Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

We need your feedback on the new forum text editor switch.
Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition has been released! Visit nwn.beamdog.com to make an order. NWN:EE FAQ is available.
Soundtracks for BG:EE, SoD, BG2:EE, IWD:EE, PST:EE are now available in the Beamdog store.
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

Is the game really as trial & error as it feels?

OrrionOrrion Member, Array Posts: 1
Question: Is BG just, in general, a t&e game like most CRPGs that exist? It's a pretty simple question. I like insight into this sort of thing, so I like answers to this sort of thing. Most of all, though, I like discussion on it. Simple!

I don't need to give backstory on why I'm here, but I can simplify it and say "I wanted to troll people for revenge but then I realized the forums here are not the forums on Steam." I get constant, conflicting answers to my question about the game though, so here I am to know for [semi?] sure!

Post edited by Orrion on

Comments

• BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 4,699
    I'm pretty sure we all learned whatever level of expertise we have with the game through years of trial and error with the combat encounters. Each encounter is a lot like a puzzle you have to solve. Once you know the solution, or one of the solutions, to the puzzle, it's easy from then on, and you can't go back to not knowing how to solve the puzzle. That's why so many people use SCS and then play the game solo with different character classes and combos - it creates new puzzles for them to enjoy solving.

I still remember the first time I fought Tarnesh on the steps of the FAI. I reloaded at least ten times, and I almost gave up on the game in frustration, wondering how the developers could have possibly intended such an early encounter to be so difficult. I didn't know the solutions to make it easy - Remove Fear, use the guards, use archery and the wand instead of melee, don't reject Montaron's and Xzar's help, hold Charname back, etc.

StummvonBordwehrdunbarThacoBellConjurerDragon
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 6,712
    It takes a little while to learn the game.

• UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 1,983

Everything you learn is partly trial and error.

But BG has enough inconsistances/random chance to throw a curve ball frequently.

And that's one of the reasons the constant fixing and fiddling with the game pisses me off.
    The smoother and more consistant the game becomes, the less it will engage.

Take pathfinding, jeez louise the endless complaints. But watching (or more frequently missing) one of the NPC's wandering off adds to the challenge.
    It got me killed the other day.
    Yes it shouldn't have happened.
    Yes it renewed interest in reloading and playing again.

• GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,304
    I would say it is a little more than trial and error, but that is a fair starting point. I prefer to think of it as trial, error, and intuition. Many of our trials are guided by an ability to reason about how the game world works, and there is a staggering complexity to reveal. However, even sitting with a full manual about how the different combat and magic and ability systems interact, the complexity is such that you will only distill the truth via experimentation, which is where the trial and error comes in ;)

While the game can seem intimidating at first, you can beat it with a fairly basic mastery of the combat mechanics, and that has many more trials than errors. To truly master the game though, you must master the arcane arts, and that is something that continues to defeat me to this day (as I lack the patience for determined study). However, even a basic understanding can be acquired by paying attention and learning from your errors, to achieve sufficient intuition to truly enjoy the game (which is about my level!)

ThacoBell
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 379
    Especially when you're new there's a lot of just trying stuff out to see what works.

As you learn your way around the system you'll be able to make educated guesses more often.

ThacoBell
  • NeoptolemusNeoptolemus Member Posts: 8
    edited September 9
    If by trial and error you mean 'blindly trying solutions until one works', then no it isn't. You can think through an encounter (combat and non combat) before acting and often figure out an approach that works. There's relatively few places where the ai cheats and gains an unfair example (although been a long time since I played without SCS)

I've just finished chapter four in my current play through and had a lot of fun using my stalker pcs ability to stealth to scout ahead and plan out how to face enemies. Often using invisibility potions to position my party they way I wanted and then starting combat with a series of backstab, wand attacks and other planned moves to seize the advantage.

Of course even the best planned strategies can fail depending on the way you opponent responds. So sometimes you have to try several times to get it right.

I agree with the above comments though, with the puzzles and encounters once you know how to beat them they become almost trivial if you use your meta knowledge.

ThacoBell