Skip to content

Looking for critique of my Stalker/Cleric build

This is a Siblings-only run with Yoshi thrown in for trapmonkeying and story purposes.

Character: (obviously edited) Stalker/Cleric, Gnome (I despise all things Elven) and doing the Ranger Stronghold
Pretty much exclusively using staves (slings when needed), May dabble with FoA+DoE for BG2, probably not, though. I'm pretty married to staves as part of the concept.
I was/am open to going/switching to Halfling, too, but I figured that Gnomes are more quirky and nature oriented. Figured it fit the concept of the build.

S 18/53, D 18, C, 18, I 10, W 14, CH 17 (rolled it in about 15 seconds thanks to being a ranger)
  • Pre-spellhold gear (I'm looking to travel light until I get a bag of holding w/ Imoen)
  • Helm of Balduran (it's free and has good bonuses), considered Vhailor's helm
  • Prior to Shadow Scale, tossed between Orc Leather +3 (free, ac 4, 10% missile resistance), Aeger's Hide (not free and also hide armor, but elemental resistance and immune to confusion) or Armor of Deep Night (not free and no extra abilities, but AC 3)
  • Sensate Amulet for general use, Amulet of Power when needed, and a Necklace of Missiles for the missiles. Whatever I'm not using can be stored in a gem bag
  • Boots of Speed (for hit and run tactics), can't think of anything better here
  • Tempted to go AC3 bracers to complement Aeger's Hide if I go that route. Regardless, Gauntlets of Weapon Expertise after Shadow Scale regardless
  • Girdle of Piercing/Slashing/Bluntness? Belt of inertial barrier? I'll already have 19 Strength coming out of BG1 and there are none better by the time you leave town for spellhold. However, if I were to switch to halfling, it would warrant a strength belt
  • Cloak of non-detection, because f*ck True Sight, I've heard a few interesting tricks using the rat form for cloak of the sewers though
  • Rings, I guess whatever the situation calls for. I can keep whatever I'm not using in a gem bag
  • I'm torn between the Staff Mace and the Staff of Rynn. Staff mace will allow a shield, and AC still matters pre-spellhold. Not to mention, the beholder shield makes that part of the game a breeze. Otherwise, I'd probably go with Shield of harmony because it's a smaller shield (RP reasons, a tower shield on a sneaky ranger?) However, the staff of Rynn can hit anything pre-Tob with it's +4. Maybe I'll have to sacrifice the inventory space and carry both?
  • Sling of Seeking, long story short, with my mods, it's the only one that will give me my strength bonus. Sling of Everard was a contented though (+5 to hit, free ammo).
This is what I'm thinking so far. Anything else I should consider?