Skip to content

Duel-classing Thief?

Hey, so while I'm not new to the game, I AM a bit new to the idea of duel-classing, as I used to just multi-class. While the question is really more pertinent to BG II, I still want to ask. Is it possible to duel-class a thief into a ranger? I don't like the idea of duel-classing into most of the other options, as there's no backstab option for most of them. I know you can't multi-class as a thief/Ranger, but is it at all different duel-classing? Or am I still limited to fighter, mage, or cleric? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    I don't think you can dual class into any combination you can't multiclass with. I'm pretty sure Ranger/Thief isn't an allowed combo. I wish it were though, it's one of my favorite thematic combinations.
  • Magical_TrevorMagical_Trevor Member Posts: 57
    @CaptRory

Dangit... Do you know WHY though? I mean, that's what I wanted to duel-class into! I mean, they both have hide skills, wear the same armors, have virtually the same weapon access... Dangit.
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    Um.... Because... the Kool-Aid man is red?
  • Time4TiddyTime4Tiddy Member Posts: 262
    edited November 2012
    There are some lore related reasons, such as why only non-humans can multi-class (longer life spans). The only Ranger combo allowed is Ranger/Cleric multi, and then only if you are half-elf.

With thief you get fighter, cleric, or mage as a multi or dual class option, or Fighter/Mage/Thief as a multi only. If you are trying to make a "Ranger/Thief" honestly there is almost no difference from a Fighter/Thief. The thief levels give the fighter stealth, the fighter levels give the thief higher THAC0, and higher hp - the only thing a Ranger really gets beyond that is a favored enemy, charm animal, and a few spells that you can't really even access in BG1.
    @Time4Tiddy Well, like I said, this was MOSTLY for BGII, honestly. but there were several reasons in my head why. First, Rangers also have a natural stealth that Fighters do not. Once they get up there in levels, they can also cast Divine spells, so that's the other main thing I wanted. I hadn't given much thought to the favoured enemy, honestly. I just didn't want to go from a Thief to a Fighter because they're kind of less and less useful the further into the game you get. (IMO)

Oh well. I'll worry about that later, then. I'll probably just go Thief or Paladin like I normally do. XD
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    The rule for Dual-Classes is that you can't do a Dual-Class of anything you can't Multi-Class.

So you can do:
    Fighter/Thief or Thief/Fighter
    Fighter/Cleric or Cleric/Fighter
    Fighter/Mage or Mage/Fighter
    Cleric/Thief or Thief/Cleric
    Thief/Mage or Mage/Thief
    Cleric/Mage or Mage/Cleric
    Fighter/Druid or Druid/Fighter
    Ranger/Cleric or Cleric/Ranger

...And that's it.

Also if you want to maximize your levels based on BG1/BG:EE's experience cap of 161,000:

Fighter 7/Thief 8, Thief 6/Fighter 8
    Fighter 6/Cleric 8, Cleric 6/Fighter 8
    Fighter 6/Mage 8 (honestly I'd go for Fighter 5/Mage 9 though), Mage 6/Fighter 8
    Cleric 7/Thief 8, Thief 7/Cleric 8
    Thief 7/Mage 8 (honestly I'd go for Thief 6/Mage 9 though), Mage 7/Thief 8
    Cleric 7/Mage 8, Mage 6/Cleric 8
    Fighter 7/Druid 9 (epic!), Druid 7/Fighter 8
    Ranger 6/Cleric 8, Cleric 6/Ranger 7 (that's terrible ... do yourself a favor and multi-class this one)
  • PeachesPeaches Member Posts: 2
    If you're wanting to Dual Class a Thief into your character, what I have *always* used has been: Swashbuckler, level him 'till 15 (get the 3 +1 Hit/Damage and +1 AC bonuses). Then Dual-Class him to what-ever I want. I have found that's a particularly nasty Fighter Combo. (Got it to be highest[er lowest] Armor in game, I believe).
    @Quarts : Wow, that was REALLY in-depth! O.o Thanks! I've got a lot of thinking to do, and not much time to do it in! XD Thanks for all of the level caps info!

@Peaches : Hmm... Yeah, I was debating that, potentially, but... I'm not sure. I've almost always been a Paladin in II, but I'm considering other options. Mostly for more freedom to join other multi-player parties. :3 Thanks for that idea, though! That sounds really deadly!