Skip to content

Anti Magic Attack for Druids

I am playing ScS as solo Shapeshifter druid. I installed improved shapeshifting from Scs so i can cast spells in shapeshift form. However when i encounter mages with Spell Immunity: Abjuration and Spell Deflection/Trap, it is hard to overcome their defences. My dispel magic won't work, i am waiting their buffs to fall off. It takes too much time sometimes so is there an item for druids that gives antimagic attack like Ruby ray riversal as a chargable ability? Or are there any other way to bring down their SI:Abjuration?

Thks

Comments

• smyth25smyth25 Member Posts: 219
    Unfortunately anti-magic options on druids are simply rather limited. One method would be to buy scrolls of protection from magic (Adventurer's mart sells 2 scrolls, not sure of any other locations), and then cast it upon the enemy mage so that all their protections are dispelled AND they suffer spell failure. However since these scrolls are rather rare, this isn't a very efficient solution (unless you haven't installed the SCS component in which simulacrum clones can't use items).

The best solution is probably just to use summons to distract the mage and wait out PfMW so that you can attack the mage. Summoned Deva's also have a 25% chance of dispelling effects on each attack so they could bring down a enemy mage's protections so long as PfMW has worn off.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Cast Insect Plague. It hits the mage, and they have 100% spell failure. Then you can just walk up and whack them. If the mage is invisible when comat starts, summon a creature, cast Insect Plague on the creature when its near the mage, and the swarm will find the mage through invisibility. Druids are (offensively) the best mage killer. Unless you use the SCS component that makes stoneskin and fireshiled block the swarm.
  • Durmir46Durmir46 Member Posts: 110
    edited August 2018
    Unfortunately options are rather limited indeed. You need to know the game very well and plan your fight accordingly. There is a thread (quite recent) about mage killers. Consensus was that druids can kill most mages, but it's very slow, and are not very good mage killers overall. If you have an inquisitor with you (Keldorn), or some mage, it will make your life a lot easier. Someone mentioned that in-game tests led to believe warriors are the most suited, so that opens up many NPC options for you.
  • ariakas2ariakas2 Member Posts: 80
    ThacoBell said:

Cast Insect Plague. It hits the mage, and they have 100% spell failure. Then you can just walk up and whack them. If the mage is invisible when comat starts, summon a creature, cast Insect Plague on the creature when its near the mage, and the swarm will find the mage through invisibility. Druids are (offensively) the best mage killer. Unless you use the SCS component that makes stoneskin and fireshiled block the swarm.

Unfortunately they are installed, also spell deflection/trap blocks them from what i see. Though it can work if it is cast to a nearby creature.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @Durmir46 There was no consensus that Druids were slow to kill mages. YOU claimed that and then multilple people immediately pointed out how you were wrong.

@ariakas2 That's unfortunate. In that case, yeah, SCS has screwed you from being able to fight a mage with anything ither than slow mage chess. I was never a fan of how SCS forces certain "correct" tactics for the sake of difficulty, as opposed to the tactical complaexity of the base game.
  • Durmir46Durmir46 Member Posts: 110
    You can read this thread:
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/71994/which-class-do-you-think-is-the-best-mage-killer/p1

There is plenty of nice information there, especially for druids.
    You will see that 89% of the community don't think druids are quite the best mage killers around, but don't get discouraged.
    If you go close to the end of the thread, you will notice very insightful posts from semiticgod, borntodie or borek, some of which directly address scs druid vs mage. You may find something useful there.

Again, however, NPCs may be your best bet I believe. We would need to check again with in-game tests and independently, but it may be worth giving fighters a chance (Korgan....), or obviously inquisitors.