Skip to content

So uh...how are you supposed to dispel a lich's combat protections?

I searched around and it seems they are immune to all spells of level 5 and below...but the highest level spell that will lower combat protections is level 5...and liches always start fights with something that negates magical weapons...

Are you just supposed to sit around for 4 rounds waiting for it to wear off? That seems really silly.

Also, how are you supposed to stop the lich from nuking your mages with AOE spells? All the high level spell protections like spell turning do not block incoming AOE damage. Globe of invul doesnt block high level stuff like horrid wilting.

I mean, sure, you can drink pots i guess, but it seems silly that in a mage duel, mages dont have anything to block level 5+ AOE spells.

I know about spell immunity but that only blocks one spell school.

Comments

• Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,320
    Mages have lots of protection spells - cold, fire, lightning, energy are all available separately and there are also high-level combination spells.

If you use SCS there's an option to allow breach to affect liches.
  • Jaheiras_WitnessJaheiras_Witness Member Posts: 614
    Vanilla game you cannot Breach liches, so options are Remove Magic if sufficiently high level or via Inquisitor or wait it out / attack with spells.

With SCS you can Breach but you need to remove spell defences first with stuff like Pierce Magic, Warding Whip or Ruby Ray.

You can defend mages against AoE damage with Protection from Fire and Protection from Magic Energy (those two spells between them will take care of 99% of AoE issues).
    Vanilla game you cannot Breach liches, so options are Remove Magic if sufficiently high level or via Inquisitor or wait it out / attack with spells.

With SCS you can Breach but you need to remove spell defences first with stuff like Pierce Magic, Warding Whip or Ruby Ray.

You can defend mages against AoE damage with Protection from Fire and Protection from Magic Energy (those two spells between them will take care of 99% of AoE issues).
  • borntodieborntodie Member Posts: 199
    Mace of dispelling seems to kill them right through their protections.
    If you mean Mace of Disruption +2, that will not work against PFMW but will work against Stoneskins or Mantle.
  • Question2Question2 Member Posts: 74
    Uh isnt remove magic a level 3 spell and hence, cannot affect liches?
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    Internally, Remove Magic and Dispel Magic use level-0 effects, meaning they're not blocked by the normal 'immune to level x' protections.
  • borntodieborntodie Member Posts: 199
    Another option is to use a scroll of protection from magic on the lich. This removes all of the magical protections from the lich and makes all of his spells fail as well.

You can use the scroll from a projected image or simulacrum if you want to use this trick repeatedly.
  • Question2Question2 Member Posts: 74
    Uh, protection of magic scrolls says the target is the caster. Being able to use it offensively sounds like a glitch...
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,320
    Protection from magic scrolls in the latest BGEE version are user only, but in BG2EE they can be used on a target (as they could in vanilla BG2).
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    To be fair, it seems logical that they do cast high level protections to prevent adventurers from dispelling it with low level spells. That said, I usually distract then with summons and when their protections wear off I shoot them with magical missiles . Elementals are strong against them, as well.