Skip to content

Plate of the Dark

I just finished the Candlekeep Catacombs and when I went to the Sorcerous Sundries I came across Tamoko. Out of curiosity I killed her and discovered this full plate +1. Is it worth killing her for this armor, assuming it'll be helpful for the Tales of the Sword Coast and the Siege of Dragonspear content or will I lose out on anything by doing so?

If I understand correctly, I can use my party and their equipment from BGEE in BG:SoD. What stuff can be imported into BG2EE?

Thanks ^^

Comments

• ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    edited September 2018
    Spoiler alert, but
    you'll get to fight her later anyway. You'll get the armor either way

Most people don't use the armor. Regular Full Plate plus a piece of protection jewelry can get you the same armor plus boost your saves.

Though enchanted armor is usually more lightweight than unenchanted armor so if you're really having a hard time carrying all your stuff you could try it out.

It is I think one of the best suits available to Wizard Slayers though, so if you're a wizard slayer then totally go for it.
  • NeoptolemusNeoptolemus Member Posts: 26

Spoiler alert, but

you'll get to fight her later anyway. You'll get the armor either way

Most people don't use the armor. Regular Full Plate plus a piece of protection jewelry can get you the same armor plus boost your saves.

Though enchanted armor is usually more lightweight than unenchanted armor so if you're really having a hard time carrying all your stuff you could try it out.

It is I think one of the best suits available to Wizard Slayers though, so if you're a wizard slayer then totally go for it.
    With a plus 2 protection item regular full plate can even be better.
  • CruelIntentionsCruelIntentions Member Posts: 10
    edited September 2018
    Curiously the plate of the dark provides -4 slashing, -3 piercing and -3 missile, while a regular full plate gives -3 slashing, -2 piercing and -2 missile according to the descriptions. However, when I equip the full plate mail it gives the same as the plate of the dark.
    Post edited by CruelIntentions on
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975

Curiously the plate of the dark provides -4 slashing, -3 piercing and -3 missile, while a regular full plate gives -3 slashing, -2 piercing and -2 missile according to the descriptions. However, when I equip the full plate mail it gives the same as the plate of the dark.

are you looking at your "armor modifier" window? if so, both are the same, its just that the base of full plate mail is 1 and plate of the dark is 0, hence the reason why slashing with plate of the dark is -4 and full plate is -3, they both have the same slashing/piercing/missile armor modifiers, its just that the plate of the dark has 1 lower ( so better ) AC

when you look at your armor modifiers on the right side of your inventory window, you subtract those modifiers from your current AC to see what your AC would be against that weapon

so for example: lets say your current AC is -5, and your slashing modifier is -4, that would mean that your AC against slashing would be -9

lets say you put on some chainmail and your current AC is -5, but your crushing modifier is +2, that means against crushing weapons your actual AC will be -3 ( not -5 )

so as you can see based on this, plate of the dark does give you better AC, but as mentioned before, full plate geared up with a ring/cloak of protection +2 is better because not only will that give more AC but also a saving throw bonus

and if im not mistaken you can pick pocket some rings of protection +2 in SoD making full platemail still better

basically the only way that plate of the dark is good armor is if you never found any items of protection or just don't have enough to go around for your full plated warriors

so worse case scenario if its full plate with no items of protection or plate of the dark, then plate of the dark is better, but if you have any items of protection you can mix with your full plate mail, then you might as well sell plate of the dark for that sweetski cash if ya need it ( actually save it for SoD and sell it there :) )