Skip to content

Tips for a first timer?

ArtemasArtemas Member Posts: 9
I purchased the first two games about a week after the EE was announced, but never was able to play due to a computer error, so this will be the first time I am able to try Baldur's gate in any capacity. Are there any noob-friendly classes?
I keep hearing that a pure fighter class is not that good, which saddens me being that is my go to class for most PnP games.

Comments

• ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Pure fighter is fine really. Good choice for a first playthrough. Paladin is a classic first-time choice as well.
  • MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    Well BG games are more about controlling the whole party than just your own character anyway. I'd say pick whatever you want it's not that hard.
  • ArtemasArtemas Member Posts: 9
    Spiffy. Thank you. I have played the Dragon age games, as far as I can tell BG looks like an older version of it. so I don't think it will destroy me to badly.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    Fighter class in an excellent start actually. I don't know where you heard otherwise, the pureclass fighter is the best. Of course, the kit Berserker gets some neat advantages, but there's also disadvantages.

So, some neat tips? Well, I wouldn't like to spoil all of the fun for you, so I'll try to keep it brief :

Always consider all situations. By this I mean, what you might need in certain situations. Ranged weapons are your friend, always have something ranged as your backup weapon. If you use shields and cannot equip a bow when you wear a sword, just hop into the inventory screen, the game pauses there. It's the perfect opportunity to switch weapons.

Keep a distance from the enemies. Sure, some enemies aren't really a threat, but that's what you think. A gibberling might as well score a critical hit and instantly kill you if you're not careful. So wear a helmet! ;)

Keep good company - balance out your party with the opportunities that arise as you go on in your travels. The more people you'll have with you, the faster you'll take care of certain enemies, even stronger ones like ogres! Sure, it's gonna mean that you'll level up slower, but in the end, you'll be rewarded just fine!

I am sure there's gonna be many more detailed tips before or after my post is sent, but if you got any specific question, feel free to ask. :)
  • ElendarElendar Member Posts: 831
    A warrior type like pure fighter is actually quite solid for a first playthrough... While in the very end they aren't as powerful as a multiclassed character or even a pure mage, they are much easier to play being less likely to be the character that croaks (and if the protagonist dies, game over... you can resurrect party members but not the main character).
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    edited November 2012
    This should really go in the "help for new players (no spoilers)" section.
  • brtl33brtl33 Member Posts: 17
    fighter is definitely the easiest class to play (all you really have to worry about is equipment), and it's not that it isn't a good class (especially for bg 1) it's more that the kit classes have more benefits and age generally better for dual classing and powergaming. Originally bg1 didn't have kit classes, so a pure fighter should be just fine in game. Ranged fighters are particularly powerful in bg1 (immunity to missle weapons is rare at best). Utility thieves are pretty easy to use as well, however backstabbers require micromanaging.
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    If you want to roll a fighter, what kinds of weapons would you like to use? Fighter can Super-Hyper-Specialize, so it's good picking only a few kinds and styles and going with that.
  • KoreKore Member Posts: 245
    On a different note, you will get so much more out of this game if you explore everything. Don't be afraid to wander off into the wilderness, but make sure to save often.

Also, don't be afraid to use potions, it's what they're there for!
    edited November 2012
    elminster said:

This should really go in the "help for new players (no spoilers)" section.

Sorry. Did not even see that in my haste/multi-tasking.

Im excited to see such positive stuff about the fighter class it really is the first time I have heard good things about it. Thanks for the other tips too, you guys are really awesome here!
  • PlasticGolemPlasticGolem Member Posts: 98
    Success is based on building a party with complimentary abilities, so the class you choose is based in part on who you'd like to adventure with. But since you haven't played the game before and don't seem to want any spoilers, I'd say pick a class that a party would benefit from having two or more of in order to maintain maximum flexibility in choosing companions. That means fighter certainly. Mage or cleric, maybe. Thief, probably not so much. Maybe avoid the rarefied classes like monk, bard or sorcerer which depend on a lot of nursemaiding, finessing and/or knowing exactly what to expect in order to develop the character for long-term effectiveness.

A fighter is the easiest class to learn to play effectively, and no party ever suffered too badly for having to many of them. It doesn't provide the same tactical depth as some other classes, but they can do a lot more than some players might think and are not optimally used as simple meat shields and brute melee attackers.
  • Venerate1Venerate1 Member Posts: 16
    Best advice I could ever give with Bg is to take your time and enjoy it. Talk to everyone, explore every corner. This is a game from an age when such things were meant to be a fine wine, sipped and savoured rather than a shot of jaeger to be glugged and forgotten a week later ;)
  • NukeninNukenin Member Posts: 327
    Set every auto pause option initially, then disable any that annoy you as you play until you find the right balance for your play style. Otherwise you might spend a considerable portion of the game not realizing you can have the game pause automagically when X occurs.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    @Artemas - fighters are fine. Important to use their biggest strength (early on) and that is lots of proficiency points in your chosen weapon. Weapon styles are also very important, as they give a little extra advantage. There's one for:

* 2-handed weapon fighting to make this style more effectively if you go great sword, spear, halberd, quarterstaff or trident (I think I got them all)

* Single weapon fighting - if you use a single-hand weapon, but no shield. Not a recommended setup for fighters, but it does work

* sword and shield style - makes the single-hand weapon with a shield combo better

* two-weapon fighting - Very good for non-fighters, because they don't get extra attacks per round. It is good for fighters, too, but not as vital to them

Essentially, pick what you like and make your warrior a killing machine! Good luck.

