Skip to content

I had a Rep of 5 ... disliked ... which I had no idea how it happened to drop that low ... but I thought I had a bit of a cushion. Then I went and recruited Viconia, which dropped my Rep to 3. The chart I had didn't indicate anything too disasterous would happen (I had all evil characters in the party, so wasn't going to break anyone), but doing so immediately spawned a slew of cowled enforcers who accused us of heinous crimes and promptly killed everybody off. For some reason, I thought that wouldn't happen until Rep dropped to 1 or 2. Clearly I was wrong.

So I loaded up a saved game, dismissed Viconia and re-recruited Jeheira ... who promptly denounced me as a foul brigand and left forever. What's that about? I had thought that dismissing Viconia brought the Rep back up by 2, but somehow Jaheira got wind of it, even though she was sitting in Harper Hall at the time, and broke. I had to go back to an even earlier save to get her back. How annoying.

Any comments or suggestions? (Yes, I know I can donate to the Temples to keep Rep up, but I was pretty broke at the time, having dropped a bundle on some items like girdle of giant strength, rod of resurrection etc.)

Comments

• dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    edited September 2018
    Other than spam stealing/selling back to raise money for donations or going to Trademeet and doing all the quests there (you can inadvertently get so many rep points there that I avoided it completely with my current Thoroughly Evil party) I can't think of anything really useful.

What I would look at however is how your rep got as low as 5 in the first place. My aforementioned evil party (which is now in ToB) struggled to keep their rep down to 12 - are you sure you didn't randomly kill some innocents by mistake?
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,318
    Reputation of 3 is indeed the trigger to have a chance of spawning hostile groups.
  • FrdNwsmFrdNwsm Member Posts: 1,069
    edited September 2018
    Now that I think about it, there was a point where we might have had some collateral casualties. While doing Jan's quest and fighting those Githyanki on the second floor of the Inn, there were a couple of civilians who, moronically enough, kept wandering in and out of rooms and into the hallway which had become an out and out battlefield. I think one may have caught the edge of a lightning bolt or fireball. Hard to tell with all the stuff flying back and forth ... Githyanki are no joke. Seriously, those civvies have no sense of self preservation. Would you hang around munching popcorn and gawking while two rival gangs shot it out on the street with AK47s and grenades 30 yards away from you?

And my guys are all hovering around 10th level or so; we haven't gotten to the meaty quests which raise Rep. I'm trying to cover all the early quests I have that are still left over from Ch. 2. High Rep isn't one of my worries at the moment.

So, Rep of 3 can trigger the posse; good to know. Thanks.