widget Tool.

This is an item that runs a conversation that let player to set module switches he wants and these module switches will then be permanent for all other modules he will play.

To spawn PC Widget Tool, write following lines into chat

##Debug Mode 1

then

##dm_spawnitem 70_pcwidget

then

##Debug Mode 0

(to turn it off as with debug mode you will see all traps and get some debug messages that might hinder your gameplay)

the item will then appear under current position of the cursor. After you receive the item just use one of the unique powers and that will start the conversation that enable to change the module rules. It now also allows to hide/unhide helmet.
  • TibecTibec Member Posts: 4
    Nic_Mercy I did as you instructed in modding the Original Campaigns. I started small adding a couple of custom items to a placeable. When the mod in toolset the items are there, but when I start a new character the gear does not show up. Any ideas on what I might be doing wrong?
  • Shia_LuckShia_Luck Member Posts: 39
    @Tibec Are you sure you did step 9 of nic_mercy's guide? Check in the other modules tab and see if you have a premium one there and try that.

One thing nic_mercy didn't explicitly state is under the BUILD tab you should build the module after making your changes. Then save it. DId you do that?

Have fun :)
  • TibecTibec Member Posts: 4
    It has been awhile I forgot about building the module. I will try that thank you. I will also look for a premium one too.