Side-note I get really excited to see first time players and new person in the BG community.
  • IntoTheDarknessIntoTheDarkness Member Posts: 118
    edited November 2012
    Fighter is a good choice for beginners. I can take solo sorcerer and beat the entire BG2/TOB without taking 1hp damage on insane difficulty, but that doesn't mean sorcerer is a *good class* for someone who doesn't understand spell mechanics quite well and know what spells to pick. For beginners, mage is a better choice for spell casters. Likewase, a pure fighter will eventually become less powerful than Kensai or any other fighter-xxx multilcassed character at the late stage, but they will be much easier to play in BG1 and early to mid BG2 portion of the game.

But if you want to play the most powerful class in the game, Sorcerer and Fighter/mage/thief are the best.
  • badbromancebadbromance Member Posts: 238
    You should consider a fighter/cleric multi? Great buffing spells and just as effective on the frontlines although it will restrict your weapon choices. For even more durability a shorty race will help with some saves :)
    I'd also suggest making a few characters and playing them for 20mins or so each and go from there. Good luck
  • paulsifer42paulsifer42 Member Posts: 267
    I think fighter would work fine. I'm no min/maxer, so I don't know what is the most powerful, but I do know that it's a good idea for the PC to have a lot of hit points your first play through, because if he/she dies, it's game over. So, high constitution and any class that gives lots of hit points, like fighters or rangers.
  • The_Guilty_PartyThe_Guilty_Party Member Posts: 44
    The most important tip: get ranged weapons for everyone in your party. Bows, crossbows, slings, whatever. It helps immeasurably to be able to whittle down opponents as they charge at you, *and* bows get two attacks per round. Just don't forget to switch back to swords and clubs when they're in your face; you get a penalty for trying to shoot at someone meleeing you, if I recall correctly.
  • DeathMachineMiyagiDeathMachineMiyagi Member Posts: 120

Just don't forget to switch back to swords and clubs when they're in your face; you get a penalty for trying to shoot at someone meleeing you, if I recall correctly.

For the first part of the game especially, it's also perfectly acceptable to just keep running and shooting, running and shooting, without ever stopping to actually endanger any of your characters by putting them in range for a melee enemy to hit them. The best battle is one in which the damage is entirely one-sided.

Ranged weapons in BG1 are insanely powerful.
  • colonel_burgercolonel_burger Member Posts: 279
    Don't be afraid to recruit npcs and use them as bait
  • joshykinsjoshykins Member Posts: 95
    Read the manual and become familiar with the spells! So important! Also, ranged characters have a huge advantage, equip your mages with a ranged weapon when they're not tossing spells.
  • mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    use lube
  • cyberarmycyberarmy Member Posts: 128
    Get a pure fighter with high dex. and focus on greatbows&2 handed weapons. Try to find Kivan the sniper elf after game really begins :) Run&shoot tactics are very effective early game.
    Save a lot and on different slots, not just only quicksave.
    Get a cleric in party ASAP for Command, Remove Fear and Hold Person.
    Always search for traps in dungeons/caves with your thieves.
    And dont trust the skull! (wait this was for another game :P)
  • ZinodinZinodin Member Posts: 153
    ... Well, there's this guy named Minsc. He's really talking to his space hamster Boo, but it can be applied in most combat situations. "Go for the eyes, Boo!"
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    Any class can finish the game.

Tip2: never be afraid to run away.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    Use protection!

Seriously though, assemble a balanced party with healing, thieving, spellcasting, and frontline "tanks."

The bow (including crossbow) is very powerful in BG1, so it's always a smart idea to have a couple characters who can use one from the back row.

Spellcasting makes a huge diference. Learn your spells!

Here is a tutorial thread that should prove helpful. You can find many more like it in the help-for-new-players(no-spoilers) forum.
    Have not played it and it already sounds deeper than 90% of the modern market. I really hope this type of game makes a comeback. I thank you all so much, I really appreciate this.
  • RavenXRavenX Member Posts: 86
    Take everything that isn't nailed down in Candlekeep. Just do it. You start poor.
  • cyberarmycyberarmy Member Posts: 128
    Regretfully modern market games becoming "Dragon's Lair" like day by day. More cutscenes, auto dialogs and flashy animations but less content and gameplay.
    Yet they sell millions....
  • KatukovKatukov Member Posts: 2
    There are still a lot of good walkthroughs on the internet, to help ya out.