Skip to content

various questions on NPCs and small parties

In order to stave off a possible case of chronic restarteritis with my Cav run, I was thinking of starting a new saga run with another favorite class and just switch back and forth as needed. This is the plan for that:

Minsc, Jah, Imoen->Yoshi->Imoen, and my shadowkeepered Cleric/Wild Mage.

Obviously, I'd have Khalid and Jah for BG1, but I'm more concerned with BG2.

Plan is to throw Minsc in the heaviest armor possible with dex bracers and he would be my dual wielding tank (probably axes and flails to start, bastard swords later) . Jah (on spears and staves) would druid it up a bit and then join him as needed (or pre-buff with ironskins and the like and take the lead). Yoshi on bows and when I get Imoen back, we would be maging it up from the back line.

Various questions come to mind with this plan.

1) I want to do the NPC quests for the experience (story and actual points), but I don't want the NPCs in my party sucking up the experience (actual points and, in the case of Haer Dalis, the story). For each NPC, is there a way to get the quest, but not have to have them in the party?

2) IMO, this party seems a little melee light (1 tank and 1 backup), but I'm intentionally trying to keep it small to help offset the split experience for the MC C/WM. Minsc is kinda going to be out there up front on his own a lot; any tips for keeping him alive?

3) Between Imoen and myself, that's two mages. I've never done a two mage party. How do you split up all the uber mage gear in this case?

Thanks!